NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)

Roxxx

59 minutes ago, thelionking said:

In the past, this is how it worked. It's possible that things have changed though.

Offers are sent out to a certain number of people based on the number of spots available. As people decline their offers, more offers are sent out. People have 2 weeks to make a decision. Considering that it's an MSW program, there is a lot of movement on the wait list. My guess is that because Windsor is far from all the majors centres in Ontario such as Toronto and Hamilton, and it's also far away from other mid-sized cities like London, it ends up being low on people's list of preferred schools. It's not uncommon for people to get off the wait list as late as June, so there's still hope for you. Good luck!

Perfect thank you! 

On 2017-04-03 at 5:48 PM, Msw2017_ said:

Hello everyone!

After reading through this message board for the past few months I decided to post something myself in the hopes of getting some much needed feedback. So, any information that any of you are able to share is greatly appreciated :D

Firstly, I have recently been accepted to Kings 1 year MSW program and Laurentian's and Lakehead's Msw programs and I wondered if anyone has any feedback about either Laurentian's and/or Lakehead's program? I hadn't seen any other comments about these programs so any input is appreciated. 

Also, I have been wait-listed at U of T and Windsor for the 1 year programs and have yet to hear back from Ryerson so I completely understand the emotions and frustrations that go along with this process.  This forum is a nice reminder that we are not alone in this experience.

Finally, I noticed that there were some inquires about post-degree BSW programs and I wanted to share that I attended University of Victoria's distance post-degree BSW (which I completed in 4 consecutive semesters) and I loved it so please feel free to PM me for more information. 

Honestly, the reason many of my classmates and I did not apply is because the program is still young in the world of social work. This also makes it a bit disorganized. Secondly, most of us came from far and commuted. Thirdly, this was a gateway to the one year MSW in the city at the more known universities. Lastly, because they are so far away they often struggle to find good placements in areas outside Orillia for instance.  

On 2017-04-04 at 9:32 AM, smileandshine said:

Is ryerson M.arch worth the amount ?
How is TA/RA opportunities ?

And what about job opportunities ?

How will you rate ryerson, carleton and Manitoba ?

Anyone with insight please help

I am finishing up Ryerson right now and I really like it. It has been a challenging but great learning experience. 

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:21 AM, nicoleMSW said:

U of T students - 

It has been a whirlwind of a past few days and I can't remember if this question as been asked already, so I'm going to ask it again. For those of you who were on the wait list, or those of you who know this information in general, how long does it take for the wait list to start moving? Does anyone have any inkling about how many people they put on the wait list? Are there actually decent odds of getting in off the wait list, or should I not focus on that? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Feeling pretty defeated after this round of applications!

I got my admission offer at the beginning of June after being waitlisted. Definitely sucked being waitlisted, but lots of people get in off the waitlist. One woman in my program found out she got in during the last week of August!

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 1:01 AM, fylucn55 said:

Could you let us know more about what your experience was like? What was your undergrad program and how did you find the transition from it and going into social work? Thank you!

Hi!

I have loved U of T MSW so far! I did my undergrad at Acadia University, I have a Bachelor of Science with Honours in Psychology. My final year GPA was 3.93/4.0. I took a year off between my undergrad and grad school to work full time at a group home supporting individuals with intellectual disabilities. I'll be honest, it was a huge adjustment because I also moved across the country from Nova Scotia. However, it has been worth every dollar, break down, and paper being handed in 15 minutes before the due date because it is an excellent program and I am doing what I love! Sorry for the delayed reply!

Hey there,

First of all, thanks to everybody for making this topic, and congrats to those already accepted! Does anybody know the accept/reject deadline for those given offers to the one year HBSW program, in either Thunder Bay or Orillia, at Lakehead?  I'm on the waitlist for Thunder Bay, so I'm just curious when admissions will start taking a second look at the waitlisted applications. 

Edited by sasko28

Looking for a friend here..... Western was my 1st choice for 2-year MSW, and I found out I was waitlisted a while ago. In the meantime, I was offered acceptance to Carleton along with a significant funding package, so I accepted this offer. I found out today that I came off the waitlist at Western, and I'm feeling pretty conflicted about the decision. Does anyone know anything about these 2 schools that may help me make my decision? 

Thanks!

