2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

4 minutes ago, CambridgeHeismanLord said:

I did not. I was actually preparing to go to UCLA when the acceptance hit me.

Both are great programs! WIsh you are having a great time in Boston! Just admitted to Duke, so I guess I may sit in a similar boat again this time. 

Are any of you Duke-accepted people in Political Theory? Looking like my chances are pretty grim...but, could be that you're all in the other fields. 

1a/0w/1r - 11p

Also, not sure of the convention--I think what I just indicated was 1 admit, 0 waitlisted, 1 reject, 11 pending. Verify?

(First time poster. Glad this cite exists, and annoyed. I have wasted considerable time reading stuff/refreshing results page)

3 hours ago, WHC_2017 said:

I was just told by my POI from Berkeley that the admission results would be announced early next week. So, we might need to wait for a little bit. 

How were you in contact with a POI from Berkeley? Did you have an interview?

22 minutes ago, Applesandbananas said:

How were you in contact with a POI from Berkeley? Did you have an interview?

Nope, it was not an interview. He was introduced to me by my adviser and we had a Skype talk about my research last December. He also happens to sit on this year's Ad Committee. 

8 minutes ago, WHC_2017 said:

Nope, it was not an interview. He was introduced to me by my adviser and we had a Skype talk about my research last December. He also happens to sit on this year's Ad Committee. 

Okay, thank you for the insight. Congrats on Duke! I am also admitted there.

Is there any kind of record of when programs have historically done their visit weekends? Scheduling when you've only heard from a few programs is a nightmare. I wanna leave the weekends for my top two or three choices open in case I get accepted, but sometimes it's hard to figure out when those are.

3 hours ago, sbs2018 said:

Are any of you Duke-accepted people in Political Theory? Looking like my chances are pretty grim...but, could be that you're all in the other fields. 

1a/0w/1r - 11p

Also, not sure of the convention--I think what I just indicated was 1 admit, 0 waitlisted, 1 reject, 11 pending. Verify?

(First time poster. Glad this cite exists, and annoyed. I have wasted considerable time reading stuff/refreshing results page)

That is also my question. Based on Duke's results last year, it seems that they takes two days to send out admissions, then use the third and fourth day to sent out rejections and waitlists. 

I guess we will probably know something before the end of the week.

14 minutes ago, Lilliputien said:

That is also my question. Based on Duke's results last year, it seems that they takes two days to send out admissions, then use the third and fourth day to sent out rejections and waitlists. 

I guess we will probably know something before the end of the week.

Also applied to Duke and have yet to hear back. Do not let this dwindle your hopes for other schools because I spoke to professors on the admissions committee and last year their cohort was larger than expected, so this year they were going to accept fewer students. They probably want fit over anything.

Edited by possibleirphd

7 minutes ago, possibleirphd said:

Also applied to Duke and have yet to hear back. Do not let this dwindle your hopes for other schools because I spoke to professors on the admissions committee and last year their cohort was larger than expected, so this year they were going to accept fewer students. They probably want fit over anything.

Thanks--this is helpful. Still holding out some hope. And yes, even if I am rejected there, I still have 10 to hear from.

41 minutes ago, possibleirphd said:

Also applied to Duke and have yet to hear back. Do not let this dwindle your hopes though because I spoke to professors on the admissions committee and last year their cohort was larger than expected, so this year they were going to accept fewer students. They probably want fit over anything.

I heard this from the POI  "we will likely be accepting a small number of political theory students next year but that in part is contingent on the impact of the current tax bill on graduate education. "

And this is Duke's statistics https://gradschool.duke.edu/about/statistics/political-science-phd-admissions-and-enrollment-statistics 

Edited by Lilliputien

3 hours ago, Clytemnahstra said:

Yeah -- I applied to Toronto and McGill. I get the sense that both won't respond until the end of Feb if not early March. They both accepted apps until Jan. 15th

1 hour ago, arctic_ice said:

I applied to UBC and McGill.
No news from these schools.

Where are they on your list? I'm finding it difficult to compare them with American schools