NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)

Roxxx

7 hours ago, Msw2017_ said:

Thanks for your feedback!

Yes, I also found the GA position (which can be a combination of either TA work and/or RA work as far as I am aware) appealing because I have very limited experience in this domain.

As for Laurentian, I will not be remaining at my current employer so this factor would totally be eliminated from the equation.  However, that being said, I would be able to attain a full time position elsewhere while in school because of the structure. I'm still debating...

Is the program at Laurentian full time or part time? Something to consider is that just because you aren't in class every week doesn't mean the workload is any lighter than attending a school with a more traditional looking schedule. If it's full time, will you be able to handle being a full time student and a full time employee? That sounds like an extremely heavy workload, but for some people it can be done (with a lot of sacrifices to your free time, sleep schedule, and personal life). That would totally depend on you and what you know you can handle.

University of Windsor- MSW for Working Professionals (MSWwp) Off-Campus-  Has anyone applied for this program? Any of the location (Windsor, Peel, Oshawa) -Advanced Standing or Regular Track. This program has a rolling admission process. I’m trying to get a sense of when applicants submitted their documents and when they received an update/results. Thank you in advance. 

I just got a call from Windsor saying a spot on the waitlist has become available to me. I am not sure whether to take it or to decline it and work for a few year and go for UofT again. Would anybody be able to provide some insights on some concerns I have? 

Does anyone know whether Windsor MSW graduates have good employment oppotunities? I'd like to pursue a career in Toronto, and I don't know how competitive is a MSW degree from Windsor. 

What kind of research oppotunities are there? Does it necessarily lead to PhD oppotunities? 

I'd really appreciate any input! I've already prepared for job hunting and this is all too overwhelming... 

An MSW is an MSW and you will be able to apply to the same jobs after you get your degree. Of course U of T has specialized streams which means you should be almost guaranteed practicums that fall in line with your stream at U of T, whereas any other program without streams (which is just about any other MSW program in Canada) means it's completely subject to availability and luck to a certain extent.

Often times when you are starting out a new career and have little experience (if you do not have a BSW - you didn't specify that), then having connections in the field becomes even more important, such as the people you meet through the practicums that you get through your program. So if you want to work in Toronto later on, you might want to inquire about the possibility of doing a practicum in Toronto through UWindsor, because often times new grads end up working at one of their former practicums. Of course this doesn't always happen, but it's much easier to get your first job this way than it is to be one applicant out for 300 for a job posting, especially since they won't need to invest time and money into training a former practicum student which gives strong incentive to hire one.   

If you want to do a PhD in social work, you don't have to do a master's thesis as it's not a requirement. But it would likely make your application stronger if you did, or at least if you acquire research experience by working as an RA during your master's or if you get a research job after your MSW so that you can get a publication or two. It's hard to get an RA position or a research job without any experience of any kind (such as by doing an undergrad thesis or volunteering as an RA). So if you are inexperienced, I'd seriously consider doing a thesis to gain the experience and skills that you need for PhD level work. 

I don't know of any RA position that directly leads to a PhD offer. You will have to apply to a PhD program, just like everyone else. But as an RA you can certainly get a strong letter of recommendation from your supervisor which can greatly increase your chances of admission to a PhD program, particularly if your research interests are a good match, if that person wants to take you on and if they have funding to take on another student during your application year.

Thank you so much for such an elaborate and helpful reply. I can't be more appreciative of your advice! I will definitely look more into gaining research experience during my master's program, and where to get my practicum! 

On 4/28/2017 at 10:14 PM, Msw2017_ said:

I spoke with Milene today, she said that they will be notifying another 5-10 students next week regarding acceptances.  The rest of the students will continue to wait until June in accordance with the rolling acceptances format...:wacko:

Thank you! It's helpful to know at least some information, best of luck with the process

On 5/1/2017 at 3:03 PM, Shmoo410 said:

University of Windsor- MSW for Working Professionals (MSWwp) Off-Campus-  Has anyone applied for this program? Any of the location (Windsor, Peel, Oshawa) -Advanced Standing or Regular Track. This program has a rolling admission process. I’m trying to get a sense of when applicants submitted their documents and when they received an update/results. Thank you in advance. 

Update: I sent an email to the MSW coordinator requesting an update on Monday.  Apparently there were some delays with the MSW working professionals program (I'm assuming from the recent personnel changes in the department- referenced earlier in the thread) and now things are back on track.  The person who emailed me said I was in the final steps of consideration. 

Today I received an offer of admission for the MSW for Working Professionals- Regular Track (32 months) Peel Campus. I had submitted my application in late December. I'll be working full-time in community care and attending classes bi-weekly on Friday afternoons and all day Saturday. 

2.5 years :P

On 4/19/2017 at 1:12 PM, TraczT said:

Made a Facebook group for 2 year MSW at Laurier... Search for: Laurier MSW 2 Year Full Time 2017-2018

Thanks ! :)

I can't find It! Can you post a link?

Good morning! I am writing on behalf of a friend who is interested in applying for a two-year MSW. She doesn't have a research/stats course from her first degree. We are based out of Toronto, and she is looking to hear from anyone who has taken this pre-req course outside of their bachelor's degree. We know about the option of Athabasca, but we're looking for alternatives (especially an alternative that she could do in-person, instead of online). Thank you!!

On 2017-05-08 at 9:28 AM, wafflehouse said:

Good morning! I am writing on behalf of a friend who is interested in applying for a two-year MSW. She doesn't have a research/stats course from her first degree. We are based out of Toronto, and she is looking to hear from anyone who has taken this pre-req course outside of their bachelor's degree. We know about the option of Athabasca, but we're looking for alternatives (especially an alternative that she could do in-person, instead of online). Thank you!!

If you want to take the course in-person just contact the universities in your area (for Toronto that would be U of Toronto, York U and Ryerson U) and ask them if any stats courses are available through continuing education (or do a quick google search to find out the answer). If not, then ask if she can enroll as a student without a major. That shouldn't be a problem, as far as I know. I've heard of many people doing this before.

Edited by thelionking

29 minutes ago, c.dizzle said:

I just received a call from Angela at UofT and I got off the MSW waitlist! See you folks in September.

Ahhh congrats!!! For the one year advanced or the two year??

16 minutes ago, MSDOUBLEU said:

Yay it's moving!! I'm waitlisted for the two year. Did your ACORN change?

Dont worry theres movement on the waitlist! put it out the universe and it will eventually happen!

and yes, my status did change on acorn.

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 4.59.54 PM.png

7 minutes ago, c.dizzle said:

Dont worry theres movement on the waitlist! put it out the universe and it will eventually happen!

and yes, my status did change on acorn.

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 4.59.54 PM.png

Agreed! and awesome, thank you!!

Long time observer, first time poster...I received a call this afternoon from Angela notifying me of my acceptance to U of T's 2-year MSW program. Good luck to everyone else still on the wait-list.

If this is helpful in anyway, you are able to send Angela and updated resume to highlight any additional activities you have completed since you first submitted your application. I began volunteering right after applying so I feel like this may have been a contributing factor to getting off the wait-list.

57 minutes ago, ariel1 said:

Long time observer, first time poster...I received a call this afternoon from Angela notifying me of my acceptance to U of T's 2-year MSW program. Good luck to everyone else still on the wait-list.

If this is helpful in anyway, you are able to send Angela and updated resume to highlight any additional activities you have completed since you first submitted your application. I began volunteering right after applying so I feel like this may have been a contributing factor to getting off the wait-list.

Congrats!!

How did you find out that you were able to send Angela an updated resume? I know in the waitlist letter it says that if you are completing your last year you can send in your updated transcript (semester 2 final grades)...but I didn't know about the resume! Thanks for letting us know! When did you send yours and how...via email?

10 hours ago, MSDOUBLEU said:

Congrats!!

How did you find out that you were able to send Angela an updated resume? I know in the waitlist letter it says that if you are completing your last year you can send in your updated transcript (semester 2 final grades)...but I didn't know about the resume! Thanks for letting us know! When did you send yours and how...via email?

Hi MSDOULBEU,

I found out by calling her and asking if there were any additional documents that we were able to formally submit (I know that some schools allow you to submit more references, etc.). She told me the only things you could submit was an updated transcript (which you knew) and an updated resume, if there is additional work/volunteer experiences you wanted to include. It does make sense if you consider that some applicants, like myself, have been out of school for a few years now. I sent my updated resume three days ago via e-mail to the admissions e-mail (which is also managed by Angela). Let me know if you have any other questions :)

4 hours ago, moli said:

Has anyone got off the waitlist yet for lakehead? 

Hi,

It's unlikely anyone has since offers weren't withdrawn until May 12th at 4pm.

The waitlist will probably start moving soon. Good luck!

Edited by kiki14
Typo

Is there a facebook group for the 1-year HBSW Lakehead program for 2017/2018? Also is anyone looking for a roommate!? A one bedroom apartment is not looking like it will fit into my budget.. 

On 5/12/2017 at 0:20 AM, ariel1 said:

@ariel1 thanks for the info! Would you be willing to share your GPA & research methods marks with us? Thanks!