3 hours ago, sasko28 said:

Hey there,

First of all, thanks to everybody for making this topic, and congrats to those already accepted! Does anybody know the accept/reject deadline for those given offers to the one year HBSW program, in either Thunder Bay or Orillia, at Lakehead?  I'm on the waitlist for Thunder Bay, so I'm just curious when admissions will start taking a second look at the waitlisted applications. 

Hi I was also waitlisted for the thunderbay campus, I got a letter in the mail saying I would know on or about may 15 if I've been accepted off the waitlisted or not. 

10 hours ago, kk1010 said:

Looking for a friend here..... Western was my 1st choice for 2-year MSW, and I found out I was waitlisted a while ago. In the meantime, I was offered acceptance to Carleton along with a significant funding package, so I accepted this offer. I found out today that I came off the waitlist at Western, and I'm feeling pretty conflicted about the decision. Does anyone know anything about these 2 schools that may help me make my decision? 

Thanks!

Unfortunately I don't know much about either school but what a wonderful dilemma for you to have-congratulations and best of luck!

If you have any special interest in domestic violence, I know Dr. Peter Jaffe (a "guru" in this area) teaches at Western and that would offer an incredible learning opportunity if this is an area you'd like to learn about.

21 hours ago, kk1010 said:

Thanks!

I also can't provide more insight into those 2 schools. What is it that you are looking for in a program exactly and what are your goals post graduation? If you were accepted into both programs, that means they believe you are a good fit otherwise you wouldn't have been offered admission. I believe that both schools will be a good fit for you.

Consider calling or emailing both schools to inquire about how they will help you fulfill your career goals. Here are some things you could inquire about: practicum options (and the odds of getting the one you want - this can be a big challenge at some schools), find out if some practicums in Ottawa require fluency in French (particularly the kinds you are most interested in), options for course electives, background of potential thesis advisors (if you plan to do a thesis), opportunities to be a TA or RA (if academia, research or teaching interest you), program layout and course load, whether or not you have to write exams (at Laurier, for instance, there are no tests or exams, only papers and group presentations), etc.

After that, also consider if you prefer to live in a larger city vs a smaller city (half the size of Ottawa and 1/10th the size of Toronto), housing costs (rent in London is much cheaper than Ottawa), geographic proximity to family/friends/significant other if you want to travel frequently on weekends and holidays, etc....     

I don't know your particular set of circumstances, but if one school doesn't stand out as being a significantly better fit that the other, I'd personally follow the money and go to Ottawa. Not only does a generous scholarship look impressive on a resume, but the financial savings will be significant. I'm sure you know that social work isn't as well paying as many other professions out there and having to pay extra for tuition fees will not go unnoticed when you have to pay it back after graduation (if you get OSAP). 

Edited by thelionking

Does anyone know any specifics about Laurier's part-time 3-year MSW?  Looking for some information about the feasibility of working full-time shift work while completing the 3-year and the likelihood of getting a practicum outside of Kitchener/Waterloo.

Thanks!

Edited by hornets14

12 hours ago, hornets14 said:

Does anyone know any specifics about Laurier's part-time 3-year MSW?  Looking for some information about the feasibility of working full-time shift work while completing the 3-year and the likelihood of getting a practicum outside of Kitchener/Waterloo.

Thanks!

I have some information about these questions. The classes begin at 4:15pm I'm pretty sure (I might be off by 15 minutes). You alternative between taking 2 and 3 courses per semester if you follow the recommended 3 year schedule. So you need to be on campus 2-3 evenings per week. You are welcome to take fewer courses and graduate later, but you will pay the same tuition fees per semester no matter how many courses you take - 1, 2 or 3 courses maximum - or even if you decide to take a semester off.

You can complete your practicum in another city. For part time students, it is the equivalent of 2 full work days per week (you can also do 4 half days or other combinations if you wish). A good number of people choose to do their first practicum at their place of employment (but keep in mind you are not allowed to receive a salary for practicum work). You are also free to pick your top 10 choices from Laurier's practicum list and the school will assign one to you. This route is popular too.

