2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

5 minutes ago, BobBobBob said:

Not sure if this helps, but as I'm anxiously waiting to hear from schools these days, I usually go to PSR to entertain myself.

Here is a link about the difference between a theorist and a pizza:

http://www.poliscirumors.com/topic/whats-the-difference-between-a-theorist-and-a-pizza-4

Here is another link on whether it is crass to order steak cooked beyond medium-rare:

http://www.poliscirumors.com/topic/why-is-it-considered-crass-to-order-steak-cooker-beyond-medium-rare

I realized that I haven't had quality sleep lately. So take care guys and stay positive. Hope a few goofs and gaffs help you through the day.

This is funny! Because I avoid it at all costs! Too toxic for my taste :D

Because I don't think that there are enough easily accessible resources to us aspiring Poli Sci PhDs, when this whole process is done, I want to post a PS PhD starters pack of sorts with links to useful resources that are already out there (such as NRC, US News and Oprisko et al rankings, the PhD stipends website ect.), as well as a significant amount of data I collected such as the required/recommended/average GRE and GPA for every school I could find it for, the maximum amount of MA credits the 40-some programs I looked into and anything else I may have lying around. I also want to include my methodology and perhaps other folks' on how to determine research fit and how to estimate placement rates. If there is any additional info that you wish you had easy access to before applying or anything you think could help those who come after us in general please shoot me a PM.

3 minutes ago, buckinghamubadger said:

Because I don't think that there are enough easily accessible resources to us aspiring Poli Sci PhDs, when this whole process is done, I want to post a PS PhD starters pack of sorts with links to useful resources that are already out there (such as NRC, US News and Oprisko et al rankings, the PhD stipends website ect.), as well as a significant amount of data I collected such as the required/recommended/average GRE and GPA for every school I could find it for, the maximum amount of MA credits the 40-some programs I looked into and anything else I may have lying around. I also want to include my methodology and perhaps other folks' on how to determine research fit and how to estimate placement rates. If there is any additional info that you wish you had easy access to before applying or anything you think could help those who come after us in general please shoot me a PM.

Are you applying in the current cycle or were you in the 2015 one?

@Qw23 also didn't get the email yesterday. If he hasn't got it yet then I am beginning to think there was some kind of long short list made by U-Minn. Otherwise, you might not have gotten it due to some server issues. The email was very generic and sent indirectly (through the ApplybyYourself portal).

23 minutes ago, Albert01 said:

Yeah, I checked and still nothing.

I also did not have one. However, when I contacted the graduate coordinator for some issues in December, she told me that decisions would be sent out in the week. So, at least, they already planned to make decisions in the week in December. Thus, I think we do not have to give so much meaning to the generic email. 

Edited by meteora

I'm curious if decisions will be sent out by Minnesota before the week of the 19th. The only reason I wonder about this is because a former POI at Wisconsin told me that it would take them a few weeks to make decisions. I found out 1.5 weeks after he told me that.

14 minutes ago, PoliSci-freak said:

Don't think too much about Wisconsin. From internal knowledge, I can tell you they always complete the admissions process before their semester starts (this year it started Jan 23, usually around this time). 

Ah, I didn't know that. 

3 minutes ago, JMCrawfordNJ said:

Haven't heard anything from Northwestern so I'm pretty much giving up hope on that. Thinking the rejection will come in a week or two like years prior. =/

Same on my part; since there is one IR admit on the results page I'm discarding the staggered subfield theory at this point

11 minutes ago, JMCrawfordNJ said:

Haven't heard anything from Northwestern so I'm pretty much giving up hope on that. Thinking the rejection will come in a week or two like years prior. =/

That is my thought, too. If I don't hear anything by the end of the day today, I will assume that I've been rejected.