2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

5 hours ago, Midwest_PoliNERD said:

I can also report that I was admitted to the University of Illinois. They are shooting for a cohort of about 9, and they admitted only three Americanists and I am one. So anxiety is much less now. Best to everyone!

Wow. It's awesome. Congrats! 

Should we assume that all acceptances were already sent out?

@meteora I have heard that some schools tend to accept their top choices first and then wait and see if they decide to go before sending out other acceptances. In the past it looks like Illinois has accepted people late in the cycle, which may be indicative of them doing this, but it's also possible those were people who were initially waitlisted. So it's tough to say, but possible that they are not done yet. Also it's possible that AP got released first and other subfields will come later it you're in a different subfield. I certainly wouldn't assume rejection yet.

8 minutes ago, buckinghamubadger said:

@meteora I have heard that some schools tend to accept their top choices first and then wait and see if they decide to go before sending out other acceptances. In the past it looks like Illinois has accepted people late in the cycle, which may be indicative of them doing this, but it's also possible those were people who were initially waitlisted. So it's tough to say, but possible that they are not done yet. Also it's possible that AP got released first and other subfields will come later it you're in a different subfield. I certainly wouldn't assume rejection yet.

Yeah. Hopefully, they have been still deliberating. 

@sfirus93 no problem. UT, Northwestern and CU Boulder should start to trickle in any day now (in fact UT might already have a result or two). It also sounds like there are more OSU and Stony Brook decisions coming soon. I don't know anything about Penn State or Arizona, but its possible that they will have more decisions

Looking at decision dates last year, I noticed that it would not be out of the ordinary for any of the three top 20s I applied to (WashU, Princeton, Michigan) to announce next week. WUSTL tends to be Late January/Early February pretty regularly. Some years UMich and Princeton announce in late Jan/early Feb, some years they wait until late-mid Feb, so it's hard to get a read on those two.

UCI is also likely to announce some decisions and conduct interviews next week or the one after. 

If there is particular interest in a set of schools, I can look into it. I'd like to post something of a forecast by weekends end to help ease (or heighten) anyone's anxiety

3 hours ago, meteora said:

Wow. It's awesome. Congrats! 

Should we assume that all acceptances were already sent out?

Hey thanks for the congrats. I can't say much about if other acceptances have been sent out, especially for subfields other than AP. But don't give up hope if you applied there. I agree with the above post on waiting for commitment or not before sending out more. I will let you know as I know more. Best!

51 minutes ago, buckinghamubadger said:

@csantamir, It looks like IU typically decides in the 2nd or 3rd week of Feb. Notre Dame and Virgina each seem have 'slow drip' admissions processes. I estimate each may start making decisions the week after next and continue doing so until mid to late march

Sigh... thanks!

Hi all, another long time lurker here, decided to finally register given how much time I've already spent here and will spend until March. 

I got a Stony Brook interview as well and am nervously preparing for it. It will at least keep me busy for a while. Wish me luck and I will be thankful for any tips.

Edited by ShropshireLad

Claiming that acceptance from SUNY-UB! Received acceptance email from Graduate Director of program, with full tuition coverage and stipend. Details about funding to come in the week or so after confirmation from Dean of College of Arts and Sciences! Finally, first confirmed funded offer from a school! Whew...

7 hours ago, ShropshireLad said:

Hi all, another long time lurker here, decided to finally register given how much time I've already spent here and will spend until March. 

I got a Stony Brook interview as well and am nervously preparing for it. It will at least keep me busy for a while. Wish me luck and I will be thankful for any tips.

I'm also a lurker who finally registered - although I didn't let myself lurk until I started getting decisions.  I had an interview with Stony Brook as well, very informal and comfortable.  Much more of a conversation than a traditional interview.  Good luck - feel free to message me if you have any specific questions!

3 minutes ago, JMCrawfordNJ said:

Tell me about it. With each passing day this week I've been checking more and more. I'm at "do anything else to distract myself" levels.

I have plenty of things to keep me occupied (e.g. prep for upcoming presentation, reading, etc.), but I'm finding it very difficult to concentrate for long periods of time.

32 minutes ago, deutsch1997bw said:

I'm really hoping to hear from either Northwestern or UT-Austin today. 

I have a sneaky suspicion UT-Austin might be a little delayed due to the campus closing for winter weather in the past few weeks. I guess it just depends on how much work the AdComm was able to get done in the weeks prior. UT is a perfect fit for me, so I am anxiously awaiting their notifications to start coming in.

35 minutes ago, DKG18 said:

I have a sneaky suspicion UT-Austin might be a little delayed due to the campus closing for winter weather in the past few weeks. I guess it just depends on how much work the AdComm was able to get done in the weeks prior. UT is a perfect fit for me, so I am anxiously awaiting their notifications to start coming in.

Latin Americanist?