2010 MFA Visual Arts admission replies and results

sunjingfang1

I'm applying to MFA Interdisciplinary/New Media. My background is not in art, so I really have no sense at all where I will get in. So far:

CCA - interview

SFAI - interview

RISD

Berkeley

UCLA

UCSD

Calarts

CMU

Cranbrook

UCSC

San Jose State

I haven't heard from Calarts yet...probably a bad sign...

I got rejected from Berkeley yesterday through email/online system. Sad.

I got rejected from Berkeley yesterday through email/online system. Sad.

Hey Sophia, sorry about Berkeley. I got rejected too. I found out before I even got the email. I checked their website and it announced there that they already called their 7 people (out of 200+ applicants). Anyway, I saw your website, I really like your gouache paintings. I work with gouache too but I never tried on black paper. What kind of paper do you use? I love painting on Arches hot press but I've never seen a black one..

Oh, and for anyone who is applying to SFAI...ask me anything about the school and I'll give you my honest answer. I graduated with my BFA in photography there last semester (FA2009), I am friends with the grad students and a bunch of the admin/faculty people.

Edited by racuerex

Oh, and for anyone who is applying to SFAI...ask me anything about the school and I'll give you my honest answer. I graduated with my BFA in photography there last semester (FA2009), I am friends with the grad students and a bunch of the admin/faculty people.

Hey Racuerex- What are the grad studios like, and what is the vibe of the mfa program (ie, conceptual, rigourous, relaxed, pretentious...)? Thanks so much for your insight.

Hey Racuerex- What are the grad studios like, and what is the vibe of the mfa program (ie, conceptual, rigourous, relaxed, pretentious...)? Thanks so much for your insight.

Racauerex: I am considering applying to SFAI for painting. Any thoughts on that program or on SFAI grad generally would be appreciated. What is the reputation of SFAI? Is the Summer program worthwhile? thx

I had a phone interview for UMass Dartmouth for painting on 2/19...they said that they would decide by the end of this week. They have four open spaces, so I have no idea if I have a chance.

I haven't heard from:

RISD

MassArt

BU

SAIC

SMFA

Parsons

Carnegie Mellon

CalArts

Emily Carr

I have applied for painting or art MFAs at all of them. I think there are a lot of people applying this year, so the programs are competitive.

Good luck everyone!

i know that smfa is holding painting interviews the first week of march and sent out notifications via email. i don't know about the rest. good luck!

I had a phone interview for UMass Dartmouth for painting on 2/19...they said that they would decide by the end of this week. They have four open spaces, so I have no idea if I have a chance.

I haven't heard from:

RISD

MassArt

BU

SAIC

SMFA

Parsons

Carnegie Mellon

CalArts

Emily Carr

I have applied for painting or art MFAs at all of them. I think there are a lot of people applying this year, so the programs are competitive.

Good luck everyone!

My list, all Painting/Drawing except SAIC since they encourage multiple submissions:

BU: ?

FSU: ?

Hunter: ?

LSU: ?

PAFA: Accepted (rec'd letter 22 Feb)

SAIC - Painting: Rejected and offered to apply to post-bac (rec'd letter 22 Feb)

SAIC - Sculpture: Rejected (rec'd letter 16 Feb)

SAIC - Fiber & Materials: Rejected (rec'd letter approx 11 Feb)

UGA: ?

Whew - got into at least one. Although now I've gone from worrying about whether I'd get in at all to how I'm going to get the cost down to a manageable amount...

My background is in Architecture, but I'm going back to school for Industrial Design. Just received a letter from CCA today.

CCA - Accepted (Feb 19)

RISD - ?

UW (Seattle) - ?

UBC (Masters of Architecture) - ?

Edited by Brunt

Hi everybody--

I was one of the folks waiting to hear from SAIC one way or the other (painting). Heard today by mail that they've rejected me for MFA but recommended that I apply for their 1-year post-bac. (I don't have a BFA or even an art major.) Does anyone know what the purpose of these post-bacs are? Will their post-bac erase the apparent mark against me for lacking the BFA when I apply again there and elsewhere for the MFA?

Good luck to everyone--I hope everybody's holding up well.

Tyler: Rejected

SMFA: Interview

MICA:

Cranbrook:

VCU:

RISD:

SAIC:

Columbia:

Hi everybody--

I was one of the folks waiting to hear from SAIC one way or the other (painting). Heard today by mail that they've rejected me for MFA but recommended that I apply for their 1-year post-bac. (I don't have a BFA or even an art major.) Does anyone know what the purpose of these post-bacs are? Will their post-bac erase the apparent mark against me for lacking the BFA when I apply again there and elsewhere for the MFA?

Good luck to everyone--I hope everybody's holding up well.

Tyler: Rejected

SMFA: Interview

MICA:

Cranbrook:

VCU:

RISD:

SAIC:

Columbia:

I wonder if that's what's going on... all the people that initially got rejected heard last week and the people who got interviews heard the week before. I guess all the people that got rejected but were asked to do their post-bac at SAIC will hear this week?? That's my conjecture... I still haven't heard from them either. Where do you live Grafeef? Wondering if I'll get the same letter tomorrow... Anyways, I have a friend of a friend that is going to SAIC for their post-bac and they like it a lot. I think it's for the people they think have potential but aren't quite there yet in SAIC's eyes. I don't have a BFA either but I'm not sure that really makes a difference if you have a strong portfolio. Just my thoughts...

i just got The Call from UCSD! accepted with a full ride!! i am flipping out!!!

its a little bittersweet. i was really excited about the yale interview, but i just dont think i can turn down being debt-free.

Holy CRAP Kewpies! Congrats!

Hey Jestem , are you an international student? I applied to SAIC too and am not from the states, I haven't heard anything back yet though. Did they offer any funding?

I just got admitted to SAIC via E-mail notification!!! So excited!!!

Admission

SAIC - MFA Studio Visual Communications

Interviews

Yale (3/29)

Calarts (3/4)

Pending

RISD

CCA

Pratt

Boston

UIC

NYU ITP