2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

13 hours ago, buckinghamubadger said:

Is anyone else expecting the next two and a half weeks to be crazy? I am expecting to hear from seven of the eight program in which I have outstanding decisions in that time frame (including a Princeton reject)

I have a feeling the final two weeks of Feb will be the craziest for me, but then again UChicago should be sending results any minute now and they're my top choice...

7 minutes ago, politicalScience said:

For those who applied to Columbia: I briefly spoke with a Professor there and was told that they plan to release decisions towards the end of February. If true, that would be later than previous years.

So is that confirmation that the results posted so far aren’t real?

10 hours ago, skhann said:

Got any data on how many of those were selected?

I went to Chicago MAPSS, which greatly improved my scholar knowledge and competitiveness. I think I can post better data from our program director later when results are mostly coming out. 

10 hours ago, skhann said:

Good to know that you had a great experience there. From what I've read about CIR or MAPSS etc, there is the element of name recognition and the possibility of getting LOR from experts etc. I can understand that you do not want to blame it on Chicago and that might as well be the case. Still, for prospective PhDs that's somewhat of a warning sign. No?

I feel like the lone voice for Chicago's MAPH on this thread -- essentially it's the same as MAPSS, or it can be, depending on the classes that you take. (Everyone always thought I was MAPSS because I don't think there was a single MAPHer in any of the courses—outside first quarter core—that I took.) So MAPH is another great one to look into, especially if you veer towards the interdisciplinary side of things. 

2 hours ago, WHC_2017 said:

I went to Chicago MAPSS, which greatly improved my scholar knowledge and competitiveness. I think I can post better data from our program director later when results are mostly coming out. 

Sure will wait for that.

42 minutes ago, ArcierePrudente said:

I feel like the lone voice for Chicago's MAPH on this thread -- essentially it's the same as MAPSS, or it can be, depending on the classes that you take. (Everyone always thought I was MAPSS because I don't think there was a single MAPHer in any of the courses—outside first quarter core—that I took.) So MAPH is another great one to look into, especially if you veer towards the interdisciplinary side of things. 

Thanks for the heads up.

5 hours ago, Clytemnahstra said:

I have a feeling the final two weeks of Feb will be the craziest for me, but then again UChicago should be sending results any minute now and they're my top choice...

My friend in South Korea has told me she just got into UChicago's PhD program so take that for what it's worth

Edited by komina12345

14 minutes ago, komina12345 said:

My friend in South Korea has told me she just got into UChicago's PhD program so take that for what it's worth

Are there any other applicants in this from waiting for Chicago that did not hear anything, or should I also cross off chicago from my list?

16 minutes ago, cpmethods said:

Are there any other applicants in this from waiting for Chicago that did not hear anything, or should I also cross off chicago from my list?

I haven’t received anything from Chicago neither. I don’t know what to expect now. It’s the fourth schools that I haven’t heard anything from but others have been receiving acceptances. 

37 minutes ago, Qw23 said:

I haven’t received anything from Chicago neither. I don’t know what to expect now. It’s the fourth schools that I haven’t heard anything from but others have been receiving acceptances. 

Same I just want to hear from somebody. I bet it would be better than this limbo, between knowing you probably got rejected  and holding onto a sliver of Hope and waiting for closure.