How I got into Grad School (low GPA and GRE)

On 5/8/2017 at 5:19 PM, Louly said:

Great job! I'm proud of your perseverance. --I had the same story, a cumulative of 2.8 and even lower GRE scores but worked my a$$ off to prove I've changed. Got accepted first round! 

Where did you get accepted to

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 5/7/2017 at 10:06 PM, Kslptobe said:

Well, I promised myself if I ever got into grad school I would post on gradcafe to help others out there that are trying to as well. Hopefully this information inspires you to pursue your dream of becoming an SLP.  

Back story: When I was younger, I was diagnosed with a learning disability (auditory and visual processing). I always had to try harder in school than the average student. I went to community college after high school because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I always had a liking working with kids. In the back of my mind, I always knew I wanted to be a teacher, but I hated subjects so I wasn't sure how that was going to work out lol. After researching Speech Pathology, I realized I wanted to be an SLP. I observed a few SLPs before I made the decision to transfer to a University and pursue a Bachelors degree in Speech Pathology. I was only accepted into one school in California because my cumulative GPA was a 2.6 (did I mention I HATE subject courses). After two grueling years pursuing a Bachelors degree in Speech, I managed to graduate with a 3.7 CDS GPA and 3.2 cumulative GPA. During the two year program, I had the WORST faculty. They were not supportive at all and had their favorites. It was terrible and I am so glad I am not going there for grad school. 

Ok, so this is how I got into grad school: 

I worked my ass off during my two year undergrad program by volunteering at a school (classroom and SLP), hospital (child life department), NSSLHA events, reading program, and an aphasia support group. I applied to three grad school programs my senior year, scored extremely low on the GRE and didn't get accepted. I even applied to my undergrad summer SLPA program and didn't get accepted. I knew I had to take a gap year and work in a related field. After I graduated, I worked as a behavioral therapist. It has almost been a year now since I started, and honestly, it was the best idea. It reassured me that I was meant to work with kids and become a therapist. I don't necessarily love ABA, since I have long in-home therapy sessions, but I believe this experience helped me get into grad school. I applied to 12 schools this time. I retook the GRE and scored a little higher, but still low. V:140, Q:145, A: 3.5.  I researched literally every single program on ASHA edfind with low GPA and GRE scores. Also, I rewrote my letter of intent and had it proof read from sooo many people. I was determined to get in. I ended up being accepted into one school, waitlisted for 3 schools and rejected from the rest. The school that I was accepted to is literally my number 1 choice. I was in shock. I finally did it. 

So what I am trying to say here is that, YOU CAN DO IT. Don't give up. If you really want it, you will make it happen. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask me! Grad cafe really helped me research my schools and kept me up to date on the grad school process. I am so thankful for all the support on here. 

What school did you get into? Plz I feel I'm in the sameboat.

Edited by Slp2bplz

@Kslptobe thank you for posting! You are amazing! I too have a learning disability (the struggle is very, very real - so many people just don't get that we are perfectly smart and capable of learning) and this was so encouraging for me! :)

On 5/26/2017 at 11:20 AM, tvl said:

I was in a similar predicament- my scores aren't the greatest and I graduated in 2012 and didn't keep in touch with professors. What I think really helped me this time around was taking a few pre-reqs I was missing (neuro and lang. science) and 2 grad courses with ENMU. I did that to 1. boost my GPA and show them I am capable of receiving A's and 2. build a relationship with current professors who can write LORs for me. I had 2 professors from ENMU and my current supervisor write my letters of LOR. Of course I re-took the GREs, worked hard on SOP, yada yada but I definitely think taking classes and forming new relationships with new professors helped me tremendously. 

Maybe you can re-take a class you have a low grade in or a pre-req some schools require that you are missing? Not sure if I would recommend taking grad classes because now that I've been accepted into a different program they may not accept the classes which is a bummer but some good came out of it so I don't completely regret it.

I've been worried that I might have trouble getting LOR from ENMU professors. I've had people say that a few won't write LORs for online students. Do you have any advice on connecting with professors there? Which ones wrote you LORs? I feel like many of them take a few days to respond to email which makes it difficult to carry conversation when it takes forever to reply back and forth.

This gives me hope! I have a 3.3 GPA in the major, but my last 2 years was 3.58. My GRE scores are terrible, but I feel better having my rec letters and statements. I'm happy to know there are people out there who have gotten into grad school with low GPA and GRE scores (below 300 or even 290).

• 2 months later...
On 5/8/2017 at 1:06 AM, Kslptobe said:

Well, I promised myself if I ever got into grad school I would post on gradcafe to help others out there that are trying to as well. Hopefully this information inspires you to pursue your dream of becoming an SLP.  

