2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

3 minutes ago, Archidamus said:

Rejection from Wisconsin

I hardly thought it would reject me with pretty high GRE scores..

Lowest ranked school I applied to.

What should I do.... :(

I interviewed with the admissions committee last almost two weeks ago. I was surprised to be rejected today, too. UW is a perfect fit for my research interests. 

4 minutes ago, Archidamus said:

Rejection from Wisconsin

Admissions are so idiosyncratic. You get into a high ranked program but get rejected from a lower ranked one. Chin up ? 

16 minutes ago, Archidamus said:

Rejection from Wisconsin

Believe it or not, my score is 167/170 but wisconsin rejected me and northwestern seems to also given that I am a theory and didn't get any contact yet. You never know.

13 minutes ago, sfirus93 said:

Believe it or not, my score is 167/170 but wisconsin rejected me and northwestern seems to also given that I am a theory and didn't get any contact yet. You never know.

That's a relief. Mine is V165/5.0.

I guess GRE doesnt matter that much.

GRE is important, but it only gets you into the door, it does not get you accepted anywhere. There's a huge contingent of applicants for every program that have excellent scores and another contingent that has decent or good ones with otherwise stellar applications.

Edited by Comparativist

15 minutes ago, sfirus93 said:

Me too, actually, as an international whose mother tongue is nothing to do with english, it was hard for me to get that score haha.

I have friends looking to apply next year as international students and I know that the Verbal and AWA is something definitely lurking in their minds. Thankfully non-english speakers aren't held to the same standard as us native speakers. Still, the GRE seems inherently flawed for this reason (although so is GPA due to grade inflation in some countries vs others).

6 minutes ago, Hamb said:

I have friends looking to apply next year as international students and I know that the Verbal and AWA is something definitely lurking in their minds. Thankfully non-english speakers aren't held to the same standard as us native speakers. Still, the GRE seems inherently flawed for this reason (although so is GPA due to grade inflation in some countries vs others).

Actually, I am ok with the verbal (167). And it is a relief to know that the 'afirmative action' for internationals (is this applying to a theory too?). Thank you. Btw what does it mean that GRE is 'flawed' this season?

Edited by sfirus93

2 minutes ago, sfirus93 said:

Actually, I am ok with the verbal (167). And it is a relief to know that the 'afirmative action' for internationals (is this applying to a theory too?). Thank you. And what does it mean that GRE is 'flawed' this season?

167 as a non-native is great! Be confident of that for your other applications.

26 minutes ago, sfirus93 said:

Actually, I am ok with the verbal (167). And it is a relief to know that the 'afirmative action' for internationals (is this applying to a theory too?). Thank you. Btw what does it mean that GRE is 'flawed' this season?

Which would you guys say is more important between GPA and GRE? Can a high GRE compensate for mediocre GPA?

A question for all the theory people who seem to be sitting on this thread tonight: How specific did you guys get about your proposed research in the SoP?

Congratulations to all those accepted to Northwestern today! I'm still sweating out the fear of getting totally rejected this cycle, so even if it's not your #1 it's a real accomplishment you should be proud of (it's definitely an awesome place for those seeking a more 'continental' pov).

3 minutes ago, deutsch1997bw said:

So a high GPA can compensate for a low GRE?

I mean in terms of exchange rate, GRE is much stronger but basically, yes. As long as you excelled in the math and statistic courses, your low quant score would not be a huge defect. Likewise, if you published a batch of articles (even though on the student journals), I believe that your low verbal score or AWA would be somewhat compensated.