2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

3 minutes ago, CandyCanes said:

Your transcript wasn't attached to your application?

It was, it was in english but it was not an american institution so they sent me an email saying they want it also in original language which makes absolute no sense to me as they would not be able to understand it

2 minutes ago, cpmethods said:

It was, it was in english but it was not an american institution so they sent me an email saying they want it also in original language which makes absolute no sense to me as they would not be able to understand it

The same thing happened to me at another school. My university offers official transcripts in multiple languages to help out graduating students, and for whatever reason one of the American universities I applied to also requested a native language copy, even though the English copy is considered official by my university.

4 minutes ago, Hamb said:

The same thing happened to me at another school. My university offers official transcripts in multiple languages to help out graduating students, and for whatever reason one of the American universities I applied to also requested a native language copy, even though the English copy is considered official by my university.

And did you hear back anything regarding your decision from that school?

2 minutes ago, cpmethods said:

And did you hear back anything regarding your decision from that school?

No, but it was all the way back in December. At the school that requested them the application goes to the graduate office, I think they check that everything is complete, and then send complete applications to the department. Pretty sure it's just a university wide policy that if transcripts are from a non-English speaking country they like to have both just to be careful, at least at the university I applied to.

3 minutes ago, Hamb said:

No, but it was all the way back in December. At the school that requested them the application goes to the graduate office, I think they check that everything is complete, and then send complete applications to the department. Pretty sure it's just a university wide policy that if transcripts are from a non-English speaking country they like to have both just to be careful, at least at the university I applied to.

Thank you! I guess because of my anxiety, I am trying to read too much from anything that comes..

Edited by cpmethods

3 minutes ago, cpmethods said:

Thank you! I guess because of my anxiety, I am trying to read to much from anything that comes..

I don't want to discourage you though, because maybe it does mean something in your case! I just wanted to share that I also found it weird how a university would make such a request, but I'm sure there's a logical explanation for them.

Received a rejection from Emory 15 minutes ago. Emailed from DGS.

It mentioned "I regret to inform you that the faculty in the program you applied to has not recommended you for admission". Does this mean I passed the ad comm review but not accepted by the POI? I'm a little confused by the sentence.

7 minutes ago, Qw23 said:

Received a rejection from Emory 15 minutes ago. Emailed from DGS.

It mentioned "I regret to inform you that the faculty in the program you applied to has not recommended you for admission". Does this mean I passed the ad comm review but not accepted by the POI? I'm a little confused by the sentence.

Was it an individualized email or does it look like it was sent to a lot of people?

3 minutes ago, CandyCanes said:

Was it an individualized email or does it look like it was sent to a lot of people?

It's a generic email. So it means that it's just their way of wording the rejections?

1 hour ago, not@prof_yet said:

Still haven't heard anything from anyone yet (0a/0w/0r/7p). To people that have received results: did you hear them via email or did you ever find out by checking an application submission page?

For me, it was the results page on this website. Someone else (thank you, kind stranger) had checked the application submission page, and directed us there. There was an informal email that followed, about 6 hours later, and a formal email a few days afterwards.

From what I can tell, there seems to be two fairly normal possibilities with admissions notifications: you either find out on the application portal first, then an email following a few hours later, or the exact opposite. That being said, it makes it a bit difficult to give you a straightforward answer. You might consider searching the results page to see if anyone left comments about how they were notified in the past few years from the institution you applied for if you think it might ease your mind a bit. 

Personally, I wouldn't fret if you haven't heard anything yet. It's still really early in the admission cycle. I'm not counting on hearing back from any of my other schools for at least another two weeks. 

(1a/0w/0r/4p)

3 minutes ago, skhann said:

Just got an email from UMinn saying admission decisions will be sent out the week of Feb. 19. Rejection radar on.

I literally was just typing the same thing. Do you think that is what it means or that they may be late in making decisions?

2 minutes ago, Midwest_PoliNERD said:

I literally was just typing the same thing. Do you think that is what it means or that they may be late in making decisions?

I got the same and was wondering the same - if everyone got that email, I feel better about it.

4 minutes ago, mcm1 said:

They already did

shot-2018-01-29_22-35-55.jpg

I am talking about something like a news app something that will send a notification to my lock screen on my phone. Not an email or something that I see when I open my browser. Is there something like that? Please let me know, it will help a lot

3 minutes ago, Midwest_PoliNERD said:

That might be evidence for a "they are just late in making decisions" conclusion. I still don't like it. 

Who does? That's part of the application cycle. I'm wondering if anyone can claim any interviews or personal emails etc. That would indicate how far along they are in the selection process.