ENMU SLP Leveling Pre-req Courses

MGH has been great. I am taking 2 courses at MGH and 2 at ENMU right now. Swift is very quick to respond to emails and I think the structure of the class is good. Her tests and quizzes are hard because she simply doesn't supply the information necessary to get 100%, which is ok but frustrating. She even states in her lectures that she doesn't want you to get an A ha! It definitely drives me crazy that you don't know what you got wrong. It seems to me that there has been a big issue with cheating in the past which is why they won't correct you. But how can I learn if I don't know what I got wrong? Then as I continue through the course, I am probably getting the same questions wrong! I wish there was more emphasis on true learning at ENMU.

MGH is definitely more interactive and more in depth. You are required to do discussion posts weekly to interact and learn from your peers and professors, which is time consuming but so critical to learning. The information seems to go much more in depth, which may be because it is a longer course. The professors hold current lectures (some of Swift's lectures are from 2012, I think) and interact with the class during these lectures. Lectures are optional to attend and you can see the recording later. Also, they let you take quizzes more than once because the purpose is LEARNING. However, the 2-3 exams you can only take once. It is definitely geared toward learning and understanding information. 

I have definitely learned that you get what you pay for! All that being said, I am a future grad student and I need to save money, so I absolutely do NOT regret taking ENMU classes. Despite the downfalls, ENMU is "easier" in many ways, you can go at your own pace, and they are less intense courses. 

17 hours ago, sublingual said:

You are taking 2 classes at BOTH MGH and ENMU during summer? You are superhuman. I am drowning and seeing my chances of success rapidly evaporate trying to take only 2 classes (mostly thanks to the Bougie class) and working part-time.

What specifically is it about Bougie that is so terrible, I may ask?  I took A&P at another unviersity near me but because it was a 200 level course, they're making me take it again at ENMU.  So will the fact that I already took it possibly give me an advantage?  

What have you heard about Barrow?  She seems to have terrible reviews too on ratemyprofessor.  I'm just trying to figure out who the lesser of two evils is.

8 hours ago, edardi1 said:

What specifically is it about Bougie that is so terrible, I may ask?  I took A&P at another unviersity near me but because it was a 200 level course, they're making me take it again at ENMU.  So will the fact that I already took it possibly give me an advantage?  

What have you heard about Barrow?  She seems to have terrible reviews too on ratemyprofessor.  I'm just trying to figure out who the lesser of two evils is.

I sent you a PM. A&P with Bougie is a very heavy workload and very time consuming between reading, lectures, projects, essays, quizzes and tests. Having taken A&P might help you some, you can concentrate on the parts that you may not have covered in a lower division class, like innervation and some of the speech musculature perhaps. It all depends on how in depth you went into speech and swallowing-specific A&P. If it was general A&P it may not help you a great deal. This is all specific to speech and swallowing, so 99.9% of class is spent between the navel, the cranium and clavicles. I don't know anything about Barrow. A&P won't be a cakewalk anywhere, I'm afraid.

On 7/15/2017 at 9:59 AM, sublingual said:

You are taking 2 classes at BOTH MGH and ENMU during summer? You are superhuman. I am drowning and seeing my chances of success rapidly evaporate trying to take only 2 classes (mostly thanks to the Bougie class) and working part-time.

Yes, I am taking 2 at MGH AND 2 at ENMU, but I am not working. It is hard but I probably do school work on average 35-40 hours a week, sometimes less. Honestly, I can't recommend MGH's anatomy class enough. I was so scared of that class, but it has probably been the easiest out of the four classes I am taking! That has a lot to do with the professor. The class average of Test 1 was a 94% or 96% so clearly most people are not struggling. That being said, not all MGH classes are like that, I just think this specific professor is easy. 

Edited by SpeechGal1234

On 7/20/2017 at 2:24 PM, SpeechGal1234 said:

Yes, I am taking 2 at MGH AND 2 at ENMU, but I am not working. It is hard but I probably do school work on average 35-40 hours a week, sometimes less. Honestly, I can't recommend MGH's anatomy class enough. I was so scared of that class, but it has probably been the easiest out of the four classes I am taking! That has a lot to do with the professor. The class average of Test 1 was a 94% or 96% so clearly most people are not struggling. That being said, not all MGH classes are like that, I just think this specific professor is easy. 

Wow, we don't even get to know how the rest of the class is doing in A&P. We don't get that information, and we don't get our tests and quizzes back so we can correct our mistakes either. I did very well on the first test, similar to your class, but there has been a significant dropoff since then. Now we're doing neuro stuff and the level of detail we're expected to remember is simply impossible. It might be that A&P is a weed-out class for the SLP program, and I might get weeded out.  I'm trying to improve my GPA over my first BS, and I'll be extremely fortunate if I can somehow steal a B out of this class.  That's not the "improvement" I needed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2017 at 0:24 PM, SpeechGal1234 said:

If you take anatomy at MGH will enmu accept that class? I'm applying to their 2nd BA program and I can't risk not doing well. 

