University of Denver MSW

Ksmith

Hello fellow anxious graduate applicants! I am a long time creeper and a first time poster. I submitted my application for DU's Advanced Standing MSW program (beginning July 2017) on 12/26/16 (although the offices were closed for winter break until 1/3/17 so it's possible they haven't even looked at mine yet -_-). I have dug through so many gradcafe forums about DU acceptance and the timeline on when people found out, but the most recent ones being 2014. I noticed that in all of those, people were saying that they saw Accept/Decline buttons at the bottom of their status page a few days prior to being officially notified that they were accepted. I was wondering if anyone has recently applied and/or had this experience? The status page that I have just consists of a checklist showing that everything is submitted and complete, but there is no 'status' (i.e. - "under review" "decision unavailable" etc.) like I have seen so many others post about a few years ago. I am wondering if DU changed their status page and removed the actual status bar, which then means that the accept/decline buttons may not actually be something that still exists when people apply these days? Does anyone have experience with this? Also, if you recently were accepted or heard back from DU, how long did it take from when you applied and how did you initially find out? Thanks so much!

Hey! I submitted my application for DU's 2 year program on Halloween, but my final letter of rec wasn't submitted until Nov. 17th. Still haven't heard back, so I'm hoping it's soon! I believe their website said we should receive an admissions decision withn approx. 6-8 weeks. 

8 hours ago, Ksmith said:

Hello fellow anxious graduate applicants! I am a long time creeper and a first time poster. I submitted my application for DU's Advanced Standing MSW program (beginning July 2017) on 12/26/16 (although the offices were closed for winter break until 1/3/17 so it's possible they haven't even looked at mine yet -_-). I have dug through so many gradcafe forums about DU acceptance and the timeline on when people found out, but the most recent ones being 2014. I noticed that in all of those, people were saying that they saw Accept/Decline buttons at the bottom of their status page a few days prior to being officially notified that they were accepted. I was wondering if anyone has recently applied and/or had this experience? The status page that I have just consists of a checklist showing that everything is submitted and complete, but there is no 'status' (i.e. - "under review" "decision unavailable" etc.) like I have seen so many others post about a few years ago. I am wondering if DU changed their status page and removed the actual status bar, which then means that the accept/decline buttons may not actually be something that still exists when people apply these days? Does anyone have experience with this? Also, if you recently were accepted or heard back from DU, how long did it take from when you applied and how did you initially find out? Thanks so much!

Hi Ksmith

I have applied for PhD program. For mine, there is no indicator of 'status' in the webpage you are referring to. However prior to this webpage, just before you click to open the application, there is a status indicator there. 

all the best! 

9 hours ago, Ksmith said:

I actually literally just got my acceptance! They sent me an email that my admissions status had changed, and then there was a link inside my application portal to the decision. Best of luck!

4 hours ago, KruMaew said:

I actually literally just got my acceptance! They sent me an email that my admissions status had changed, and then there was a link inside my application portal to the decision. Best of luck!

nice! :) if i get into Denver, maybe i will see you 

Congratulations KruMaew!! And thank you both for the info. I see now (I think) where there is a status, just before I go to my application page. It still says "submitted" so I wonder if they have even glanced at it yet :unsure: I just submitted it on 12/26 and their office didn't reopen untl 1/3 so I wouldn't be surprised. It's too early for me to be this impatient! lol! It's good to know that you got an email notification, my friend who is in the advanced standing MSW program now said that last year she was notified via snail mail and I was worried it was going to be the same for me this year. Talk about pressure!

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, tuxedobird10 said:

Thanks!! I just got email notification of an award today!

Congrats!!

When did you submit your application? 

Also, which program did you apply to?

Edited by weshh
More

9 hours ago, weshh said:

Congrats!!

When did you submit your application? 

Also, which program did you apply to?

Thank you! I submitted right before the January 16th deadline. Like on January 14. I applied for the 2 year program for the mental health concentration. 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hello! I was accepted to DU 2 year track program with a 22k scholarship. I was also accepted to Columbia University's 2 year track and I am waiting to hear on the financial aid award. Does anyone know which is the better program? It's difficult to choose not having visited the actual university/program. 

Any advice?

2 hours ago, Msw_2019! said:

Hello! I was accepted to DU 2 year track program with a 22k scholarship. I was also accepted to Columbia University's 2 year track and I am waiting to hear on the financial aid award. Does anyone know which is the better program? It's difficult to choose not having visited the actual university/program. 

Any advice?

I would go to whichever school turns out to be cheaper unless you know you want to work in either of those areas specifically after graduation. If that is the case, then location could be important as well.

Edited by doctormelody

I got accepted 3/1 for the online advanced standing option.  I'm curious how other people got scholarships, I am waiting to hear back about my financial aid packet.  I plan on starting in the summer.  They were the only school I applied to because they had the concentration I wanted.  I have to do online because my family needs me here and also this area really needs quality msw's but I was drawn to the synchronous format.  It appears lot of people turned this program down because of the expense.  My gpa is 3.92- I'm just wondering if additional paperwork was submitted or were the scholarships offered without asking?? Maybe the scholarships are just for people who attend in person.

On 3/7/2019 at 3:03 PM, lsg0629 said:

Got in as well with a 32k scholarship! Turned them down though - still so ridiculously expensive :(

I assume you got into other, better programs. If so, good choice. I don't think it's worth the cost for a school with a regional, but not national, reputation

On 3/12/2019 at 11:28 AM, Msw_2019! said:

Any advice?

Columbia looks better on the resume and will open doors anywhere. If you can afford it, go there. If you really want to live in Denver right now, come on out. If you can wait 2 years, go to Columbia and come on out in 2021. Also, the campuses have very different feels. I'd recommend visiting on accepted students day. 
Factoring in your total student debt is very important. Social Work positions do not pay well, he said stating the obvious. I have multiple friends who are being crushed by their debt which is impacting their decisions across all areas of their life.