NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)

Roxxx

9 hours ago, SW_Student said:

Yes, same here as well. From my understanding, they give RA/TA/GA to all students! Did you check out your letter under communications online regarding minimum funding? According to Pam, we don't have to compete for that. 

I also did some looking into the RA/TA/GA jobs on the york cupe website and it just all looks amazing! 

Yeah! I was shocked when she said everyone got that funding! Apparently it's not just for social work students, every grad student that attends York gets it which is just amazing to me. It really makes a compelling argument to choose York :P

Is ryerson M.arch worth the amount ?
How is TA/RA opportunities ?

And what about job opportunities ?

How will you rate ryerson, carleton and Manitoba ?

Anyone with insight please help

Question for past/current UofT students. Do we receive another info package in the mail once they've received our deposit/acceptance of the offer?

I was just wondering how the process works with getting a student card and getting our email set up. I wanted to browse the student housing page and i noticed you need to register with an official uoft email address. 

13 minutes ago, MSW-hopeful-2016 said:

Question for past/current UofT students. Do we receive another info package in the mail once they've received our deposit/acceptance of the offer?

I was just wondering how the process works with getting a student card and getting our email set up. I wanted to browse the student housing page and i noticed you need to register with an official uoft email address. 

http://tcard.utoronto.ca/ for how to register for a t-card, and there is also a link on the side that explains how to set up a UTorID. Once you have your UTorID you will use that to log into your email at www.mail.utoronto.ca -- your email will automatically be your full name: firstname.lastname@mail.utoronto.ca 

I think you can create your UTorID now, but sometimes there are weird dates for when you can get your T-Card (last year some people had to wait till July, I already have a t-card because I did my undergrad there, but I think I could only get it some time in the summer months as well). Here is the contact info for the T-Card office:

Downtown Toronto (St. George) Campus
Koffler Student Service Centre214 College Street, First floor
416-946-8047
tcard.office@utoronto.ca

Monday…………. 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Tuesday………… 9:00 am to 6:00 pm

Wednesday……. 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Thursday……….. 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Friday…………… 9:00 am to 5:00 pm

6 minutes ago, tnt92 said:

http://tcard.utoronto.ca/ for how to register for a t-card, and there is also a link on the side that explains how to set up a UTorID. Once you have your UTorID you will use that to log into your email at www.mail.utoronto.ca -- your email will automatically be your full name: firstname.lastname@mail.utoronto.ca 

I think you can create your UTorID now, but sometimes there are weird dates for when you can get your T-Card (last year some people had to wait till July, I already have a t-card because I did my undergrad there, but I think I could only get it some time in the summer months as well). Here is the contact info for the T-Card office:

Downtown Toronto (St. George) Campus
Koffler Student Service Centre214 College Street, First floor
416-946-8047
tcard.office@utoronto.ca

Monday…………. 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Tuesday………… 9:00 am to 6:00 pm

Wednesday……. 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Thursday……….. 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Friday…………… 9:00 am to 5:00 pm

sweet! thank you :)

25 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

I really hope Laurier is still sending out a second round of acceptances... But if not, will they email us about waitlist or rejections? My LORIS still doesn't say anything

Ya i just checked windsor and laurier, still nothing for me either

54 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

I really hope Laurier is still sending out a second round of acceptances... But if not, will they email us about waitlist or rejections? My LORIS still doesn't say anything

Same. I emailed Lynn and asked if everyone will receive an email regardless of their status ( rejected or waitlist or accepted), she gave me a vague answer which doesn't really help. 

1 minute ago, nutella06 said:

Same. I emailed Lynn and asked if everyone will receive an email regardless of their status ( rejected or waitlist or accepted), she gave me a vague answer which doesn't really help. 

@nutella06 omg what was her answer exactly? 

Just now, riaveda said:

@nutella06 omg what was her answer exactly? 

She said " All applicants will receive a decision on their application"  but didn't specify how we will be notified. I sent a follow-up email. Hopefully we will hear back 

1 minute ago, nutella06 said:

She said " All applicants will receive a decision on their application"  but didn't specify how we will be notified. I sent a follow-up email. Hopefully we will hear back 

Ugh! What? That really is a vague answer, especially since all of us are so eager for closure. 

