2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

30 minutes ago, ComparativeStreak said:

To distract a little from the results crush - what are people's areas of research interest within their sub-field? I'm Middle Eastern Politics and Democratization

Comparative, working on sub-national governance and electoral policy in Latin America

Impact of migration and trade on political behavior; populism and political polarization; impact of leadership characteristics in authoritarian and transitioning democratic regimes.

I took the calculated risk to explain two fairly different research interests. This included making my SOP noticeably longer than the limit in most cases (Chicago with the 2500 word limit was helpful). It may have been a failed gamble. Princeton would have been great and was a good fit (certainly was in my top 3 in personal preference).

So with two shadow rejections, I'm at 0a/0w/2r/5p. I honestly thought I'd prefer to have decisions even if they were rejections, but these do sting, not going to lie. Not sure what I'll do if I don't get accepted anywhere. I'd probably consider changing life goals.

Are you supposed to / expected to reply to informal acceptance emails that appear to be sent in mass / are for informative purposes (eg expect a formal letter, this is accepted students day, etc)? My instinct is no but I would rather be sure and check with you guys.

11 minutes ago, Throwaway_polisci said:

I did to my acceptance but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I'm sure it won't be begrudged either way. If they don't care for a response they can ignore it.

Lol, I feel like I want to reply but what is there to say? Thanks!.. haha.

WashU will likely be announcing decisions soon. Their website says they plan to notify us by the first week in Feb and they've stuck pretty close to that historically. It would be a surprise if we did not know by next Friday. 

I'm eager to hear because this is one of my top three choices, if not my #1.

Also, I'm probably not going to go there, but I find it really surprising that we haven't heard anything from CU Boulder. Historically they almost always have their first decisions out by the end of January. Maybe they changed their process?

5 minutes ago, Archidamus said:

Has Princeton sent all the acceptance e-mails?

If I've received nothing by now, what are the odds?

Not too great, pal. But like they say in baseball, "as long as you got a jersey, you got a shot."

Disappointed not to have heard anything from Princeton. Obviously, it was my largest "reach," but I am anxious to get into a top-20 program. The first one (should it come) will be a huge relief. Placement is pretty good at my current offers (both around USNWR #30), but not nearly as strong as further up the ladder.

9 minutes ago, buckinghamubadger said:

Also, I'm probably not going to go there, but I find it really surprising that we haven't heard anything from CU Boulder. Historically they almost always have their first decisions out by the end of January. Maybe they changed their process?

For some reason only one person posted their acceptance last year to Boulder and that was February 9th. Even stranger to me is how they went from 7-8 post results each year to 1 last year.

Got an informal rejection email from UC Davis just now. American Politics subfield.

Bit surprised they are endeavouring to email the rejected applicants on the same date as acceptance. But still, good to know. The wait is the most agonising part indeed.