Fall 2018 Statistics Applicant Thread

1 hour ago, Zaphod2020 said:

Is anyone else still waiting for a reply from U. Michigan's statistics PhD program? I've seen several folks in this thread waiting for the M.S., but no one has mentioned the PhD program lately.

Hey. I am still waiting to hear from the PhD program. I think they roll out the results in batches so hopefully their result should be out soon

3 hours ago, Zaphod2020 said:

Is anyone else still waiting for a reply from U. Michigan's statistics PhD program? I've seen several folks in this thread waiting for the M.S., but no one has mentioned the PhD program lately.

I have really no idea what is going on with UMich...I just got an interview with the statistics department. I asked whether I am on the waitlist but the professor told me they are still interviewing applicants before sending out offers and setting up a waitlist. The interview just lasts less than 10 minutes...Really didn't anticipate that...

1 hour ago, phdhopeful1995 said:

I emailed stat-grad-coordinator@umich.edu. I told them that I had to reply to other school that accepted me very soon.

How long did it take for them to reply your email? I've done the same thing.

I heard that Umich has waves of offers in the order of desirability. As soon as other people decline Umich offers, they will send out a new wave of acceptance. This happens, when Stanford & Berkeley release their admissions or when people decide to go to others schools. Don't lose hope. I believe I am waitlisted(?) as well. I hope we all can get in.

32 minutes ago, ileeminati said:

I heard that Umich has waves of offers in the order of desirability. As soon as other people decline Umich offers, they will send out a new wave of acceptance. This happens, when Stanford & Berkeley release their admissions or when people decide to go to others schools. Don't lose hope. I believe I am waitlisted(?) as well. I hope we all can get in.

So if you aren't rejected you're in another wave of possible admission? 

58 minutes ago, ileeminati said:

Did you asked them about the waitlist or just assuming?

I am a current student at UMich. @NumStatsI haven't emailed them, but I have asked around (unofficially). @jswizzle48 Possibly (until they get enough people who accept their offers). I have been told to be patient and a new wave of offers should come soon. My guess is next week before our spring break.

Edited by ileeminati

8 hours ago, phdhopeful1995 said:

Does a publication from a CS conference help much with admission to Stats program? One of my papers recently got accepted to a top conference in Natural Language Processing. I am thinking about letting the committee know about the update but I am not sure whether it will have any weight.

That would be a big deal. Definitely do that.

21 hours ago, phdhopeful1995 said:

I emailed stat-grad-coordinator@umich.edu. I told them that I had to reply to other school that accepted me very soon.

Hey. Did you get a similar reply to this one ?

The admission committee is still evaluating applicants to the program. We had a record number of applicants to the program this year with very qualified backgrounds. Currently you are on the waitlist. The admission committee will have final decisions by April 15 (hopefully sooner).

Best,

If so, I think when he says waitlist..it's waitlist to get reviewed and not waitlist to get offer. What is your opinion ? 

2 hours ago, BStat said:

Hey. Did you get a similar reply to this one ?

The admission committee is still evaluating applicants to the program. We had a record number of applicants to the program this year with very qualified backgrounds. Currently you are on the waitlist. The admission committee will have final decisions by April 15 (hopefully sooner).

Best,

If so, I think when he says waitlist..it's waitlist to get reviewed and not waitlist to get offer. What is your opinion ? 

Yes I just got a similar email. I think they did the first round separation (definitely accept, definitely reject, and undecided). Maybe we fall under the third category. So it might be the case that they are still deciding on how to separate these undecided people.

1 hour ago, NumStats said:

Yes I just got a similar email. I think they did the first round separation (definitely accept, definitely reject, and undecided). Maybe we fall under the third category. So it might be the case that they are still deciding on how to separate these undecided people.

I got a similar response as well! Seems like we just have to wait it out :huh: