SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

i received this reply from grad studies:

You will know by tomorrow. Watch your uwo.ca e-mail.

Cheers

;)

paula

not to get too analytical about it, but how would you all interpret that emoticon? good? bad? neutral?

PANIC PANIC PANIC! Aaaaaagh! Cease bathing! Cut off all your hair and chain yourself to the doors of the awards office!

*ahem*

No, it's probably maybe a good thing. Unless Ms. Paula is a total monster, at least. It'd be particularly cruel to give someone a wink when the message is going to be interpreted as "check your email every 5 minutes seconds for BIG NEWS" and not intend it to be a positive thing. Unfortunately, monsters can still be real.

But I'm not a psych major, so what I do know.

I emailed both the grad coordinator and the federal awards person at SGS. I'm not expecting any kind of revealing info from them, but I can't just sit here and do nothing. I'm out of fingernails to bite!

PANIC PANIC PANIC! Aaaaaagh! Cease bathing! Cut off all your hair and chain yourself to the doors of the awards office!

*ahem*

No, it's probably maybe a good thing. Unless Ms. Paula is a total monster, at least. It'd be particularly cruel to give someone a wink when the message is going to be interpreted as "check your email every 5 minutes seconds for BIG NEWS" and not intend it to be a positive thing. Unfortunately, monsters can still be real.

But I'm not a psych major, so what I do know.

ceased bathing weeks ago. check check check!

:)

Ok, just had a long talk with someone at SSHRC about my "recommended but not funded status". Basically, it is waitlist... I was recommended for funding but my subgroup ran out of money before they got to me. 18/80 people in my subgroup (psychology, counselling, linguistics) were funded, and I am currently sitting 14th on the waitlist. Meaning, ultimately, that there is no chance I will be funded, since pretty much every funded person would have to turn it down.

That being said, she said there have been years when every person on waitlist was funded due to unexpected increases in funding going to SSHRC. Their budgeting process is currently underway and should be complete in about a month. This is a very unlikely scenario, but provides some hope I guess.

In terms of scores, I received a 16.8/30. She said 17 or 18 is usually threshold for funding, which at least gives me some confidence that I am competitive for future years.

Good luck to everyone else!

Let it be known that this thread is currently taking more of my time than the orchestra commission I'm currently writing with a VERY LOOMING DEADLINE.

F5 F5 F5 F5 *write one or two notes* F5 F5 F5.

Just putting that out there.

I had the same result last year. Basically, it means you had a high quality application, but that they ran out of money before they could give you any. It goes by scores, so you probably just missed the cut. The good news is that this places you on a waiting list.

Here's the info I received last year about recommended but not funded:

"When applicants apply to a committee in the Doctoral Awards program (National competition), their applications are forwarded randomly to one of the committee's sub-groups (the number of sub-groups varies by committee and depends on the volume of applications received by the committee). Each sub-group is assigned three committee members (normally from different research backgrounds) that evaluate, score and rank all applications in their assigned sub-group. The success rate in the competition remains the same across all committees and their respective sub-groups.

Your place on the waiting list is determined by your score within your sub-group. If an award recipient in your sub-group declines their award, we will proceed through the list in rank order.

Please note, that there will be allot of movement on the recommended but not funded lists this summer. SSHRC plans to let applicants know their final decisions by August 2009.

Thank you very much for your patience with this matter and good luck in this year's competition"

Hope this helps.

Keep in mind that this means you had a very good application! It's still something to be proud of.

Thanks for this!

In terms of scores, I received a 16.8/30. She said 17 or 18 is usually threshold for funding, which at least gives me some confidence that I am competitive for future years.

That's a great attitude to have. Last year my score was 15, and this year I was funded. You're starting out a little higher than me... maybe next year you'll get a CGS!

i'm at york and contacted our FGS...their response was "FGS doesn't have the SSHRC results as of yet. My understanding is letters are in the mail. "

after reading about others who have heard from their departments/faculties i'm suspicious that they're just withholding info...and also, more panicked than ever!

Ok, just had a long talk with someone at SSHRC about my "recommended but not funded status". Basically, it is waitlist... I was recommended for funding but my subgroup ran out of money before they got to me. 18/80 people in my subgroup (psychology, counselling, linguistics) were funded, and I am currently sitting 14th on the waitlist. Meaning, ultimately, that there is no chance I will be funded, since pretty much every funded person would have to turn it down.

That being said, she said there have been years when every person on waitlist was funded due to unexpected increases in funding going to SSHRC. Their budgeting process is currently underway and should be complete in about a month. This is a very unlikely scenario, but provides some hope I guess.

Good luck to everyone else!

Thanks for the info, danswan. these numbers unnerve me considering I think I fall into this subgroup too. pulling for you on the waitlist!!

LOL...we are now interpreting emoticons!!! But seriously, hmm....the questions you need to ask yourself are 1) does Paula usually use emoticons? and 2) is it reasonable to believe that Paula would be "in the know" at this point? If the former is a 'no' and the latter is a 'yes' then I might be cautiously optimistic, as that IS an emoticon giving a wink!

Cheers

;)

paula

not to get too analytical about it, but how would you all interpret that emoticon? good? bad? neutral?

'Recommended but not funded', as well. Don't know where I am on the waiting list, but it doesn't look good. Ah well. Back to comps prep! Best of luck to the rest of you!

Did you find out at your dept or SGS?

Well, at least waitlisted doesn't mean an outright "no." There's still hope. And we can all still have a drink. wink.gif

<going insane here. not knowing is worse than rejection>

Sorry to hear that. I hope you ultimately do get the award. Why do you think "it doesn't look good"?

'Recommended but not funded', as well. Don't know where I am on the waiting list, but it doesn't look good. Ah well. Back to comps prep! Best of luck to the rest of you!

Aiiya, this is making me crazy! I received a notice of intersession RA funding yesterday so I think I was unsuccessful, but I can't get ahold of anyone in my department (probably end of term chaos). Oh man, this is brutal.. hahah... Edit: Yes, I received my confirmation that I was unsuccessful.. I'm more than a little disappointed. Oh wells, next year! :)

Congratulations to those who have been successful smile.gif

Edited by Amuna

Cheers

;)

paula

good definitely good... wink wink nudge nudge....

Anyone know who to call at mcgill?

I'm not sure that this has any impact on you, but the McGill fellowships officer has told me that the Master's results should be out "by the end of the month."

This is completely absurd.

<sigh>

as expected, here is the reply from SGS:

Dear XX,

Thank you for your email.

Please contact your Graduate administrator either today or tomorrow, they will have the results.

<end quote>

in the meantime, no one is getting back to me at my department, and I'm afraid by the end of the day the men in white coats will come to take me away.

<sigh>

as expected, here is the reply from SGS:

Dear XX,

Thank you for your email.

Please contact your Graduate administrator either today or tomorrow, they will have the results.

<end quote>

in the meantime, no one is getting back to me at my department, and I'm afraid by the end of the day the men in white coats will come to take me away.

Same thing for me. I haven't heard from either Grad Studies or my department, which makes me think that they don't know because my Grad secretary is really nice. My only hope now is that I'll receive a letter tomorrow, as I'm in Ottawa.

no SSHRC letter today. no word from grad studies at U of T or my departmental grad adminsitrator either. had a meeting with my supervisor today and he didn't seem to know. either that, or i didn't get it, and he didn't want to tell me directly...i am not gonna stress out about it today anymore.