Back story: When I was younger, I was diagnosed with a learning disability (auditory and visual processing). I always had to try harder in school than the average student. I went to community college after high school because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I always had a liking working with kids. In the back of my mind, I always knew I wanted to be a teacher, but I hated subjects so I wasn't sure how that was going to work out lol. After researching Speech Pathology, I realized I wanted to be an SLP. I observed a few SLPs before I made the decision to transfer to a University and pursue a Bachelors degree in Speech Pathology. I was only accepted into one school in California because my cumulative GPA was a 2.6 (did I mention I HATE subject courses). After two grueling years pursuing a Bachelors degree in Speech, I managed to graduate with a 3.7 CDS GPA and 3.2 cumulative GPA. During the two year program, I had the WORST faculty. They were not supportive at all and had their favorites. It was terrible and I am so glad I am not going there for grad school. 

Ok, so this is how I got into grad school: 

I worked my ass off during my two year undergrad program by volunteering at a school (classroom and SLP), hospital (child life department), NSSLHA events, reading program, and an aphasia support group. I applied to three grad school programs my senior year, scored extremely low on the GRE and didn't get accepted. I even applied to my undergrad summer SLPA program and didn't get accepted. I knew I had to take a gap year and work in a related field. After I graduated, I worked as a behavioral therapist. It has almost been a year now since I started, and honestly, it was the best idea. It reassured me that I was meant to work with kids and become a therapist. I don't necessarily love ABA, since I have long in-home therapy sessions, but I believe this experience helped me get into grad school. I applied to 12 schools this time. I retook the GRE and scored a little higher, but still low. V:140, Q:145, A: 3.5.  I researched literally every single program on ASHA edfind with low GPA and GRE scores. Also, I rewrote my letter of intent and had it proof read from sooo many people. I was determined to get in. I ended up being accepted into one school, waitlisted for 3 schools and rejected from the rest. The school that I was accepted to is literally my number 1 choice. I was in shock. I finally did it. 

So what I am trying to say here is that, YOU CAN DO IT. Don't give up. If you really want it, you will make it happen. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask me! Grad cafe really helped me research my schools and kept me up to date on the grad school process. I am so thankful for all the support on here. 

This is an awesome thread, that I am so happy I came across! I am actually in the same boat at the moment, trying to get myself back into graduate school after graduating in 2017 with a degree in communication sciences and disorders. I was wondering, what did you need to do to become a behavior therapist? I have been trying to research requirements, but in many cases it seems as if it is a whole other degree that needs to be completed. I was just wondering how you came across a job in that area and what did you need to do to get hired as a behavior therapist?

4 hours ago, Morgan Curtis said:

This is an awesome thread, that I am so happy I came across! I am actually in the same boat at the moment, trying to get myself back into graduate school after graduating in 2017 with a degree in communication sciences and disorders. I was wondering, what did you need to do to become a behavior therapist? I have been trying to research requirements, but in many cases it seems as if it is a whole other degree that needs to be completed. I was just wondering how you came across a job in that area and what did you need to do to get hired as a behavior therapist?

I graduated in 2016 and thought becoming a behavior therapist would look good on my resume and application. Plus the experience working with children has taught me alot that I can utilize in the future when I work.

For me, there weren't any special qualifications needed to become a behavior therapist. I had experience working with children with special needs. You do need some credits in child development, but your degree should cover it! 

5 hours ago, Morgan Curtis said:

I was wondering, what did you need to do to become a behavior therapist? I have been trying to research requirements, but in many cases it seems as if it is a whole other degree that needs to be completed. I was just wondering how you came across a job in that area and what did you need to do to get hired as a behavior therapist?

Here’s a reccent topic you might find helpful. :) 

On 5/12/2017 at 11:30 AM, ashny said:

Thanks Kslptobe. It's good to know that AshaEdfind's scores are not set in stone. Congratulations on your admission. It's a wonderful story and inspiration.

On 5/8/2017 at 4:19 PM, Louly said:

Great job! I'm proud of your perseverance. --I had the same story, a cumulative of 2.8 and even lower GRE scores but worked my a$$ off to prove I've changed. Got accepted first round! 

Hi @Louly I just wanted to ask what schools you applied to and how you proved that you changed?

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 10:25 PM, Sarinam42 said:

Hi @Louly I just wanted to ask what schools you applied to and how you proved that you changed?

I was accepted at U of Memphis, U of Oregon, U of Utah, and Florida State. My last 80 credits, I maintained a 3.80 GPA. I also got involved with extracurricular activities (chancellor student ambassadors), research (presented at ASHA), and volunteered as an AAC assistance for an aphasia group. In my cover letter, I was straight forward about my struggles of being a first-gen student and how it affected my academic decisions. I hope that helps!