2017-2018 Application Cycle

IR44

4 minutes ago, ComparativeStreak said:

I'm hoping the latter and wishing you the best of luck! 

I want to hope the latter too but there is one IR admit on the results page and it is not like Friday when there were only Theory admits. Let's wait and see... 

3 minutes ago, izmir said:

I want to hope the latter too but there is one IR admit on the results page and it is not like Friday when there were only Theory admits. Let's wait and see... 

Does anyone know how many applicants Northwestern usually admits?

Northwestern says in its FAQ, "When or how can I expect to hear of an admission decision?" as follow:

"Usually by mid-February, and we do not send all decisions at the same time.  The decision on your application will be communicated to you through the online application portal. Once a decision has been reached a new ‘View Decision’ link will appear. If there is not yet a decision, there will be no link.  You must log into the online application portal to view your decision, you will not receive a message.  You will only receive a letter if you are admitted."

So it seems that the school tends to send out its decisions sporadically rather than at one-go.

11 minutes ago, Albert01 said:

Northwestern says in its FAQ, "When or how can I expect to hear of an admission decision?" as follow:

"Usually by mid-February, and we do not send all decisions at the same time.  The decision on your application will be communicated to you through the online application portal. Once a decision has been reached a new ‘View Decision’ link will appear. If there is not yet a decision, there will be no link.  You must log into the online application portal to view your decision, you will not receive a message.  You will only receive a letter if you are admitted."

So it seems that the school tends to send out its decisions sporadically rather than at one-go.

Thank you for sharing this. This makes me feel better.

5 minutes ago, Hamb said:

Ah! The Northwestern acceptances are making me anxious (congrats though!). If I'm rejected, I just want to get it over with, but at the same time I don't want to give up hope until more acceptances come through!

Same here! I must admit I feel pretty anxious knowing that NU only admits, on average, ~9% of applicants. Not that this is really any different from other places I've applied to, but I guess I've not looked into these data elsewhere.

18 minutes ago, deutsch1997bw said:

Same here! I must admit I feel pretty anxious knowing that NU only admits, on average, ~9% of applicants. Not that this is really any different from other places I've applied to, but I guess I've not looked into these data elsewhere.

Honestly, this kind of worries me across the board, since there are so many talented and capable applicants. I really wish that I had applied to ten schools. I've come to think that the key is probably to apply to a lot of places you would be happy attending and then just hope that something comes through. I doubt we can count on any given school coming through, no matter how good of an application we might have put together (and mine at least is certainly far from perfect).

5 minutes ago, bigdummy said:

Honestly, this kind of worries me across the board, since there are so many talented and capable applicants. I really wish that I had applied to ten schools. I've come to think that the key is probably to apply to a lot of places you would be happy attending and then just hope that something comes through. I doubt we can count on any given school coming through, no matter how good of an application we might have put together (and mine at least is certainly far from perfect).

Just one acceptance. That is all we need. I only applied to programs that I would be genuinely happy to attend, and I really hope that something works out.

1 hour ago, ComparativeStreak said:

I'm hoping the latter and wishing you the best of luck! 

First of all Congrats! And secondly, would you mind sharing a bit more info on your profile? I was wondering if you would label yourselve as having a qualitative or quantitative method orientation? 

Edited by cpmethods

Well, I'm going to give it through tomorrow to hope that an acceptance at Northwestern comes through, but looking at past years they might be done. Given the rate of admits posted to the results board, 6 were posted last year, 7 the year before, and 6 the year before. We're already at 5 (+1 in this thread), so I'm thinking it's not looking great.

Who knows though, there's always variance!

1 hour ago, cpmethods said:

First of all Congrats! And secondly, would you mind sharing a bit more info on your profile? I was wondering if you would label yourselve as having a qualitative or quantitative method orientation? 

I am definitely in the more mixed methods camp! Happy to answer any questions you may have via PM! 

1 hour ago, buckinghamubadger said:

Notre Dame decisions should be out in two weeks, according to my interviewer. 

I know that it seems to be a popular program on here so I just wanted to share.

Thanks for the info! I did not get an email for an interview, should I assume possible rejection or do they not interview all of their potential acceptances?

Hi all. I can report that I was placed on the "short wait list" for Rice. The DGS told me that they are admitting a total of 6 people this year. I will let everyone on this forum who are applying to Rice, are hoping to go there, or are also on the wait list know that I will likely turn it down this week as I have already had a good offer at another university. If you have any questions about the interview or Rice, I can try to help with what little I do know.

Best!

Edited by Midwest_PoliNERD

6 minutes ago, possibleirphd said:

Thanks for the info! I did not get an email for an interview, should I assume possible rejection or do they not interview all of their potential acceptances?

I don't think they're interviewing all of them. I think they just wanted to know more about my research interests and how I would fit in the department. Professors on this forum have said not to put too much stock into interviews. So you most likely still have a shot. Best of luck!