Projected Acceptance Dates for English PHD programs

2 minutes ago, la_mod said:

They do not! A lack of interview certainly does not mean it's an absolute no. Last year someone on this forum got in without an interview, and I know a student there who said that it really varies. It's also divided by subfield. 

Oh cool! Good to know. 

19 hours ago, jpbends said:

Just spoke to Michigan on the phone, and they said, "We will be notifying applicants towards the end of February." So that's something I'm not worrying about so much anymore!

Are you referring to U of M, Ann Arbor or another Michigan school?? (I’m easily confused by these sorts of things, haha.) Because someone (but only one person) posted on the results page that they were accepted to U of M, Ann Arbor yesterday. ?

13 minutes ago, TaliaTee said:

Are you referring to U of M, Ann Arbor or another Michigan school?? (I’m easily confused by these sorts of things, haha.) Because someone (but only one person) posted on the results page that they were accepted to U of M, Ann Arbor yesterday. ?

Yes, but that was for the English and Education program. U-Mich programs notify at different times, from what I gather.  

Edited by JustPoesieAlong

12 minutes ago, TaliaTee said:

He’s referring to Ann Arbor. The one on the results page wasn’t for English Lit, but for English and Education, which I think only accepts 2 people a year or something

13 minutes ago, la_mod said:

He’s referring to Ann Arbor. The one on the results page wasn’t for English Lit, but for English and Education, which I think only accepts 2 people a year or something

Ahhh, okay, makes sense! My early morning brain definitely did not catch the “Education,” haha. Thanks to both of you for the clarification!

23 hours ago, a_sort_of_fractious_angel said:

I will be squinting in Pitt's direction tomorrow - this evening I'm going to be shaking my head at Delaware because, hello it is Feb 2 - and I've developed a new theory based on my feelings and a free online tarot card reading that Maryland, having notified its short wait list people, will be sending out its acceptances this week. 

An early Michigan would be a blessing because then I can stop living in the style of "will my husband ever return home from sea" and move forward in one of two positive directions.

I have a feeling that contrary to what Pittsburgh did in the last two years(notifying on the first Saturday of February), they might not let the acceptances out by Monday. It is already 3:45 at Pittsburgh.

1 hour ago, OceansAreBlue said:

I have a feeling that contrary to what Pittsburgh did in the last two years(notifying on the first Saturday of February), they might not let the acceptances out by Monday. It is already 3:45 at Pittsburgh.

Agreed. Le sigh. Onto next week!

5 hours ago, The Wicket Gate said:

Hi! First time posting so I hope this is the right place-- Does anyone have insight into Georgia State University's application deadline of March 8th?? It seems so extremely late that I feel like I'm missing something!

I'm applying there, and I agree the deadline seems super late. I have no idea why (and according to results on gradcafe, it seems like they must have had earlier deadlines in the past), but I have a few guesses:

1. They have a quick turnaround (like 1-2 weeks of solid reading and meeting for decisions)
  2. They may not have gotten as many candidates as they wanted with an earlier deadline so they pushed it back
  3. The committee has other department committments that makes a later deadline more convenient

The dealines seems very late, but considering some programs don't notify until mid-March anyways, they might just be making the deadline later to broaden their pool and pick up applicants who were shut out by other programs. 

4 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Do some of your schools notify on Sunday?

No.. I just meant it's the day of the week where we know for sure there aren't going to be any notifications :) ... 

3 minutes ago, Mise said:

No.. I just meant it's the day of the week where we know for sure there aren't going to be any notifications :) ... 

Ahh gotcha!

Who are you hoping to hear back from this week?

36 minutes ago, Mise said:

I have four implied rejections, and it's Sunday, yay! Good luck to you all, I wish the best!

Happy Sunday! I'm sitting on two implied rejections now. Here's hoping this week looks up for us both. In the meantime, imma eat some pancakes and veg out in preparation for another week of anxiety. :P

On 2/4/2018 at 9:19 AM, Warelin said:

Ahh gotcha!

Who are you hoping to hear back from this week?

I've only got super reaches expected this week, and maybe rejections or (hopefully..!) waitlist notifications from a few implied reject schools. 

Though acceptances by phone were out a couple days before, I'm kind of hanging onto an unfounded hope that email notifications (for international students) are yet to be sent.

3 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Happy Sunday! I'm sitting on two implied rejections now. Here's hoping this week looks up for us both. In the meantime, imma eat some pancakes and veg out in preparation for another week of anxiety. :P

Yes! We cannot help agonizing... but we can be nice to our bodies! :D Happy Sunday to you too. 

On 2/4/2018 at 9:44 AM, Mise said:

Though acceptances by phone were out a couple days before, I'm kind of hanging onto an unfounded hope that email notifications (for international students) are yet to be sent.

Same! It ain't over till it's over! At least not with these schools that don't interview, I'm not counting myself out unless I get a straight rejection. 

4 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Same! It. ain't over till it's over! 

I remember you saying that you had connections in Houston, so Rice would be a nice choice for you! I'd also love to be at Rice, because the Victorianist faculty is pretty cool and I've lived in Houston for a year. But enjoying Sunday is first! 

What schools are you all expecting to hear from this week? I think UCLA might release their decisions, and I'm expecting to get the official rejection from Chicago and Austin.

32 minutes ago, mads47 said:

What schools are you all expecting to hear from this week? I think UCLA might release their decisions, and I'm expecting to get the official rejection from Chicago and Austin.

What's giving you the sense about UCLA? I think Berkeley notifies this week normally so maybe we'll get a few UC's.

47 minutes ago, mads47 said:

Also waiting on an official Chicago rejection! We’re also overdue to hear from Delaware, and think Brown may notify on Friday. It would be great to hear from BU as well but I have no idea where they are in the process. The waiting game is so painful. 

Speaking of Berkeley, maybe Berkeley Rhetoric acceptances will drop next week?? Seems like they're a bit of a wild card--wildly fluctuating schedules for notifying across years, different waves of acceptances (possibly?), etc. It would also be great to hear from Brown.

2 hours ago, mads47 said:

I think UCLA will be behind this year. Didn't they extend their deadline by two weeks? So many application issues.... 

Hoping Berkeley and some of the Canadian schools will surprise me. 

10 minutes ago, Crow T. Robot said:

Speaking of Berkeley, maybe Berkeley Rhetoric acceptances will drop next week?? Seems like they're a bit of a wild card--wildly fluctuating schedules for notifying across years, different waves of acceptances (possibly?), etc. It would also be great to hear from Brown.

We're a bit nervous about Brown and the other Ivies on our list. We've heard that they almost always accept people from Ivy schools (or their equivalents) and we went to a top-100 public research university. So that's somewhat disheartening.