2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

8 minutes ago, toad1 said:

Just wondering, did you have POI that you contacted and opened a dialogue with prior to the submission of applications? Or is it someone you simply named in your application and are hearing from first time?

I only ask because it was my experience that most universities did not encourage reaching out to faculty prior to getting admitted to the programs. Just wondering what other people's approach with this was.

So UCI was something of a unique situation for me since my MA program has a close relationship with them (EG they hire their PhDs and more than a few past MAs have gotten their PhD from there). So I had participated in two conferences put on by the department, where I got to know a couple of profs and grad students. I emailed a couple of people who had been discussants on my papers to give them a heads up that I was applying, one was a POI that I named in my SOP. This was not the POI who contacted me though. 

At no other program did I email POIs, though I did contact the DGS in a couple of programs that sent me recruitment emails (Missouri and Brandeis) and I had a conversation with the grad advisor  (an administrator not a prof) at Washington when I was in Seattle for a conference this past spring. 

So this was the only program where I had direct contacted a POI directly, but they knew me before hand. 

Sorry for the long answer

Small request, but I think something we should be aware of for the coming weeks is be more clear about "Washington", as I've seen people (including myself) using it to describe both University of Washington and Washington University in St. Louis.

Congrats to everyone with an official admit at this point!

22 minutes ago, CandyCanes said:

Does anyone know whether it's more likely for Northwestern to release decisions at the beginning of the week or at the end of the week (assuming they release decisions at all this week)?

Not sure if this helps at all but I heard Northwestern has already come up with their final short list of candidates (not sure when).

4 hours ago, buckinghamubadger said:

Okay so next week here is what to expect:

in the likely for SOME decisions to come come next week column I have:

Texas

Northwestern

Colorado

Washington

Arizona State

UCI

UCSD

Pitt

The Bulk of Stony Brook

And possibly more from Rice, Ohio State and Penn State, Arizona

In the wouldn't be surprising, but not exceedingly likely column:

WashU

Princeton

Michigan

Harvard

UChicago

Notre Dame

Again, this could be a HUGE week

I'd say that Chicago is exceedingly likely, given past years' results... and Harvard is quite unlikely. They tend to release toward the end of February. 

Hello guys. Here they come. But they, I am sure, will join us in saying, as we bid farewell to the dust of these applications, that wheresoever throughout the academic world the accounts of our admission are read, and down to the latest period of recorded time, in the glorious annals of our common country.

24 minutes ago, not@prof_yet said:

Still haven't heard anything from anyone yet (0a/0w/0r/7p). To people that have received results: did you hear them via email or did you ever find out by checking an application submission page?

Email alerts seem to take a bit longer to come out than website results, often delayed by a couple hours. All four results I've gotten so far have been emailed eventually though.

29 minutes ago, not@prof_yet said:

Still haven't heard anything from anyone yet (0a/0w/0r/7p). To people that have received results: did you hear them via email or did you ever find out by checking an application submission page?

I've only received interview requests so far, no official acceptance or rejections, and they notified me through email. Both of them came last Monday afternoon.

Edited by Hamb

33 minutes ago, not@prof_yet said:

I found out my email - my 2 acceptances still haven't been updated on the websites yet.  My 1 rejection was at about the same time as the email.

I just received an email from Duke saying that they are at the stage of making decisions so they wanted me to quickly reply and send one my transcripts also in original language (i am international student), should I interpret this as a good sign?

And for Duke applicants, I think we will start hearing something soon then!

4 minutes ago, skhann said:

What's the ratio of interview requests translating into actual admissions? I initially thought it was almost a surefire indicator of getting admitted. Now some people have been interviewed and rejected on this forum.

I'd strongly advise against thinking that an interview means you've been accepted. I thought that that because the admissions committee at Wisconsin interviewed me, I was surely going to get in. I did not.

17 minutes ago, cpmethods said:

I just received an email from Duke saying that they are at the stage of making decisions so they wanted me to quickly reply and send one my transcripts also in original language (i am international student), should I interpret this as a good sign?

By far, I, also an international do not get any email from duke, which makes me nervous...

19 minutes ago, cpmethods said:

Your transcript wasn't attached to your application?