On 8/12/2017 at 0:19 AM, KEIM said:

If you take anatomy at MGH will enmu accept that class? I'm applying to their 2nd BA program and I can't risk not doing well. 

I am not sure, but you can call ENMU and they will answer. Suzanne Swift at 575-562-2724 is often available and is quick to answer any questions you have. I assume they would accept A&P at MGH as a pre-req, but I can't be sure! 

• 9 months later...

I began leveling in CDIS after I received my initial Bachelor's in another field. I did that for one semester before applying for a 2nd Bachelor's since the same classes are required either way, might as well have something to show for it in the end. I just graduated in May and will begin the CDIS Graduate Program in August. I thought Neuroscience was the hardest undergrad course I took but I still got all A's taking 16+ credit hours each semester. If you listen to all the lectures and ask questions, that helps. It is helpful to look up rateaprof.com and read reviews before choosing a professor, if you have an opportunity to choose. Mr. Wilkerson and Dr. Swift are the most responsive, in my experience. Mr. Martin, Dr. Hall and Dr. Lingnau are great as well. Weems is tough, but gives extra credit.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2018 at 8:53 PM, dafall said:

I began leveling in CDIS after I received my initial Bachelor's in another field. I did that for one semester before applying for a 2nd Bachelor's since the same classes are required either way, might as well have something to show for it in the end. I just graduated in May and will begin the CDIS Graduate Program in August. I thought Neuroscience was the hardest undergrad course I took but I still got all A's taking 16+ credit hours each semester. If you listen to all the lectures and ask questions, that helps. It is helpful to look up rateaprof.com and read reviews before choosing a professor, if you have an opportunity to choose. Mr. Wilkerson and Dr. Swift are the most responsive, in my experience. Mr. Martin, Dr. Hall and Dr. Lingnau are great as well. Weems is tough, but gives extra credit.

@dafall I messaged you! 

• 2 months later...

Hey! I'm been trying to get the anatomy syllabus for CSID 300 here at ENMU to see if it will transfer to my uni. Does anyone have it so they could send it to me? I really appreciate it. Anatomy the first time kicked my butt!!

Edited by sdozier99

On 10/22/2018 at 10:02 AM, sdozier99 said:

Hey! I'm been trying to get the anatomy syllabus for CSID 300 here at ENMU to see if it will transfer to my uni. Does anyone have it so they could send it to me? I really appreciate it. Anatomy the first time kicked my butt!!

I can send it you! PM me

On 8/10/2018 at 8:35 AM, Carlyfish said:

I am looking to take Aural Rehab at ENMU. I am currently in the FSU's bridge program but they do not offer this course. Did anyone take the 8 week course and could tell me how it was? 

Hi,

I am currently taking Aural Rehab 8 wk course with lingnau. It seems straightforward...so far. But I'm only about 2 weeks in. 

• 4 months later...

This thread is awesome! Thanks for everyone who has shared info!!

I'm currently looking to take three classes this summer and was wondering if any of these prereqs are sequential, or if I'm free to take any that I'd like. They recommend two (Neuro + Survey of Communicative Disorders) in their year-long plan, but I have to take three to be eligible to apply to SFSU this fall. Anyone have recommendations of a third class, or if I should sub out Neuro for two different courses, given how hard people are reporting that it is? If I take Basic Audiology first, will it make sense? I'd like to front load it in case I end up liking audiology better.

Edited by seeingeyeduck
add bit about audiology

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/20/2017 at 3:24 PM, SpeechGal1234 said:

I realize this is a zombie thread but I was wondering if you would share the professor that you had for Anatomy at MGH?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 4:10 PM, cityslp said:

Does anyone happen to have the Articulation/ Phonology syllabus for ENMU? I'm trying to get it approved by my home institution but haven't been able to retrieve it through ENMU professors. 

Yes, I have the syllabi for both those classes. I took it with Malinda Howard. PM your email and I'll send it to you. 

1 hour ago, KEIM said:

Yes, I have the syllabi for both those classes. I took it with Malinda Howard. PM your email and I'll send it to you. 

Wow, what a small world! I suppose it could be a different Malinda Howard, but that's the name of my supervisor at my upcoming summer placement! 

On 4/20/2019 at 10:16 PM, bibliophile222 said:

Wow, what a small world! I suppose it could be a different Malinda Howard, but that's the name of my supervisor at my upcoming summer placement! 

Maybe it is the same professor :)

• 1 year later...