Peabody Vanderbilt Fall 2017

hopefulPhD2017

17 hours ago, Espeon said:

Last year, some people had already been rejected by now (specifically, some PhD applicants' applications received a status update on January 24th last year). Has anyone seen anything like this for this year? 

I haven't. There's only been a few PhD applicants to Peabody to post at all on Grad Cafe, so who knows what's really going on out there. 

On 1/20/2017 at 2:38 PM, kmcoole2 said:

Hi! I applied to the Master of Special Education Severe Disabilities Program and have not heard anything back. However, I followed up with the admissions coordinator for my program yesterday and he said that they were hoping to have full decisions made (for at least my area of study) by the end of January. I hope this helps!

Hi! I applied to this exact program and heard back Friday morning. I was accepted! My email was sitting in the junk folder, though, so I would definitely look there and look at the official Vanderbilt website. Hope you hear good news!

8 minutes ago, bjoshi said:

Hi! I applied to this exact program and heard back Friday morning. I was accepted! My email was sitting in the junk folder, though, so I would definitely look there and look at the official Vanderbilt website. Hope you hear good news!

Hi! Congratulations! I actually got an email yesterday asking for a video conference but didn't get an acceptance letter. Did you get the video conference email? I feel like I'm not in :( 

8 minutes ago, kmcoole2 said:

Hi! Congratulations! I actually got an email yesterday asking for a video conference but didn't get an acceptance letter. Did you get the video conference email? I feel like I'm not in :( 

No, I did not :( The first email told me to check the official website. On the official application website, there was a letter of acceptance. Earlier today, I received another email that had my official acceptance letter. Best of luck for the video conference. It would be terrible to reject over a video conference, so I'm hoping that all goes well for you! Sending you tons of positive vibes.

On 1/30/2017 at 3:36 PM, nesasp said:

Sharing some numbers I came across earlier today! 

179 +/- students have already been admitted into the professional and graduate program summer/fall 2017! 

Does anyone know how many students enroll total Masters/Phd?   

US News reports total enrollment as 908 - I'm guessing that includes undergrads in the program as well? 

Just FYI, each Ph.D. program at Peabody is small. Ph.D. programs in Teaching and Learning tend to be larger than those in the other departments.

On 1/31/2017 at 8:58 PM, nashville0808 said:

Just FYI, each Ph.D. program at Peabody is small. Ph.D. programs in Teaching and Learning tend to be larger than those in the other departments.

I'm not sure the last part of your statement is true. Last year there were 5 admitted to T&L, and I believe LPO had closer to 10.

hi everyone! long-time lurker here! i saw a question abt peabody acceptances in the "results" section of the site, so i thought i would reply here, in hopes that it'll alleviate some anxiety. 

i was granted admissions to the ed.d. in leadership and policy, for k-12, on february 2nd. it was an email that said "vanderbilt university decision update." i then clicked on the link to my application, which led to a "status update" link with the admissions offer. 

im beyond excited about the opportunity! compared to other ed schools, vanderbilt really strikes a lovely balance among research, policy and practice.  if there are others out there, please post too! and if anyone has further questions, id be happy to answer them. hoping for good news for the ed.d. in higher education folks!

6 hours ago, nashville said:

hi everyone! long-time lurker here! i saw a question abt peabody acceptances in the "results" section of the site, so i thought i would reply here, in hopes that it'll alleviate some anxiety. 

i was granted admissions to the ed.d. in leadership and policy, for k-12, on february 2nd. it was an email that said "vanderbilt university decision update." i then clicked on the link to my application, which led to a "status update" link with the admissions offer. 

im beyond excited about the opportunity! compared to other ed schools, vanderbilt really strikes a lovely balance among research, policy and practice.  if there are others out there, please post too! and if anyone has further questions, id be happy to answer them. hoping for good news for the ed.d. in higher education folks!

Are you the 167/160 GRE score person? If so...

Just out of curiosity - why did you choose the EdD route instead of PhD?

yes i am. i chose the ed.d. route because i find myself more of a practitioner. i like being on the ground. in my near decade of teaching, i have sensed a disconnect between policy and how it manifests in the classroom. it is really startling to me. for example, in early childhood, we have kept recess times extremely short (15 minutes roughly per day) and have raised the bar to demand that kindergarteners read at a dra 8 by the end of the year. there is a lot of developmentally inappropriate policies being implemented and teachers not equipped to defend our instincts w research. sigh!

i also have chosen the ed.d. route because i really love my school and administration, amidst all the imperfections. if i were to have chosen to pursue a phd, that would have meant leaving a community i love, without having yet left the biggest impact possible. the ed.d. capstone project is a way to bridge the policy, research, and practice divides. im really excited for its potential to bring further transformation to my school. 

what about you? why did you pursue phd over edd or vice versa? just curious myself.

Edited by nashville

19 hours ago, nashville said:

Congratulations @nashville! That's awesome news. Thanks for coming out of the shadows to share.

@hopefulPhD2017, thank you! i have been in a sort of shock the past couple of days.  it has been very humbling, thinking about how special the opportunity is and how heavy the responsibility to bring more refined expertise back into our communities, in the fight for equity.  i wish you the very best! it would be so neat for us to cross-pollinate ideas, between phd and edd cohorts. maybe we will get to meet in person in nashville sometime soon! good luck and keep breathing! it will all turn out fine!! 

On 2/2/2017 at 11:29 AM, vaporeon said:

I'm not sure the last part of your statement is true. Last year there were 5 admitted to T&L, and I believe LPO had closer to 10.

What I meant is a general statement, not for one particular year. If you look at the number of students in each cohort over time (from at least around 2005), there are years in which they admitted a lot more students than the other departments. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017/1/26 at 0:47 AM, Yehao said:

I first received an email telling me that there's an update posted to my application. Then I log in and saw an admission letter. Later, I received an official email about the offer.

I am an international student in a top 30 private college and I will graduate this May. i am double majoring in Applied Psychology and Mathematics. My GPA and GRE is also quite mediocre. I don't have any real working experience yet, just working as camp counselor and volunteer teacher in rural China for two summers. That's my only education-related experience.  I also applied HGSE, Penn GSE, TC, Stanford, Northwestern... 

Good Luck Everyone!

Hi yehao. Can you please provide me your wechat ID as we Chinese tc applicant had established a wechat group.  

19 minutes ago, OutdoorsEd said:

Don't mind me. Just here to complain that a week after interviews and Peabody has yet to officially reject me. 

My patience is wearing thin with checking so many portals every day! 

Totally agree. Want to officially remove them from my bookmark list. :)

Hi guys, I was accepted to the Community Research and Action program. Waiting for the formal letter with funding info. Super psyched. They were an amazing program to interview with and I can't believe they think I'm cool enough to hang. :D

Edited by 0002684179
Missed few words

Any attending the Masters Student visit days on 23rd and 24th February? I'm an international student so won't be able to make it. Any insights from those of you attending would be immensely helpful! :)