2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

15 hours ago, deutsch1997bw said:

Congrats! What are your subfield interests in CP? I applied there, too, but have yet to hear anything.

The personalized email with a funding offer came today from DGS! I'm interested in why democracies breakdown with a regional focus on central and eastern Europe. Good luck to you! Last year UNC admitted in several waves and it's still really early to hear back from most universities! 

10 minutes ago, cb2017 said:

The personalized email with a funding offer came today from DGS! I'm interested in why democracies breakdown with a regional focus on central and eastern Europe. Good luck to you! Last year UNC admitted in several waves and it's still really early to hear back from most universities! 

Did you post your results twice? Because there are 2 UNC admits now ?

5 hours ago, Gramscian_Minivan said:

Does anyone think there are still more letters of acceptance to be sent out by Wisconsin or does the current delay suggest they may have accepted everyone they plan on accepting at this point?

My understanding is that there are still letters to be sent out.

4 minutes ago, Sheldon2017 said:

One of the schools that I have applied to gave me an institutional email address. In other words, now I have an institutional email address of this university! Do universities usually do it? This seems a bit unusual to me.

One of the schools I applied to gave me a campus number a few weeks after I've applied, so I am not sure it is indicative of greater things to come. But I haven't had an email address given to me by that institution, so I don't know...

20 hours ago, buckinghamubadger said:

@megabee, how important is funding to you? To me it's one of the most important factors to the extent that I'd be willing to go somewhere that is less prestigious in order to ensure that I'll be making a decent living wage, I really don't want to end up at one of these places that throws you 15K to live in a high cost of living area. If it's that important to you, I think it's fair game to ask now. If you'd take an offer from somewhere in spite of bad funding because it's a better program, I'd keep my mouth shut.

I'm in a similar boat. I've no outside funding, so I'll be relying entirely on the stipend (much like many others on this forum). I'd be willing to reject a strong program with a poor funding offer. My partner is moving in with me after they finish their MA program in a year, and I've spent my entire life perfecting several instant ramen recipes, so I don't need an amazing offer - just a livable one. I can have a bit of wiggle room, but I draw a firm line at sharing a room with someone. I'm fine sharing an apartment with roommates, but I'm not splitting a room. I'm not an eighteen year old college freshman claiming the top bunk! I just want to afford the  basics.

20 hours ago, dagnabbit said:

In my experience, funding packages were sent out 2-3 weeks after formal notice of admission. I would wait to send an e-mail, as they probably don't even have details to give you at this point. If you're curious about the stipend, this is usually pretty easy to figure out - many programs list it on their website, and there is also a database that you can search.

This is an amazing resource to have! Thank you so much. I think I'll follow your advice and hold off on the email.

Congrats to the admits to Penn State so far! 

I also applied but haven't heard from them. Studying the past years patterns of Penn State on the result board tells me that they would announce the offer on the same day and send the rejection mails through post office. Does that mean if I haven't heard from them today, I can expect a letter in my mail box...

38 minutes ago, Midwest_PoliNERD said:

I can also report that I was admitted to the University of Illinois. They are shooting for a cohort of about 9, and they admitted only three Americanists and I am one. So anxiety is much less now. Best to everyone!

Is this for a transfer? I see from your profile that you committed to UNC for the 2015-2016 cycle.

16 minutes ago, cpmethods said:

By the way, I heard from a friend who is there that UChicago is done with the admissions process. We should be hearing back next week

That does line up with how they've released results in the past (2/2 in 2017, 2/3 in 2016, 1/30 in 2015) so I could believe this. What seems odd to me is that I have a personal website where I showcase some research and it has analytics and I haven't had anyone view it from the Chicago area recently. Either they're very careful about hiding that, or not careful at all about going through the entire application, hahaha. Maybe both are encouraging to forum-goers :)

Congrats on all the acceptances so far, everyone! Looking forward to joining the club (hopefully, knock on wood) in the next few weeks.

Edited by zereg
Added the final sentence.

18 hours ago, Hamb said:

@BFB Thanks for making an appearance here. I've read through all of the faculty perspectives thread, and want to say thank you for all the help. Your insights have been helpful not only through the application process, but now through waiting on the admissions decisions!

Thank you! Happy to do what I can.

@toad1 No this is not a transfer. I applied to UNC back during that cycle and got in and committed, but I had a heath crisis that, on doctor's advice, forced me to withdraw and return home. So I had to go through the process again. U of I is really close to where I live - about 50 miles away - so applying there made sense. Also from what the DGS told me over the phone, they have more of a political behavior/psychology bent than I originally thought. So that is where I am. Just ignore that past stuff.

Edited by Midwest_PoliNERD

26 minutes ago, Midwest_PoliNERD said:

@toad1 No this is not a transfer. I applied to UNC back during that cycle and got in and committed, but I had a heath crisis that, on doctor's advice, forced me to withdraw and return home. So I had to go through the process again. U of I is really close to where I live - about 50 miles away - so applying there made sense. Also from what the DGS told me over the phone, they have more of a political behavior/psychology bent than I originally thought. So that is where I am. Just ignore that past stuff.

Sorry to hear about that, but congrats on U of I!