2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

10 minutes ago, CandyCanes said:

I got an offer of admission from Berkeley just now! Came from the Chair of the admissions committee. First acceptance! Was having a terrible day up until now since I didn't get an email from Princeton, but it just turned around pretty rapidly....

Can you tell us your subfield? I am also waiting for Berkeley. 

3 minutes ago, komina12345 said:

Rejection from Wisconsin, UC Davis, and no notification from Princeton or UC Berkeley

Good thing I live on the 10th floor

Same here. Rejection from Wisconsin, nothing from Duke, Northwestern, or Princeton.

Just keep waiting for UCSD and WashU.

Bad thing I live on the 2nd floor.

6 hours ago, ComparativeStreak said:

To distract a little from the results crush - what are people's areas of research interest within their sub-field? I'm Middle Eastern Politics and Democratization

Ethnic insurgency and civil war, though I have a lot of interest in general identity politics (ethnic parties and political bargaining, specifically) within the comparative subfield. 

6 hours ago, ComparativeStreak said:

To distract a little from the results crush - what are people's areas of research interest within their sub-field? I'm Middle Eastern Politics and Democratization

My subfield is IR (Asia). I want to study power asymmetry in China-Southeast Asia relations, in particular how Southeast Asian countries will engage in deferential diplomacy with Beijing in a future China-led regional order.

7 hours ago, ComparativeStreak said:

I'm interested in comparative political behavior (esp. contentious politics) and informal political-economic networks (i.e., corruption) in authoritarian polities.  I'm interested in Russia and the post-Soviet world, though my comparative interests extend to East Asia.

Edited by deutsch1997bw

7 hours ago, ComparativeStreak said:

Theory - philosophy of social science (epstemology and existentialism), theory of political representation (especially in undemorcatic or non-democratic context)
Methodology - collective action theory

My ultimate goal is to build a theoretical, analytic framework of politicla representation based on collective action theory

3 minutes ago, Asaid said:

I see folks from UChicago programs are doing pretty well this year. Maybe spread the word when someone's considering a Master?

How do you know, are the acceptances from princeton and berkeley from them?

2 hours ago, ComparativeStreak said:

I don't know if your joking about this or not but none of this is worth that much. I hope you are okay and PM me if you want to talk. 

I've worked hard for the past year and a half to prepare for this, and I have nothing else left in the tank. If this goes poorly, I will probably just go to the military or something and try to build a career off of that instead since it's obvious I've wasted time and effort with my education and work experience up to this point. 

Edited by komina12345

4 minutes ago, komina12345 said:

Partially. I've worked hard for the past year and a half to prepare for this, and I have nothing else left in the tank. If this goes to hell, I will probably just go to the military or something and try to build a career off of that instead since it's obvious I've wasted time and effort with my education and work experience up to this point.

Hey, you still have other schools to come; I would not try to sugarcoat since I am in a similar shoe and partially understand how you feel and the level of stress that you suffer but still, it is ok to think about what comes next after all the results come out. As we all know it is a highly idiosyncratic procedure; you never know what would happen.

4 minutes ago, Albert01 said:

Hey, you still have other schools to come; I would not try to sugarcoat since I am in a similar shoe and partially understand how you feel and the level of stress that you suffer but still, it is ok to think about what comes next after all the results come out. As we all know it is a highly idiosyncratic procedure; you never know what would happen.

I'm wishing the best for you. You most likely have the appropriate credentials deserving of a Ph.D. program unlike me.

23 minutes ago, komina12345 said:

I'm wishing the best for you. You most likely have the appropriate credentials deserving of a Ph.D. program unlike me.

Let's see what happen til this cycle is over. I think it is not too late to get frustrated and depreciate yourself by then.

3 minutes ago, komina12345 said:

Unfortunately, that's what I've come to expect at this stage.

So far for me, it's been rejections from Berkeley, Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Davis.

Rejections from Northwestern, Princeton, and Berkeley in the same week almost destroy me.