2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

7 minutes ago, JMCrawfordNJ said:

Take this for what you will but UCLA just finally attached my GRE scores to my online file. Only took 2 months haha. I guess they are making progress. We'll get results by August.

They attached my GRE score and I am missing the GMAT score now lol

3 minutes ago, cpmethods said:

Not that I know of, did you? and if you did could you share some detail?

About an hour ago I got an email from Duke notifying me a decision has been made on my application. But I couldn't log onto my account and the IT service told me my account is locked. Now I'm stuck ugh.

Is everyone sure Northwestern won't be staggering it's acceptances throughout the week?

If not, then I will join the crowd in assuming a rejection. If I were to do it again I probably would have just not applied. Like I mentioned, it wasn't the best fit (I have two substantive areas of research interest and one of them was not well represented at all). 

That said, I'm a little worried because that was easily the lowest ranked school I applied. So that doesn't bode too well now that we're a couple weeks out from the big schools.

15 minutes ago, not@prof_yet said:

Is everyone sure Northwestern won't be staggering it's acceptances throughout the week?

If not, then I will join the crowd in assuming a rejection. If I were to do it again I probably would have just not applied. Like I mentioned, it wasn't the best fit (I have two substantive areas of research interest and one of them was not well represented at all). 

That said, I'm a little worried because that was easily the lowest ranked school I applied. So that doesn't bode too well now that we're a couple weeks out from the big schools.

I think that fit is the most important factor when it comes to where you get admitted/rejected. If you are saying you recognized that you weren't the best fit, I'm sure they saw that as well and that led their decision more than anything else (if they even did choose to reject you, which I think shouldn't be assumed when it's still January). So I wouldn't sweat it.

Edited by toad1

17 minutes ago, BobBobBob said:

About an hour ago I got an email from Duke notifying me a decision has been made on my application. But I couldn't log onto my account and the IT service told me my account is locked. Now I'm stuck ugh.

Very strange..... keep us updated. Good luck to all who may be hearing back from Duke soon!

49 minutes ago, izmir said:

Joining everyone else here. Haven’t heard anything from Northwestern yet. Kinda surprised because I thought I was a good fit but like always you can’t predict results. They are IDIOSYNCRATIC ?

Feeling the same way. The fit seemed good, but ultimately they only have so many spots!

Hey all, (another) long-time lurker and constant page-refresher. I am dying to hear from Berkeley, and it looks like from past results that they send out news the last week of January/first week of February. Anyone hear anything yet? 

53 minutes ago, BobBobBob said:

Just saw someone posted acceptance from Duke on the results page

Hey everyone! Has Penn State sent out all their acceptances? I see from the results page that six people were accepted last week. That it?

Also, anyone else apply to Vanderbilt?

I honestly read more into the emails I receive from grad admissions departments than I ever have into any romantic relationship.

With that said, about a week ago, one of my programs sent me an email notifying me of a foreign language fellowship whose applications were due 1-2 weeks after the department's historical 'unofficial' notification dates. It did sound generic, and the email was careful to specify that the fellowship program office didn't have any information on the status of anyone's PhD application.

Part of me feels like it would be silly to send out a mass email and potentially receive a flood of irrelevant fellowship applications (from non-admits). But most of me is too wary of getting my hopes up and wants to write it off as a generic email blast that will weed out non-admits retroactively. 

21 minutes ago, ArcierePrudente said:

I honestly read more into the emails I receive from grad admissions departments than I ever have into any romantic relationship.

I like this. 

33 minutes ago, ComparativeStreak said:

Anyone claiming the Duke acceptances?

Yep! 2nd time on the merry-go-round, pleased to be getting some positive news. 

2 minutes ago, CandyCanes said:

Was it an email or did you just login to the portal?

A generic email asking to log into a portal other than the applicant one. Had to call an IT person to get access! 

47 minutes ago, Kewen89 said:

Hey everyone! Has Penn State sent out all their acceptances? I see from the results page that six people were accepted last week. That it?

Also, anyone else apply to Vanderbilt?

I would assume they did...based on the results of previous years, they announce acceptance on the same day. I’m expecting a rejection letter from them in my mailbox at this point.

And I also applied to Vanderbilt. They sent out a letter earlier this month saying interviews will be scheduled first or second week of February. If not heard from then, it means you didn’t make the short list. Hope I get the interview!

5 minutes ago, Qw23 said:

I would assume they did...based on the results of previous years, they announce acceptance on the same day. I’m expecting a rejection letter from them in my mailbox at this point.

And I also applied to Vanderbilt. They sent out a letter earlier this month saying interviews will be scheduled first or second week of February. If not heard from then, it means you didn’t make the short list. Hope I get the interview!

I got the Vanderbilt email as well. Fingers crossed!

11 minutes ago, Qw23 said:

Their deadline was Jan. 15. Did you get that email before that or afterwards?