1 hour ago, nutella06 said:

Did she say if we will all know this week? Or are they drawing this out all through April?

13 minutes ago, moh230 said:

Hey guys just got an email from Laurier that I have been wait listed and that there are 40 people on the wait list 

Me too! Other details are that we cannot inquire as to our position on the waitlist and that we have to accept or decline being waitlisted by April 25th.  The waitlist will be closed and no offers of admission will be extended after August 31st

I didn't get an email about the wait list. I'm not sure what to think of that. It sucks but I'll move on.  I'm grateful that york rejected me quickly. It made the pain subside much faster....Laurier likes to take off the bandaid slowly I guess. 

5 hours ago, MSW-hopeful-2016 said:

Hi MSW-hopeful-2016!!  I received my offer back in February (advanced standing).  Once I sent in my deposit and acceptance of offer, I received an email of confirmation from Angela Umbrello (no further info packages).  Also, you will have to register to attend an orientation.  Mine is later this month (I am assuming yours will be the same date or shortly thereafter?) and I am thinking and hoping that they will fill us in on all the other stuff (student card, etc.) then.   If you need to know before the orientation date, maybe just email or phone Angela?  Good luck.

2 hours ago, winterjmsw said:

Me too! Other details are that we cannot inquire as to our position on the waitlist and that we have to accept or decline being waitlisted by April 25th.  The waitlist will be closed and no offers of admission will be extended after August 31st

Same here. Does anyone know how quick the wait list moves??

4 hours ago, KarebearSW said:

Hi MSW-hopeful-2016!!  I received my offer back in February (advanced standing).  Once I sent in my deposit and acceptance of offer, I received an email of confirmation from Angela Umbrello (no further info packages).  Also, you will have to register to attend an orientation.  Mine is later this month (I am assuming yours will be the same date or shortly thereafter?) and I am thinking and hoping that they will fill us in on all the other stuff (student card, etc.) then.   If you need to know before the orientation date, maybe just email or phone Angela?  Good luck.

Thanks for the help :) I'll just be awaiting the email from Angela then. Good luck at your orientation! I'm sure the 2 year will be sometime in the coming month or so as well. 

Hi everyone, 

I've been following this thread for a good 2 months now...first time commenting! (just made my account a minute ago)

I've been waitlisted for the 2-Year MSW at UofT....for anyone who got in this cycle...when do you have to reply by/accept your offer of admission?

thanks!!

34 minutes ago, MSDOUBLEU said:

Hi everyone, 

I've been following this thread for a good 2 months now...first time commenting! (just made my account a minute ago)

I've been waitlisted for the 2-Year MSW at UofT....for anyone who got in this cycle...when do you have to reply by/accept your offer of admission?

thanks!!

Hey! I believe you accept four weeks within the date the acceptance letter was mailed. That's what it said on my letter at least.

Good luck! Hope you get in the program of your choice! :)

Edited by GeminiCore

U of T students - 

It has been a whirlwind of a past few days and I can't remember if this question as been asked already, so I'm going to ask it again. For those of you who were on the wait list, or those of you who know this information in general, how long does it take for the wait list to start moving? Does anyone have any inkling about how many people they put on the wait list? Are there actually decent odds of getting in off the wait list, or should I not focus on that? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Feeling pretty defeated after this round of applications!

Edited by nicoleMSW
info

13 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

U of T students - 

It has been a whirlwind of a past few days and I can't remember if this question as been asked already, so I'm going to ask it again. For those of you who were on the wait list, or those of you who know this information in general, how long does it take for the wait list to start moving? Does anyone have any inkling about how many people they put on the wait list? Are there actually decent odds of getting in off the wait list, or should I not focus on that? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Feeling pretty defeated after this round of applications!

My advice, as someone who was waitlisted last year, is to not focus on the waitlist at all. Apply for jobs (if that's your plan of action) and focus on moving forward. Try to get the best opportunities you can to strengthen your app, and remember that you're beginning to re-apply in a few short months. 

That being said, accept your spot on the waitlist and whatever happens, happens. If you do find an amazing job opportunity and happen to find out in August that you've been accepted off the waitlist, you quit your job. Until then - do not focus on getting off. That's just my two cents.