Well, Friday is fast approaching and I still haven't decided what I want to do. I'm stuck between choosing either employment or pursuing a graduate degree (where doesn't really matter at this point)

When I was applying back in the fall, I wasn't really expecting to get in anywhere, let alone get in with funding. So, realizing that I'm graduating soon and need to have a plan, I start looking for work. I find out by word of mouth that a company I've been interested in working for is hiring. So, naturally, I sent in my resume, but again, I wasn't really expecting anything to come out of it. Well, a couple weeks later I get the job and have been working there for the last few months.

Now I've got a job and some acceptance letters and can't decide on which I want to pursue.

On the one hand a job offers stability and relieves a lot of stress about what comes after graduation. Not only that, but I have a lot of loyalty for the company I work for and they're pretty invested in me staying long term (why else would they pay for a certification and give me, an intern, a raise). Also, I've built friendships at this company and I feel like leaving so soon would burn a lot of bridges really fast. 

On the other hand, grad school is what I've been working towards for most of my adult life. To give up on it so soon is just crappy and I really don't like that my employer doesn't want me going to grad school. Again, I also feel like not choosing grad school would also burn bridges because I have connections at these schools that go back a few years and I feel like I would let these people down. Basically, they've also invested a lot in me.

Yeah, I understand that I can always go to grad school later, and that's something I might take into consideration, but you know, how much longer would I have to wait to pursue my dreams? Also, I really like working for this company and would like to continue doing so, but they've made it clear I would have to either choose grad school or working for them, there would be no compromise. Of course, I could always come back after I finish my degree, but would they even want me back? Would they even be able to offer me a position in 4 or 5 years?

There are just too many unknowns for me to make a definite decision right now and I'm going to have to do a lot of meditating on this. I've talked to coworkers and supervisors, half say to stay at the company, the other half say to pursue what I want and I'm not sure which side is more correct. 

I just really don't know what to do.

On 4/18/2017 at 10:24 AM, eveline said:

Just read about your dilemma.  What did you end up doing?  Sounds like a difficult choice, but very good place to be in to have so many options! 

Well, I've decided grad school, but I haven't told my employer yet. I'm trying to figure out a way to gently break the news to my direct supervisor, but I don't know if I would even be able to as he's a very serious and intimidating person. It's not that he's a terrifying boss, just that he has a very low threshold for things that annoy or anger him and I really want to avoid him becoming infuriated.

11 hours ago, underscore_frosty said:

Well, I've decided grad school, but I haven't told my employer yet. I'm trying to figure out a way to gently break the news to my direct supervisor, but I don't know if I would even be able to as he's a very serious and intimidating person. It's not that he's a terrifying boss, just that he has a very low threshold for things that annoy or anger him and I really want to avoid him becoming infuriated.

Now I'm thinking graduate school was the right choice.

6 hours ago, DiscoTech said:

Now I'm thinking graduate school was the right choice.

Well, working in information security is already stressful enough as it is, I can only imagine how stressful it is being the sole security engineer AND manager of of the security operations center as well.

He's generally a nice guy, just very, very particular with how things are done or should be done. And when he gets angry, it's more of the 'disappointed father' type of anger than violently angry.

Regardless, I'm confident I made the right decision.

On 4/21/2017 at 9:36 PM, underscore_frosty said:

Well, working in information security is already stressful enough as it is, I can only imagine how stressful it is being the sole security engineer AND manager of of the security operations center as well.

He's generally a nice guy, just very, very particular with how things are done or should be done. And when he gets angry, it's more of the 'disappointed father' type of anger than violently angry.

Regardless, I'm confident I made the right decision.

Glad to hear - good luck on your program!

• 10 months later...

I took a lucrative job at a corporation during my last quarter of undergrad studies.  Then, I got sucked into the standard financial trap and couldn't break away to follow my path in academia.  Home loans, car loans, girl friends, consumerism, it all added up to a KEEP WORKING mentality.  After a few years I had enough and sold my land, vehicles, horses and tractors, then went traveling for a few years to prep for grad school and see the world.  That decision was the best I ever made.  If I would of kept on with academia, I'd already have a PhD and working in the field I originally wanted to pursue.  Now I feel like I'm playing catch up.  

Is work really that important right now?  You can always work somewhere, somehow.  You have a heartbeat, that's what counts.  Choose school!  Everything will work out in the end.  I know, it sounds romantic...  :-)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2018 at 8:56 AM, Green Machine said:

I took a lucrative job at a corporation during my last quarter of undergrad studies.  Then, I got sucked into the standard financial trap and couldn't break away to follow my path in academia.  Home loans, car loans, girl friends, consumerism, it all added up to a KEEP WORKING mentality.  After a few years I had enough and sold my land, vehicles, horses and tractors, then went traveling for a few years to prep for grad school and see the world.  That decision was the best I ever made.  If I would of kept on with academia, I'd already have a PhD and working in the field I originally wanted to pursue.  Now I feel like I'm playing catch up.  

Is work really that important right now?  You can always work somewhere, somehow.  You have a heartbeat, that's what counts.  Choose school!  Everything will work out in the end.  I know, it sounds romantic...  :-)

very well put Green Machine, in fact if your employer is good, I am sure they will understand your perspective of pursuing your dream. I am currently working and my employer knows that I can leave, yet they are holding onto me and are prepared in case I leave in fall. Being honest will help you and them as well. In case you are late in breaking the news to them, it would hit them hard by delay in finding suitable replacements. So go ahead pursue your dream and be honest with the employer.