Projected Acceptance Dates for English PHD programs

6 minutes ago, ThePomoHipster said:

Anybody else wondering what is taking Berkeley so long? Assuming we're referring to the English and not the Comp Lit program, aren't they supposed to get back to us today at the latest?

I'm not sure why they haven't released yet (if they're supposed to do so), but Berkeley's had a bad day: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/02/02/512992000/breitbart-editors-event-canceled-as-protests-turn-violent-at-uc-berkeley

The university is open today but I wouldn't be surprised if some schedules got knocked around a little bit. 

9 minutes ago, ThePomoHipster said:

Anybody else wondering what is taking Berkeley so long? Assuming we're referring to the English and not the Comp Lit program, aren't they supposed to get back to us today at the latest?

Berkeley isn't technically required to get back by today. These are just projections and by no means, a deadline.

The only deadline they technically have is the April 15th deadline but that refers to funding offers that you have to accept by. :)

It's far more likely to be general delays (or delays from inauguration protests) than from the protest yesterday; it's had no discernible effect on campus/departmental business yesterday or today.

I do hear the list is finalized, though.

I imagine Berkeley is having a bit of a rough time figuring things out for grad students impacted by the ban. That and trying to grasp how Trump's policies will further impact students/the university.

Edited by claritus

7 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Careful using terms like "supposed to." Remember that all the decision data is historical, and adcoms change from year to year. Sometimes there are different DGS's with different policies (as is the case with UMD). In other words, programs can notify whenever they want -- we only know when they've typically done so. You have to take these dates with a grain of salt, basically. Frustrating, but true.

I know - I'm just trying to grasp onto some sort of certainty or concreteness as I still haven't heard back from anyone. My question is more just me venting my frustration at all of these universities for taking so long to notify us.

7 minutes ago, JeremyWrites said:

I'm not sure why they haven't released yet (if they're supposed to do so), but Berkeley's had a bad day: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/02/02/512992000/breitbart-editors-event-canceled-as-protests-turn-violent-at-uc-berkeley

The university is open today but I wouldn't be surprised if some schedules got knocked around a little bit. 

Oh, well that might explain it. From what I've heard, these situations aren't too uncommon at Berkeley.

20 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Ugh! I hadn't seen that earlier and sent an email to the grad office... I'm so stupid. Gotta resend an email to apologize.

You might want to avoid emailing programs right now. Honestly, the last thing they want to do is read emails from applicants at this point unless there is some extremely important issue that needs to be brought up. Most professors complain about oversaturation of emails at the best of times, but during this time of year it's particularly egregious. I know that this process is tough, but there's little that an email is going to do to resolve it, I'm afraid...nor an email apologizing for an email.

Just a word to the wise! :-)

I know, I know @Wyatt's Terps. It was stupid, and I myself have advised against it. But I'm feeling really down and truly depressed and I don't know how to deal with this state.

Edited by Yanaka

5 hours ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Most professors complain about oversaturation of emails at the best of times, but during this time of year it's particularly egregious.

Hi Wyatt,
I am considering to contact my POI at this time, because I saw someone said "ProfXXX offers me a MA position instead" on the result page. I just want to ask my POI if he can offer me an interview. But, I agree with you. I don't know if this is appropriate and if this will interfere the review procedure, any suggestions?

49 minutes ago, Lovegood said:

Hi Wyatt,
I am considering to contact my POI at this time, because I saw someone said "ProfXXX offers me a MA position instead" on the result page. I just want to ask my POI if he can offer me an interview. But, I agree with you. I don't know if this is appropriate and if this will interfere the review procedure, any suggestions?

No. Definitely not. As hard as it is, you just have to respect the process. They'll let you know when they're ready to let you know, simple as that.

22 minutes ago, eatthatbee said:

So my University of Minnesota application status changed to "FINAL REVIEW," and I'm not sure whether that is a good thing or not? 

Does anyone have any insight into what this means?

yooooo mine too--I just checked because you said that. No idea what it means though.....

7 minutes ago, crugs said:

yooooo mine too--I just checked because you said that. No idea what it means though.....

It's a pretty ominous change; I'd like it to be positive, but it certainly might just be the process through which all applications are either accepted/rejected.

17 minutes ago, eatthatbee said:

It's a pretty ominous change; I'd like it to be positive, but it certainly might just be the process through which all applications are either accepted/rejected.

Yeah I wonder if anyone who has already been accepted saw the same thing...I feel like at least it means we might hear next week either way. 

29 minutes ago, crugs said:

Yeah I wonder if anyone who has already been accepted saw the same thing...I feel like at least it means we might hear next week either way. 

45 minutes ago, eatthatbee said:

Mine actually reads "Decision Made," which is equally stress-inducing, but at least I'll know soon, either way. 

29 minutes ago, BlueCleric said:

Mine actually reads "Decision Made," which is equally stress-inducing, but at least I'll know soon, either way. 

OMG MINE DOES NOW TOO

WHAT

IT SAYS PLEASE ALLOW ONE BUSINESS DAY AFTER IT'S CHANGED TO THAT TO VIEW

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Mine still reads something about being under review by committee which is probably because I've already been wait listed. I hope you all get good news soon! (And then immediately decline so I can get in off the list ;)).

Edited by eadwacer
pre-caffeine word spillage

16 minutes ago, crugs said:

OMG MINE DOES NOW TOO

WHAT

IT SAYS PLEASE ALLOW ONE BUSINESS DAY AFTER IT'S CHANGED TO THAT TO VIEW

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I wish I hadn't looked, because now I'm hoping the decision was made yesterday so we'll know today, not Monday. 

2 minutes ago, Lovegood said:

Mine is too, should I sleep now???? I can't fall asleep with the "within one bussiness day" notification! @crugs

I'm sitting in school on hall duty and literally refreshing the page every 10 seconds. I know that it's of no use but at least it makes me feel like I'm doing *something*. I wish I could just fast forward to Monday--thank goodness I have a busy weekend ahead.

Best of luck to everyone!!!

Just now, crugs said:

I'm sitting in school on hall duty and literally refreshing the page every 10 seconds. I know that it's of no use but at least it makes me feel like I'm doing *something*. I wish I could just fast forward to Monday--thank goodness I have a busy weekend ahead.

Best of luck to everyone!!!

Let's behave well for two more days! And then get some rewards from UMN! 

4 minutes ago, KikiDelivery said:

Anyone else can't help shake the feeling that next week is going to be the week? I want to acknowledge that it may be hard for many of us, so I want us to rejoice in looking at this baby pig:

I thought this week was going to be the week, but it seems like English is moving at a snail's pace this year. I'm not sure if I can go another weekend without some sort of sign–even a rejection.