2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

On 1/29/2018 at 4:36 PM, poliscibi said:

Hey all! Long time lurker-made-participant here. 

Here to claim the following: 

UGA admit (misspelled)

GWU interview

Madison rejection

1a/0w/1r/9p

Cheers!

On 1/29/2018 at 11:36 PM, buckinghamubadger said:

I actually think there might be a technical issue with the admissions page. I've tried to post my UC Irvine admit on both my phone and laptop and the image thingy doesn't show up. Still seems like a quiet Monday though. I have an interview later today, but not a whole lot else.

Slow news day.

I haven't heard back from Georgia or UCI. I suppose I should also assume rejection as well?

17 minutes ago, komina12345 said:

I haven't heard back from Georgia or UCI. I suppose I should also assume rejection as well?

I noticed on another thread that you went to Chicago CIR. If you don't mind my asking, would you recommend others for the same? Especially now? Is it better to just apply in another PhD cycle instead?

12 minutes ago, skhann said:

I noticed on another thread that you went to Chicago CIR. If you don't mind my asking, would you recommend others for the same? Especially now? Is it better to just apply in another PhD cycle instead?

Chicago CIR was incredibly great for me, and I got to receive advice from Professor Cumings. I met some of my best friends there (albeit that was because the Japanese government sent a lot of their workers there for the Booth School so I was able to get along with them fairly easily due to my own cultural similarities) and the education I received was definitely top notch. If there is any reason for my failings so far in this Ph.D. cycle, it comes from my own personal deficiencies and not from Chicago. Regardless of whether or not you're going to pursue a Ph.D., I think having a MA from Chicago is always great for job prospects and whatnot. 

Edited by komina12345

27 minutes ago, komina12345 said:

I have a Georgia admit and was under the impression that they have a staggered admit process (my email came a week after the first acceptance was posted here, for example), so I would think there's still a chance, but can't say definitively.

3 minutes ago, RodneyTrotter said:

I have a Georgia admit and was under the impression that they have a staggered admit process (my email came a week after the first acceptance was posted here, for example), so I would think there's still a chance, but can't say definitively.

Time to add another rejection to the list. Bad week gets worse lol

31 minutes ago, komina12345 said:

I am thus far the only person I know of who got into UCI. I had personal experience with the department before I applied. I would not assume rejection at this point at all.

6 minutes ago, buckinghamubadger said:

I am thus far the only person I know of who got into UCI. I had personal experience with the department before I applied. I would not assume rejection at this point at all.

That is somewhat reassuring to hear. I'm just under so much stress at this point. I can only hope USC does the same for me (albeit I don't know if I can handle another 4 years of football after the sadness I saw during undergrad).

9 minutes ago, komina12345 said:

Chicago CIR was incredibly great for me, and I got to receive advice from Professor Cumings. I met some of my best friends there (albeit that was because the Japanese government sent a lot of their workers there for the Booth School so I was able to get along with them fairly easily due to my own cultural similarities) and the education I received was definitely top notch. If there is any reason for my failings so far in this Ph.D. cycle, it comes from my own personal deficiencies and not from Chicago. Regardless of whether or not you're going to pursue a Ph.D., I think having a MA from Chicago is always great for job prospects and whatnot. 

Good to know that you had a great experience there. From what I've read about CIR or MAPSS etc, there is the element of name recognition and the possibility of getting LOR from experts etc. I can understand that you do not want to blame it on Chicago and that might as well be the case. Still, for prospective PhDs that's somewhat of a warning sign. No?

2 minutes ago, skhann said:

Good to know that you had a great experience there. From what I've read about CIR or MAPSS etc, there is the element of name recognition and the possibility of getting LOR from experts etc. I can understand that you do not want to blame it on Chicago and that might as well be the case. Still, for prospective PhDs that's somewhat of a warning sign. No?

I wouldn't particularly say that because my area of focus was on Korea and Japan and the schools I have so far been rejected from did not have exact matches in the area or were top-tier competition (i.e. Cal and Northwestern). It's really what you make of your time at CIR. I went in not sure whether or not I wanted to do a Ph.D. or law school, so I hesitated on that. Many of my other friends have been able to get into stellar schools from CIR with full-funding such as OSU. It just so happens that a majority of the people who do apply to CIR in my year chose to pursue the professional field. I believe the year after me was actually a flip around where a majority were Ph.D. prospects. 

There are countless opportunities such as PIPS (I think that's how it was spelled) and critiques of your thesis to make sure your work gets properly written, and the network there is always strong. Albeit, some professors are quite busy especially the older or more notable ones (such as Professor Mearsheimer or Cumings), but they will make the time of the day for you.  

4 minutes ago, buckinghamubadger said:

@komina12345 also given that Emory, UW ect. have begun to send out rejections but you have not gotten one may be a sign that you are still under consideration, but not yet an 'admit'

I would be concerned if I got a rejection from Emory or UW because I didn't apply there haha

But in all seriousness, I get what you're saying. Thank you for the reassurance. The combination of a long day of work and receiving a rejection e-mail doesn't go too well together.

7 minutes ago, komina12345 said:

I wouldn't particularly say that because my area of focus was on Korea and Japan and the schools I have so far been rejected from did not have exact matches in the area or were top-tier competition (i.e. Cal and Northwestern). It's really what you make of your time at CIR. I went in not sure whether or not I wanted to do a Ph.D. or law school, so I hesitated on that. Many of my other friends have been able to get into stellar schools from CIR with full-funding such as OSU. It just so happens that a majority of the people who do apply to CIR in my year chose to pursue the professional field. I believe the year after me was actually a flip around where a majority were Ph.D. prospects. 

There are countless opportunities such as PIPS (I think that's how it was spelled) and critiques of your thesis to make sure your work gets properly written, and the network there is always strong. Albeit, some professors are quite busy especially the older or more notable ones (such as Professor Mearsheimer or Cumings), but they will make the time of the day for you.  

Thanks. Looks like a good fall-back option in case one gets funding etc.

Subfield theory and feel sick that I haven't gotten anything from Berkeley. Looking at the survey results it looks like it's about 99% certain it's a reject if it doesn't come on the 1st -- is that correct?

I know they only accept like three students for theory and my Berkeley application was probably the weakest but god this whole process is insanely nerve-wracking...

1 hour ago, komina12345 said:

I went to Chicago MAPSS. I absolutely agree with everything you said--the program is amazing and incredibly helpful for me. 

1 hour ago, skhann said:

I went to MAPSS and has had the best ever intellectual/mentorship experience with my thesis adviser (Robert Gulotty). Though I mostly produced a good thesis (accepted to many national conferences) through my own effort, his guidance is certainly what makes everything possible.

12 minutes ago, WHC_2017 said:

I went to MAPSS and has had the best ever intellectual/mentorship experience with my thesis adviser (Robert Gulotty). Though I mostly produced a good thesis (accepted to many national conferences) through my own effort, his guidance is certainly what makes everything possible.

Cool. Thanks for the input.

1 hour ago, tippetta said:

Why do schools stagger acceptances and rejections by a few days? 

I wonder the same. I think I'm waiting for a rejection from Princeton, and viewing the acceptances on the results page happens almost in slow motion. I wish they released them without such a lag...

4 hours ago, tippetta said:

Why do schools stagger acceptances and rejections by a few days? 

I think there could be a few reasons for staggered acceptances, but, in the short term (when some decisions are released over several days), it's probably because different committees (i.e. the theory committee or IR committee) finish deliberating sooner than others. 

Edited by bikakica