SLPs in Public Schools

Hey all. Anyone know or have heard how easy /difficult it is to work in a public school as an SLP? And also any idea on starting salary? I'm in NY but I'm interested to get some info based on anywhere in the US because NY is way too expensive to stay in anyway. I hear the starting salary here is $70K but I'm sure there's so much variability. I know SLPs at the school I work at and they def don't get that much and have worked better for years. So I wonder how the pay in public schools differ and whether or not it's a 'not what you know but who you know' type of thing to get started

My supervisors, have decades of experience and make around 58-62k, but thats in Nebraska and the school district here is really---not so great with their compensation.

In Texas, I'm seeing postings where the average starting rate is around the lower 60s.

Depending on your caseload size, whether you have an assistant, and whether you have to treat special populations while in the schools, the ease of the job varies I suppose.

Edited by Chai Tea Latte

It really depends on the school district. I live in California, and you can view the salaries of speech pathologists in their district if you go to the school district's website. For my local school district, you can reach 100k in about five years. Starting is around 80k I believe. But again, I would check the school district websites. 

In terms of ease, I would shadow a school SLP. For some people, school SLP work is manageable, but it may not be so for others.

I'm in Utah and the school SLP starting pay is pitiful (like around 40k to start), but I think it's probably up there as worst in the nation. They are constantly hiring school SLPs here (gee I wonder why?). Caseload here is also bad but it depends on the district you work in. Also no state support for a caseload max, so you have to be super vocal/sticky wheel if they stick you with a high caseload. 

I second what the poster above said. I'm from CA and school districts are ALWAYS hiring in my area (Los Angeles). I hear starting salary ranges from 70-80k depending on which district you work for and its not hard to reach 90-100k. The school district I currently work for even offers a pretty big sign-on bonus too.

ASHA publishes a survey periodically. Here is the link to the one from 2016.

Our school district starts at $73k but cost of living is super-high. If you don't have a spouse to help support you, you're going to have a long commute from outlying areas where housing is cheaper.