I want to caution you that if your intention is to keep the same job throughout your studies, it's important to have an employer that is flexible with your work schedule. I have heard that a good number of students ask their employers about this kind of work arrangement before they begin the program and they agree to offer a flexible work schedule. Some of these students also tell their employer that they would like to complete their first practicum at their place of employment and that this work would be be done for free (because you are not allowed to be paid for practicum work). Of course, their employers are happy with this arrangement.  Some students are happy with it because they are able to maintain a full time (or near full time) work load at their job by having some of their work hours count towards the practicum. Then, towards the end of the MSW program, when it comes time to request time off or a reduced work load so that they can complete their second practicum elsewhere (because you cannot do it at the same place twice), many students discover that their employer no longer agrees to give the staff member the time off that they need.  At that point, these students are close to completing their degrees and they are forced to decide between keeping their job and completing their degree. From what I've been told, generally everyone in this situation decides to quit their job so that they can complete their degree. Then they either need to find a new job or take out a student loan, which they did not originally intend to do.

So if working full time for the entire degree is a necessity for you, my advice it to try to get your work arrangement in writing (perhaps by email or in a clause in your contract) so that this doesn't happen to you. All of this information was shared with me by a friend who completed the program a couple of years ago.

Edited by thelionking

hornet15:

I also wanted to add that if you want to take some courses in the daytime due to your shift work, you are likely to be able to do so by asking school administration and getting a course override so that you are able to register. Of course, the course you are looking for needs to be offered in the right semester for your schedule (and the full time students in the daytime follow a different timeline). But if things line up properly, you will likely be able to register. If this is an important consideration for you, I'd call the school to double check this and find out if you would only be able to register if anything is left over after the full time students have registered or if you'd have equal opportunity to take those classes.  

On 4/20/2017 at 0:54 AM, MSW-UofT said:

Honestly, the reason many of my classmates and I did not apply is because the program is still young in the world of social work. This also makes it a bit disorganized. Secondly, most of us came from far and commuted. Thirdly, this was a gateway to the one year MSW in the city at the more known universities. Lastly, because they are so far away they often struggle to find good placements in areas outside Orillia for instance.  

Thanks for your response - it's always good to hear from multiple perspectives.  In terms of Laurentian, their program is a little different in that you only have to attend campus 3-4 times per semester for 4 days at a time.  This program is structured this way to ensure that students are able to maintain their current employment status.  I found this aspect appealing, however I have given serious consideration to having to drive to Sudbury numerous times in the winter which could potentially be a big obstacle given the harsh conditions.  When it comes to Lakehead, I was offered a GA with a good amount of funding attached to this opportunity, but I would be 15 hours away from my current residence.  So, I am still in the process of weighing out my pros and cons.  :blink:

Edited by Msw2017_

On 4/22/2017 at 9:51 AM, Msw2017_ said:

Thanks for your response - it's always good to hear from multiple perspectives.  In terms of Laurentian, their program is a little different in that you only have to attend campus 3-4 times per semester for 4 days at a time.  This program is structured this way to ensure that students are able to maintain their current employment status.  I found this aspect appealing, however I have given serious consideration to having to drive to Sudbury numerous times in the winter which could potentially be a big obstacle given the harsh conditions.  When it comes to Lakehead, I was offered a GA with a good amount of funding attached to this opportunity, but I would be 15 hours away from my current residence.  So, I am still in the process of weighing out my pros and cons.  :blink:

I can give you one extra point in favour of attending Lakehead. If your GA position is a Research Assistant position (not sure if you mean RA or TA when you say GA), then this will help you develop stronger research skills, thus making you more marketable in the workforce. Most people who get an MSW do not do a thesis, so you would be at an advantage later on for having that extra skill set.

I was not aware of Laurentian's unconventional time table. That definitely is an asset for people who live driving distance away. So I guess that would mean everyone else would need to stay at a hotel during those days. I guess if you're able to keep your job, the high travel and accommodation costs accrued would be compensated by the fact that you could keep your job while attending school. This is a nice perk because if you had to quit your job for school, it might take you a few months to find a new one after you graduate. Do you know if your employer will be able to give you the time off that you need to complete your practicum? Do you see yourself remaining at your current place of employment for a long time? 

A tough decision indeed.... 

On April 20, 2017 at 10:56 PM, sasko28 said:

Hey there,

Looks like the deadline is this Friday. I got my offer in the mail today so the notice is quite short. 

If anyone hasn't gotten their mail offer yet, I highly recommend contacting them as soon as possible since their admissions office has been hard to reach due to weather conditions.

2 hours ago, kiki14 said:

Looks like the deadline is this Friday. I got my offer in the mail today so the notice is quite short. 

