Why do you need a Ph.D. degree?

Let's say someone asks you "Why do you need a Ph.D?" Then, what is your answer? 

For me, even though there are a few reasons why I need it; however, I would like to answer that the very first thing that I have to obtain is the Ph.D. degree because I have wanted to become a professor. 

What about you? Could you please share it with me?

So I have something to do after I retire.

I am a full time employee of the university, I finished my undergrad there, currently finishing my Master's, by the time I finish the PhD, I will have 21 years in. 4 more years working after that for full retirement benefits, and then I plan on moving into teaching.

But the real reason is 'because I want to'.

The most basic reason is because it's something I want to do. Beyond that I want to go into academia in some form, either to teach, do research, or both.

• Because I want to be a professor.
  • Because my field keeps me grounded and I can't imagine my life without it.
  • Because doing a PhD in and of itself allows me to do everything that professors get to do (research, teaching, leadership opportunities akin to academic service), and be paid for it. If I only get 4-5 years of that, then so be it. It's still better than never getting to do it at all. And yes, I am admitting that the competition in academia means that I may never get the job I desire. I am also admitting that going into a PhD makes no guarantee that I am going to finish. But why look this far? Life is too short for regrets, and no regret would have compared to the one I'd have if I had let my inhibitions prevent me from applying.
  • Because life away from the university is miserable.
Edited by ThousandsHardships

• Because I want to contribute to my field's research in my area of interest
  • Because I've been dreaming about getting my PhD in psychology since I was 12 years old
  • Because I want to give back by teaching students who are passionate about psychology
  • Because if I decide that academia isn't for me, I will always have a possible "Plan B" which could be private practice/consulting in my area of interest

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love my topic and I think spending a few years - and then, hopefully and more broadly, a career - digging into it obsessively is the most worthwhile thing my particular interests and aptitudes are good for, both for my own life-satisfaction and in terms of doing something useful and substantial within my profession.

I don't *need* a PhD. It's just that the job that I want to do -research and teaching- requires a PhD. I'm a walking cliché. 

On 3/1/2017 at 10:49 PM, SNU_Aero said:

Let's say someone asks you "Why do you need a Ph.D?" Then, what is your answer? 

For me, even though there are a few reasons why I need it; however, I would like to answer that the very first thing that I have to obtain is the Ph.D. degree because I have wanted to become a professor. 

What about you? Could you please share it with me?

I want to become a professor as well.

I would eventually like to work the CDC/government route. With many jobs I'm looking at, MS is entry level and to move up you need a PhD. I've talked to several people that went in with MS degrees and said they regretted not getting a PhD before as there was no time to do it now.

I love to go for the PHD in Rhetoric and Composition specializing in Second Language Writing because I love studying other languages and I want to do research in determining what resources second language learners would like to see in the classroom and the Writing Lab.  Plus, I want everyone to start calling me doctor haha. :)