Venting Thread

3 minutes ago, eliza_winter said:

Mostly in the dark :huh:  I hear through the grapevine that not having heard yet is good news, but there were so few rejections that I can't imagine everyone who hasn't heard yet is accepted or waitlisted.  So...good news with a grain of salt?

I will go with "good news with a grain of salt" :) Here's to hoping we both hear something soon

38 minutes ago, Silabus said:

I'd also like to point out that mine and @Wyatt's Terps were responding to @natalielouise who holds a BA, didn't make it into PhD programs, but did get into an MA program. We, and others, were telling her that it definitely doesn't hurt go get an MA---it can really help her chances in the future!

Indeed, and I didn't mean to imply that MAs aren't good/useful -- of course they are, and I'm sorry if my initial post implied otherwise!

But even putting aside the fact that many of those schools (at least in the US; this is different in Canada and the UK) that say they require an MA prior to PhD study have either joint MA/PhD programs (like OSU) or (relatively) likely admission to the PhD for their MA holders (like UIUC), a statement that "PhD programs these days seem to almost require an MA" is demonstrably false. To take just one example from many, in my PhD cohort less than a quarter of the students had MAs, and the more recent cohorts at my institution have been equally BA-heavy.

And it's worth being clear about that for other people who might be reading the fora wondering whether they need to get an MA before applying for a PhD. Getting an MA first is very much the right thing sometimes, and can usually only be a good thing (assuming it's funded) that will necessarily improve a PhD application. But to say that it's in any way a requirement for PhD study rather than potentially desirable preparation does a disservice to potential applicants.

9 hours ago, Avalanched said:

Another grumble into the void-- no email from U of Toronto kicking me in the ovaries a bit this morning. I cracked and did the thing you don't do--emailed to ask about my status, part of my justification being that I live so dang far away that if I'm going to manage any visiting days, I'd need to know now, which is 100% true. But I fully expect them to respond with a rejection or radio silence. 

Sigh. I swear I'll be excited about having an acceptance and waitlist once my gut recovers from ~9 rejection punches and a 10th likely on the way. I know it's not personal, at least not entirely. I know this. But it still--feels bad! 

I just want all the rejections to come through so I can make a decision and start getting excited about what IS there instead of getting sucker punched by what ISNT. 

Don't worry! I'm sure they'll get back to you with the answer soon, and who knows - it could be a waitlist or even an acceptance that just comes a day later. Even if it isn't, you've been accepted to OSU and waitlisted at Colorado, which are both fantastic schools! Rejection definitely sucks (trust me, with 7 rejections I understand the feels), but you'll feel so relieved once the rest of the places get back to you and you finally make a decision. Good luck! :)

6 hours ago, Yanaka said:

Hey now all of that's just making me even sadder that I didn't get in anywhere!!! :lol: 

You've heard from all of them?! Oh no! It'll be okay!

This is a very petty vent, and not one intended to offend anyone here, but I'm always a little flummoxed when I see people on the results board express resentment or disappointment at a form rejection letter! I'm sure we'd all love to have deeply personalized, highly analytical accounts of the moment-by-moment transit of our application materials, but that's just not tenable when some of these programs are dealing with nearly 600 applications. I've personally been quite impressed by the wording of all of my form rejections so far -- they seem to acknowledge that rejection is not a reflection on the applicant so much as it is a necessary byproduct of a difficult process.

While rejection is always tough to take, I can't help but think it's more prudent to (if I may channel Ice-T) hate the game, not the player.

Had a little cry on my mommy's shoulder and she helped me talk through plan B, she really wants me to follow through with school and said it's okay to take out a loan (but in France rather than in the US) if necessary and if smart to do, that it's all going to be okay. That's after she said that even if our prof. friend thinks the economy is scary, well what am I going to do? Ain't gonna give up on what I want to do because of that. I love my mama. *8 years old again*

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:02 AM, Wyatt's Terps said:

This is a very petty vent, and not one intended to offend anyone here, but I'm always a little flummoxed when I see people on the results board express resentment or disappointment at a form rejection letter! I'm sure we'd all love to have deeply personalized, highly analytical accounts of the moment-by-moment transit of our application materials, but that's just not tenable when some of these programs are dealing with nearly 600 applications. I've personally been quite impressed by the wording of all of my form rejections so far -- they seem to acknowledge that rejection is not a reflection on the applicant so much as it is a necessary byproduct of a difficult process.

While rejection is always tough to take, I can't help but think it's more prudent to (if I may channel Ice-T) hate the game, not the player.

UW-Milwaukee sent me a letter a week later telling me why I wasn't accepted into the program. To be honest with you, I'll take a form letter any day of the week! xD

On 3/4/2017 at 1:02 PM, Wyatt's Terps said:

(in bad German accent) Perhaps ve venture eine guess unt say that those persons feel angry unt disappointed in themselfs unt need a place to put zees feelings, yes, unt lacking the ability unt ze inclination, cannot vent zere emotions on the ad coms directly...hence, der subject transfers ze emotions onto ze only available figure: der rejektion letter. (chews cigar)

7 minutes ago, orphic_mel528 said:

(in bad German accent) Perhaps ve venture eine guess unt say that those persons feel angry unt disappointed in themselfs unt need a place to put zees feelings, yes, unt lacking the ability unt ze inclination, cannot vent zere emotions on the ad coms directly...hence, der subject transfers ze emotions onto ze only available figure: der rejektion letter. (chews cigar)

(in perfect Canadian accent) Oh yah. No doot aboot it. (eats a Timbit)

Edited by Wyatt's Terps

Vent: Brandeis, Brandeis, John Plotz....please stop doing this to me. Just give me an answer already. You too Florida State! I'm tired of these games! T_T

Vent: my paper got accepted at a conference I desperately want to attend, but because I'll (hopefully) be paying for an MA, I now can't afford to go :( (also feels like a double kick in the chest, because now that I didn't get into a PhD program, I could really use another conference!)

Edited by la_mod

3 hours ago, la_mod said:

Vent: my paper got accepted at a conference I desperately want to attend, but because I'll (hopefully) be paying for an MA, I now can't afford to go :( (also feels like a double kick in the chest, because now that I didn't get into a PhD program, I could really use another conference!)

That sucks big time. Are you sure there's no solution at all? Can't a friend or family member help you out? :( + since you're not sure you'll get in, it's a shame!

Edited by Yanaka

6 hours ago, la_mod said:

If you're still completing your BA, it's very possible that your department will pay for your travel expenses to attend the conference. Wouldn't hurt to ask the department chair or, if that's too intimidating, a professor you're close with who would then talk with the chair. 

I really hope you're able to attend. :) 

Edited by PoeticsofPossibility

Today's vent: I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM TORONTO. That is my final piece. That is the only thing I have preventing me from making a decision about whether to just commit to UBC now and start arranging my life. I've pretty much settled on doing an MA because one of my wait lists told me my application would be greatly improved by an MA and more Latin, but I just want to know whether Toronto is an option because their Latin is so good. I just want to move on with my life.

Still waiting to hear even a peep from THREE different programs. I keep reading posts that talk about how late-in-the-game it is already and I'm just like :rolleyes:. I have definitively heard from two schools and another two are implied rejections but damn am I ready for some news, any news! 

Feeling anxious and frustrated. I only applied to one school this year due to being at my current unpaid internship and not being able to afford application fees.  If I don't get in then I need to figure out where I'm moving to until next year. I keep checking my inbox and application status.  I just need to know one way or another.  Everyone keeps saying "positive thoughts" but I'm having a hard time at this point. Anyway, just needed to vent to people who get it. Thanks for listening. 

3 hours ago, PoeticsofPossibility said:

If you're still completing your BA, it's very possible that your department will pay for your travel expenses to attend the conference. Wouldn't hurt to ask the department chair or, if that's too intimidating, a professor you're close with who would then talk with the chair. 

I really hope you're able to attend. :) 

It's after graduation, so I'm not eligible! Plus I go to a state school and we have no money, ha.

7 hours ago, Yanaka said:

That sucks big time. Are you sure there's no solution at all? Can't a friend or family member help you out? :( + since you're not sure you'll get in, it's a shame!

Yeah, I mean... it's one of those things where I COULD pay for it, but I'm not sure I can justify it. 

Ulgh, just got my McGill rejection. It was a nice and encouraging letter, but still, it was my unofficial #1, so I can't say I'm not disappointed. And Toronto offered me a spot in their CMS MA instead of PhD, which was a really nice surprise, but even if it were funded, I'm already in the middle of an MA for the same subject.

Just waiting to hear back from UBC now, but since that's the end of my short list, I'm gonna start preparing for the year as if I've already got a rejection. Huge bummer, but hey, next cycle I'll have three more papers, three conferences, and a dissertation under my belt! Cheers to everyone who made it in this cycle!

1 hour ago, Silabus said:

Ugh. I finally got what I wanted and heard from Brandeis. Rejection. T_T

I'm sorry :((( still waiting to hear from them myself but not expecting much. It's strange because there are two wildly staggered rejections (one sent in like mid-feb and the other just now) from them on the results board and nothing else :huh: 

maybe there just aren't a lot of Brandeis applicants on GC this cycle? 

EDIT: only looking at results for the English PhD program

Edited by LurkyLurker

1 minute ago, LurkyLurker said:

I'm sorry :((( still waiting to hear from them myself but not expecting much. It's strange because there are two wildly staggered rejections (one sent in like mid-feb and the other just now) from them on the results board and nothing else :huh: 

maybe there just aren't a lot of Brandeis applicants on GC this cycle? 

So you're saying I maybe made it to the final round of rejections? xD

2 minutes ago, Silabus said:

So you're saying I maybe made it to the final round of rejections? xD

Aww no, lol!! Don't worry, I'm sure I'm about to be right there with ya so we can celebrate being some of the final rejections together :lol:

Idk though, it's just seems strange to see so little news this "late" (compared to previous cycles), or maybe I'm just being weird/paranoid

2 minutes ago, LurkyLurker said:

Aww no, lol!! Don't worry, I'm sure I'm about to be right there with ya so we can celebrate being some of the final rejections together :lol:

Idk though, it's just seems strange to see so little news this "late" (compared to previous cycles), or maybe I'm just being weird/paranoid

Yep, it is weird. This is the longest they've taken to get back to people in some time.