If anyone hasn't gotten their mail offer yet, I highly recommend contacting them as soon as possible since their admissions office has been hard to reach due to weather conditions.

I have been admitted, but have yet to receive my mail offer. I am unable to view the online offer as well.. If it weren't for you, then I would have potentially missed the deadline. What information does yours say? Do I just have to accept through OUAC? Thanks! 

Does anyone know the deadline to accept the Windsor 2 year program? I'm on the waitlist and would like to have an idea of when the next round of offers could come. Thanks! 

6 hours ago, mitchae said:

I have been admitted, but have yet to receive my mail offer. I am unable to view the online offer as well.. If it weren't for you, then I would have potentially missed the deadline. What information does yours say? Do I just have to accept through OUAC? Thanks! 

Yes. The deadline of April 28 applies to ouac and emailing the school of social work to confirm your acceptance. It says to email Sonya, but that may be outdated since Sonya said she no longer works for the department. If you don't respond by the 28th, you forfeit your spot and it will be reallocated by May 1st.

A $200 deposit is due by June 1st. There is also a form to sign about placements, but there's no date on it.

Edited by kiki14

8 hours ago, mitchae said:

Does anyone know the deadline to accept the Windsor 2 year program? I'm on the waitlist and would like to have an idea of when the next round of offers could come. Thanks! 

Things could have changed, but in past years Windsor has opened up new spots gradually as people declined their offers. So I don't think it can really be predicted because sometimes people decline on the last day and sometimes people decline immediately or sometime before the deadline.

If you'd rather attend Windsor, then I'd accept Lakehead's offer on the last day possible and send in your deposit on the last day (this can be done by sending it 24 hrs in advance by FedEx for about $20 if you live in Ontario or the school might have a credit card option that could be done online) to give yourself the lots of time to hear back from Windsor. In all honesty, if you don't receive an offer by the end of May, it's not likely to happen, unless someone who previously accepted changes their mind about attending. Good luck!

Edited by thelionking

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:34 AM, kiki14 said:

Yes. The deadline of April 28 applies to ouac and emailing the school of social work to confirm your acceptance. It says to email Sonya, but that may be outdated since Sonya said she no longer works for the department. If you don't respond by the 28th, you forfeit your spot and it will be reallocated by May 1st.

A $200 deposit is due by June 1st. There is also a form to sign about placements, but there's no date on it.

Oh shit! You just saved my hide. Haven't got any mail yet from Lakehead, but I got my online acceptance a little bit ago. That's a bit worrying! I just checked OUAC and I can accept the offer there, so sending an e-mail to the address they gave us as an alternative to Sonya to confirm my acceptance.

Thank you!

On 4/23/2017 at 1:15 PM, thelionking said:

I can give you one extra point in favour of attending Lakehead. If your GA position is a Research Assistant position (not sure if you mean RA or TA when you say GA), then this will help you develop stronger research skills, thus making you more marketable in the workforce. Most people who get an MSW do not do a thesis, so you would be at an advantage later on for having that extra skill set.

I was not aware of Laurentian's unconventional time table. That definitely is an asset for people who live driving distance away. So I guess that would mean everyone else would need to stay at a hotel during those days. I guess if you're able to keep your job, the high travel and accommodation costs accrued would be compensated by the fact that you could keep your job while attending school. This is a nice perk because if you had to quit your job for school, it might take you a few months to find a new one after you graduate. Do you know if your employer will be able to give you the time off that you need to complete your practicum? Do you see yourself remaining at your current place of employment for a long time? 

A tough decision indeed.... 

Thanks for your feedback!

Yes, I also found the GA position (which can be a combination of either TA work and/or RA work as far as I am aware) appealing because I have very limited experience in this domain.

As for Laurentian, I will not be remaining at my current employer so this factor would totally be eliminated from the equation.  However, that being said, I would be able to attain a full time position elsewhere while in school because of the structure. I'm still debating...

On 4/24/2017 at 4:20 PM, Noodle4 said:

Has anyone heard anything from Ryerson in the past few weeks? I still haven't heard anything and have begun to accept possible rejection but the uncertainty is not fun

I spoke with Milene today, she said that they will be notifying another 5-10 students next week regarding acceptances.  The rest of the students will continue to wait until June in accordance with the rolling acceptances format...:wacko: