Is it really necessary... (results page)

breakfast

Is it really necessary to leave bitter and childish remarks on the results page when you find out you've been rejected?

I seriously want to know why people do this. Are these people who believe they are such hot shots that they deserve admission to every top program? You're going to get rejects, so deal with it like an adult,

Edited by RyanF

Is it really necessary to leave bitter and childish remarks on the results page when you find out you've been rejected?

I seriously want to know why people do this. Are these people who believe they are such hot shots that they deserve admission to every top program? You're going to get rejects, so deal with it like an adult,

But, but, but... My GRE scores are awesome! And I'm smarter than half of their tenured professors! :rolleyes:

I blame the Results Page Drinking Game. When I get rejected, I will be sorely tempted to put "You're missing out on a great dissertation". We don't even write dissertations in my program, but everyone playing along will have to drink twice.

haha, this topic is great. I love the way this page has turned out to be the place where we end up expressing all our frustrations and anxiety feelings (in order to keep them away from our families, friends, SOs, etc).

I have a friend who is not even interested in grad school, but reads the results page with me, just to see the rejection notes. I guess one of my favourites was: "yea, you suck too"

haha, this topic is great. I love the way this page has turned out to be the place where we end up expressing all our frustrations and anxiety feelings (in order to keep them away from our families, friends, SOs, etc).

I have a friend who is not even interested in grad school, but reads the results page with me, just to see the rejection notes. I guess one of my favourites was: "yea, you suck too"

Haha, the "yea, you suck too" was one of the comments that inspired me to start this thread. Berkeley history reject, right?

I like the bitter and childish remarks - good for a laugh, and a lot more fun to look at then page upon page of "accepted" or "rejected." Adds a little life and humanity. Sometimes I actually cruise the results page just to read those notes.

And all those "your school sucks anyway" remarks - that's called sour grapes. Of course they wanted to get in. They applied, paid the application fee, waited for months, got the rejection, and posted it online, and bitched and moaned in the comments box. C'mon, let em have a moment of anonymous self pity.

If you don't want to read them, then ... don't.

Some of the negative ones annoy me while I find others perfectly understandable. I think it's just the tone being disappointment vs bitterness and entitlement.

This is my favorite result today:

Ball State University Proctology, PhD (F10) Accepted via E-mail on 11 Feb 2010 A 11 Feb 2010 Yay! Bottoms up!

Some of the negative ones annoy me while I find others perfectly understandable. I think it's just the tone being disappointment vs bitterness and entitlement.

This is my favorite result today:

Ball State University Proctology, PhD (F10) Accepted via E-mail on 11 Feb 2010 A 11 Feb 2010 Yay! Bottoms up!

Saw that today and got a good chuckle!

The most funniest/scariest/disturbing one was the rant against Duke. It was pretty graphic. I chuckled, then I grimaced, then I chuckled again, feeling disturbed the whole time.

Also, it's quite annoying when people put up bogus results. There's people panicking here desperately looking for their schools and some person decided it's funny to write down that they received phone calls 2 weeks after the deadline. I mean, really?!

Because it's funny and entertaining?

I wanna meet some of these Ball State applicants:

Ball State University

Proctology, PhD (F10)

Rejected via E-mail on 11 Feb 2010

I felt like I was such a good fit :-( I am as tall as I am wide!

Edited by grad_wannabe

The bitter comments are the best part! I think they add a touch of reality to the whole affair. We're all trying to be mature grad students, but who doesn't think "well fine, I didn't like you anyway." when you read that rejection letter?

Also, it's quite annoying when people put up bogus results. There's people panicking here desperately looking for their schools and some person decided it's funny to write down that they received phone calls 2 weeks after the deadline. I mean, really?!

Wait! Does this really happen? I freaked out when I saw someone already got a phone call from one of the programs I applied to, and it's just a professional masters program, not the sort of thing where you'd expect a phone call. Were they just messing with us???

I heard back from a school 8 days after the deadline, and I'm still waiting for all the other schools that were due a month before. It's hard to know if its bogus or not. My friends and I are in debate about the validity of the Berkeley Physics post:

University Of California, Berkeley (UCB)Physics, PhD (F10) Accepted via E-mail on 8 Feb 2010 A 10 Feb 2010 large female genital disability

I think it's bogus. My friend initially thought it was a rejection (as if Berkeley physics has a problem with girls), but was completely baffeled once they realized it said accepted. Furthermore, they're American. We got a good laugh despite the fact that none of us can make heads or tails of it.

I also like this one for Berkeley:

Whatever, your state is broke anyway.

But we're gonna get high speed rail if it kills us.

i know for certain that there are people giving misleading information on the written forums, at any rate. I don't know about the results search.

Over on the visual arts board, one person claimed to have gotten into School X last year and "for some reason, just didn't go - I'm reapplying this year!" I personally spoke with the director of that program last month - he told me that for the last 8 years, their department has had a 100% offer-of-admission retention rate: NO ONE has turned down an offer of admission. This school's funding track is renowned for its generosity (it's essentially free), so I believe him.