Venting Thread

4 minutes ago, slightlymoreanonymous said:

One of the FSU ones was mine! But I'm a current student there, so they might be letting us know before others. Also, I'm pretty sure that rhet/comp does stuff differently than lit. I wouldn't give up hope yet!  

Oh good. Awesome! And congratulations!

5 hours ago, Yanaka said:

Serious venting needed.

I have to have credential evaluations done for my transcripts for a certain university I am applying to, which means they translate and draw equivalences from my French grades to American ones. I was already short on time because I hadn't seen that information soon enough and was relying on my previous official translations anyway, but this school needs another kind of evaluation. That's fine, and the people there notified me of that requirement as soon as we started emailing and that was extremely nice. They're all very nice!

However--either my current school has not sent my transcripts on time, or the mail took longer to be delivered than I expected, or the courrier has been lost. But they still haven't received anything at all at the "evaluator", so still nothing has been done, and the school's already extended their deadline for me. Not to say that I paid almost 400$ for that service, which will have been for nothing at all if I can't apply to the program in the end.

I already feel ashamed for having to pay for extremely expensive services on top of everything that this whole thing has already cost me, both mentally, financially and academically (hello, grades from last semester). But if it were to be in vain... I'll never be able to forgive myself for going through this craziness.

I'm sorry to hear that! Universities are always very slow and uncoordinated with administrative things. They need to be nagged to finally get to work. I really don't understand why it takes 8 weeks to print a copy of my transcript...

5 hours ago, steve3020 said:

I'm sorry to hear that! Universities are always very slow and uncoordinated with administrative things. They need to be nagged to finally get to work. I really don't understand why it takes 8 weeks to print a copy of my transcript...

Thanks, Steve. Actually they've been fast and compliant, but I'm suspecting they did not send the letter right away at noon like they said they would... :(

1 hour ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

What a haughty, ignorant, and inaccurate thing to say.

Sure, there's bureaucracy at work, but to imply ineptitude and laziness is a gross misrepresentation.

Haha I said that mainly to be on @Yanaka's side in her ordeal, because people can have trouble with these things even when the university is trying their best. Don't take what I said too seriously. I have no pretence to representing the truth of all universities.

16 minutes ago, steve3020 said:

Haha I said that mainly to be on @Yanaka's side in her ordeal, because people can have trouble with these things even when the university is trying their best. Don't take what I said too seriously. I have no pretence to representing the truth of all universities.

Thanks Steve! I'm used to French administration being a nightmare (you have to see it to believe it), so your comment was fine by me from a larger perspective--however, I don't know what happened here since this part of my school has always been quick and nice. The mail must've taken a longer time than I thought...

Edited by Yanaka

Not to stir the pot, but this is a venting thread. Am I right? I think everyone is a little on edge, but I'm sorry to hear things aren't going smoothly for you,@Yanaka! I hope they are able to work swiftly to get those issues resolved. I've seen both ends at work, and sometimes IT IS a total disregard of the student. Things happen!

Edited by Zelda

Person posting about acceptance to Brandeis MA program. Good for them!

When are they getting to me about my PhD application? It's either this week or next week.

I am dying here. Meanwhile the schools that did accept me are sending me emails and breathing down my neck, it feels like. Here I am still holding out!

Shouting into the abyss a little - I'm trying not to freak out about hearing back from Oregon, but I'm doing a really, really bad job.  I keep checking the submission page (since we heard they've made their decisions) and my heart drops every time there's no update. Since I'm Wait-listed at Ohio, I'm trying not to spiral out of control, but man, it would be really nice to have an acceptance. Plus, my fiance' isn't really keen on moving to FL...if I get in there.  There's just so much out of my control right now :wacko:...

2 hours ago, biyutefulphlower said:

Shouting into the abyss a little - I'm trying not to freak out about hearing back from Oregon, but I'm doing a really, really bad job.  I keep checking the submission page (since we heard they've made their decisions) and my heart drops every time there's no update. Since I'm Wait-listed at Ohio, I'm trying not to spiral out of control, but man, it would be really nice to have an acceptance. Plus, my fiance' isn't really keen on moving to FL...if I get in there.  There's just so much out of my control right now :wacko:...

I've also been checking the Oregon page continuously. No one on GC has posted about Oregon, so there's some hope there :)

The only places left for me that aren't rejections or implied rejections are UNC Chapel Hill and Duquesne. I am so dejected. Carolina is a long shot. I thought I was competitive, but after 10 rejections I doubt I'll even get into Duquesne. I know it isn't over until it's over, but to be completely shut out without even so much as a wait list would be really demoralizing.

Meanwhile, my non-academic life isn't so great right now either. 

Thanks @KikiDelivery! I'm trying to not stress too much, but based on what @eatthatbee posted, I might just start back up again!

@anxiousgrad - Yeah, not to repeat what you've already heard, but we can't give up hope yet. And regardless of what this application cycle holds, it doesn't define your worth or limit where this academic journey may take you in the long run. 

Well! I just found out that Toronto's MA results should be out soon. Feeling pretty bummed that I've been all but shut out of PhD programs this year.... 

It's also frustrating because I KNOW my application was pretty good; I came so close to Chicago and Columbia! That UCLA wait-list! I met with one of my mentors who told me that a few of her grad students got in places, and she thought I was a stronger candidate than all of them, but I look very young and very fresh, and that's to my detriment. It's both heartening and frustrating to hear that you *should* have gotten in. Ugh. Next year I guess. 

15 hours ago, biyutefulphlower said:

@anxiousgrad - Yeah, not to repeat what you've already heard, but we can't give up hope yet. And regardless of what this application cycle holds, it doesn't define your worth or limit where this academic journey may take you in the long run. 

Out of upvotes, but I appreciate your kindness. Congrats on your waitlist, and I hope an acceptance comes through for you soon!

It's tough not to give up, and it's really tough not to contact Duquesne-- they gave no timeline and not enough stats are posted in the results for me to make an educated guess. It seems possible that non-GCers have been accepted and I just don't know about it. I'm glad someone else bit the bullet and contacted UNC, at least. I'm also waiting to hear back about whether or not I got a Teach for America interview, and the possibility that I won't even be accepted for my backup plan is killing me. I'll most likely know everything by March 10th, but it still seems ages away!

I have also been shut out of all PhD programs (waiting to hear from a few, but not expecting any very good news since it's so late in the season), and accepted to one MA. I am really conflicted. The MA is at Villanova - would I be crazy to turn it down if I receive funding? A part of me thinks that if I strengthened my GRE scores and polished my statements I would be able to get into a PhD program next year if I reapplied. I know I'm a good candidate, but I didn't have much time to dedicate to applications this cycle because I am in my last year of undergrad, so I know my applications could have been a lot better. My GRE scores were also really bad and I didn't have time to retake the test before apps were due. In hindsight, I should have taken the year off and applied when I had more time and a stronger application, but I couldn't resist trying this cycle. 

What do you guys think? Should I take the MA and apply for PhD programs once I finish? I think I would be crazy to turn it down because I know it's very hard to get in anywhere, but I think if I tried again I might have better luck, and I would prefer to enter an MA/PhD program. This is premature because I haven't even received funding yet, but I am just curious what other people think. I have received mixed responses from my professors and advisors. 

12 minutes ago, natalielouise said:

What do you guys think? Should I take the MA and apply for PhD programs once I finish? I think I would be crazy to turn it down because I know it's very hard to get in anywhere, but I think if I tried again I might have better luck, and I would prefer to enter an MA/PhD program. This is premature because I haven't even received funding yet, but I am just curious what other people think. I have received mixed responses from my professors and advisors. 

4 minutes ago, eatthatbee said:

My gut, and this is what I did, is take the MA offer (if it's funded). You'll have time to work with some wonderful faculty, use their resources, and get paid to go to school. It also gives you time to shore up your test scores and materials. 

Likewise, it wouldn't hurt to show adcomms that you can succeed in a graduate environment at the MA level.

I 100% agree with @eatthatbee. Getting the M.A. will make you a better candidate, guaranteed. Getting some graduate experience under your belt will help you develop as a scholar, and will add demonstrable success in the pressure-cooker that is grad school to your application. There's really no situation I can think of in which a funded M.A. wouldn't be a boon if your long-term objective is to get a Ph.D. It certainly happens that applicants with B.A.s get into Ph.D. programs (we have plenty of proof of that here on GC), but it's also quite clear that there is a general preference among many, if not most programs to accept applicants with an M.A.

7 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

I 100% agree with @eatthatbee. Getting the M.A. will make you a better candidate, guaranteed. Getting some graduate experience under your belt will help you develop as a scholar, and will add demonstrable success in the pressure-cooker that is grad school to your application. There's really no situation I can think of in which a funded M.A. wouldn't be a boon if your long-term objective is to get a Ph.D. It certainly happens that applicants with B.A.s get into Ph.D. programs (we have plenty of proof of that here on GC), but it's also quite clear that there is a general preference among many, if not most programs to accept applicants with an M.A.

Yeah, I honestly feel silly for asking, but I had to know! I am also worried because I have heard from some people that Villanova has a relatively low placement rate for PhD programs, but I am not sure if that's true and I think it depends on on the individual applicant, as well. Thank you both for your answers!!! I will hopefully receive funding and enroll, so fingers crossed! 

One of the main reasons I asked is because one of my fav professors and letter writers told me not to take the MA and reapply to PhDs... I think he is a bit deluded because he thinks I am a great applicant but he had no problem getting into grad school (he went to Northwestern for his PhD) and maybe doesn't understand how truly difficult it has gotten, even for very good applicants. 

12 minutes ago, natalielouise said:

One of the main reasons I asked is because one of my fav professors and letter writers told me not to take the MA and reapply to PhDs... I think he is a bit deluded because he thinks I am a great applicant but he had no problem getting into grad school (he went to Northwestern for his PhD) and maybe doesn't understand how truly difficult it has gotten, even for very good applicants. 

I gotta say, good on you for applying to PhD's out of your BA. I did NOT have that level of confidence. I only applied to MA programs. I got into all of them, but part of me will always be wondering now: What if?

Anyway, what everyone is saying is right. PhD programs these days seem to almost require an MA---so many folks applying have them. This means they have more experience in the classroom, they've been writing longer, some of them have teaching experience already, and they've already been in the grad school environment.

My advice, if Villanova offers funding, take it and go for it. If they don't offer funding...ehhhh...maybe it's a good idea to just bide your time for a year and really perfect all of your application materials? I hate to see people pay for their MA. But I know it's also hard to think about what the heck you're going to do for a year!

1 minute ago, Silabus said:

I gotta say, good on you for applying to PhD's out of your BA. I did NOT have that level of confidence. I only applied to MA programs. I got into all of them, but part of me will always be wondering now: What if?

Anyway, what everyone is saying is right. PhD programs these days seem to almost require an MA---so many folks applying have them. This means they have more experience in the classroom, they've been writing longer, some of them have teaching experience already, and they've already been in the grad school environment.

My advice, if Villanova offers funding, take it and go for it. If they don't offer funding...ehhhh...maybe it's a good idea to just bide your time for a year and really perfect all of your application materials? I hate to see people pay for their MA. But I know it's also hard to think about what the heck you're going to do for a year!

Thank you!!! It was a little cocky, honestly, because I am definitely not a perfect applicant, but I knew that I wanted to do it and my professors thought I had a solid chance, so I did it! I definitely don't have any regrets - it was a learning experience for sure. I honestly wish I had applied to more MA programs, but Villanova was the only one (it was the only one accepting applicants with funding considerations by the time I realized I fucked up lol). If I don't get funding, I will probably reapply next fall and include more MA programs. 

Thank you, though, and I'm glad that there seems to be a consensus! You guys have really cleared my mind :~~~)

1 hour ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

It certainly happens that applicants with B.A.s get into Ph.D. programs (we have plenty of proof of that here on GC), but it's also quite clear that there is a general preference among many, if not most programs to accept applicants with an M.A.

48 minutes ago, Silabus said:

Anyway, what everyone is saying is right. PhD programs these days seem to almost require an MA---so many folks applying have them.

Not to beat a dead horse -- this discussion has been had here, many times -- but these two statements simply aren't true, and can't be generalized to the field as a whole. Of the (fair number of) programs whose incoming cohorts I'm familiar with, students with MAs are at most half the admitted PhD cohort, more commonly less. To say that "it certainly happens" that BA applicants get into PhD programs is strictly speaking true, but the weakest statement of the case and implies that that's not a (or even the most) common path -- and from what I know of the field, it's at least as common a path as entering a program with an MA.

But again, that's based on the particular programs I know the most about. Other people's experience will differ, which is exactly my point: MAs are certainly useful, but to generalize them (as opposed to the academic preparation they offer) as necessary or even preferable to applying with a BA is not, I think, really supportable as a blanket assertion.

Another grumble into the void-- no email from U of Toronto kicking me in the ovaries a bit this morning. I cracked and did the thing you don't do--emailed to ask about my status, part of my justification being that I live so dang far away that if I'm going to manage any visiting days, I'd need to know now, which is 100% true. But I fully expect them to respond with a rejection or radio silence. 

Sigh. I swear I'll be excited about having an acceptance and waitlist once my gut recovers from ~9 rejection punches and a 10th likely on the way. I know it's not personal, at least not entirely. I know this. But it still--feels bad! 

I just want all the rejections to come through so I can make a decision and start getting excited about what IS there instead of getting sucker punched by what ISNT. 

2 hours ago, unræd said:

Not to beat a dead horse -- this discussion has been had here, many times -- but these two statements simply aren't true, and can't be generalized to the field as a whole. Of the (fair number of) programs whose incoming cohorts I'm familiar with, students with MAs are at most half the admitted PhD cohort, more commonly less. To say that "it certainly happens" that BA applicants get into PhD programs is strictly speaking true, but the weakest statement of the case and implies that that's not a (or even the most) common path -- and from what I know of the field, it's at least as common a path as entering a program with an MA.

But again, that's based on the particular programs I know the most about. Other people's experience will differ, which is exactly my point: MAs are certainly useful, but to generalize them (as opposed to the academic preparation they offer) as necessary or even preferable to applying with a BA is not, I think, really supportable as a blanket assertion.

I'm not sure what particular programs you're referring to. There are certainly a number of schools that don't require an MA for admission, however there are also a number of schools that do require an MA for admission. Most of the schools I applied to for my PhD required an MA, it says so on their admissions page. There's also some argument to be made about the Admissions Results Page and how it might not be a good gauge of what schools are looking for but if you do look at it, quite a few people who get accepted mention holding MAs.

So to say the statements "simply aren't true" is...well...simply not true.

I'd also like to point out that mine and @Wyatt's Terps were responding to @natalielouise who holds a BA, didn't make it into PhD programs, but did get into an MA program. We, and others, were telling her that it definitely doesn't hurt go get an MA---it can really help her chances in the future!

8 minutes ago, Peppermint&Rooibos said:

Is anyone else in the dark about their Iowa status? Saw that a couple of rejections and acceptances have been sent out, so just wondering if anyone has any inside scoop?

Mostly in the dark :huh:  I hear through the grapevine that not having heard yet is good news, but there were so few rejections that I can't imagine everyone who hasn't heard yet is accepted or waitlisted.  So...good news with a grain of salt?