Fall 2018 Statistics Applicant Thread

1 hour ago, ipsumlorem said:

wow got admitted into Stanford's MS program.

I'm happy beyond words

OMGGGG CONGRATULATIONS MAN!!!

By the way, it seems that they are sending out early acceptance this year!

P.s. Also for Michigan, one person got an offer this past Monday but he was the only one, and then myself and the rest received our offers on Wednesday.

47 minutes ago, kelsia said:

OMGGGG CONGRATULATIONS MAN!!!

By the way, it seems that they are sending out early acceptance this year!

P.s. Also for Michigan, one person got an offer this past Monday but he was the only one, and then myself and the rest received our offers on Wednesday.

Thank you so much :)

41 minutes ago, jianzixianji9 said:

I got a email from a professor of UC Davis. She said she thinks I'm promising and wants to arrange a Skype 'chat' with me. She uses the exact word-- chat. Is this actually an interview? What should I prepare for it. Really need some thoughts. Thx a lot. 

Are you stat or biostat?

11 hours ago, jianzixianji9 said:

I got a email from a professor of UC Davis. She said she thinks I'm promising and wants to arrange a Skype 'chat' with me. She uses the exact word-- chat. Is this actually an interview? What should I prepare for it. Really need some thoughts. Thx a lot. 

I think you should prepare for an interview before the 'chat'. However, 'chat' can also means you are already accepted and the professor just want to talk with you about his or her researches to help you make decisions.

18 minutes ago, Bayesian1701 said:

@BStat Following back up on UT Austin there are 8 people here.  So probably only a few offers left if any.  Historical yield rates are 40-45% and there could be people admitted but not attending.  

I applied to Austin but never heard back. Actually, there are no rejections in the survey either. If I understand correctly, you mean that our only hope is to get a second-wave slot when some of those who already have an offer pick another school? Is that true for most schools, too? I'm still waiting to hear from a good couple.

14 hours ago, jianzixianji9 said:

Somebody in the Survey just got accepted by UC Davis. Congrats, looks like you're going to have a happy convo with the professor :)

2 hours ago, BayesianLove said:

I applied to Austin but never heard back. Actually, there are no rejections in the survey either. If I understand correctly, you mean that our only hope is to get a second-wave slot when some of those who already have an offer pick another school? Is that true for most schools, too? I'm still waiting to hear from a good couple.

So, I emailed most of the school that haven't given me decisions. Most of them basically said that I was not given the first wave offer, but under consideration for the next waves if there's any. Well, this is pretty sad. I am not expecting too much at this rate. I am preparing for the worst case of getting 0 offer.

Note: Good luck for everyone else!

18 minutes ago, NumStats said:

So, I emailed most of the school that haven't given me decisions. Most of them basically said that I was not given the first wave offer, but under consideration for the next waves if there's any. Well, this is pretty sad. I am not expecting too much at this rate. I am preparing for the worst case of getting 0 offer.

Note: Good luck for everyone else!

Wow sorry to hear that. I wouldn't give up just yet though... "Life is like a box of chocolates you never know what your going to get" -Forest Gump's mom. Plus if you don't get in anywhere with all of those degrees what hope did the rest of us have.

57 minutes ago, DJ3Sigma said:

Wow sorry to hear that. I wouldn't give up just yet though... "Life is like a box of chocolates you never know what your going to get" -Forest Gump's mom. Plus if you don't get in anywhere with all of those degrees what hope did the rest of us have.

Thanks for the motivation! I'm not giving up yet, but I think I need to start exploring alternative options and prepare for the worst. In fact, I think thy my multiple majors is a hindrance due to lack of focus and also cost my GPA.

Anyways, best of luck for you!

5 hours ago, BayesianLove said:

It's not true for most programs probably right now,  but I wouldn't count on Austin.  I do mean it would be a second wave slot and their goal class is 5-7 this year so the odds aren't looking too good for those how haven't heard.   Sometime in March the second waves will start coming.  Who are you waiting on?  There are a couple of programs that have reputations (cough cough Columbia and FSU) for being later in the process.

23 hours ago, ipsumlorem said:

wow got admitted into Stanford's MS program.

I'm happy beyond words

Congrats man!

May I ask what's your stats/experience/background? Just curious what kind of credentials Stanford is looking for. Thanks!

3 hours ago, NumStats said:

Thanks for the motivation! I'm not giving up yet, but I think I need to start exploring alternative options and prepare for the worst. In fact, I think thy my multiple majors is a hindrance due to lack of focus and also cost my GPA.

Anyways, best of luck for you!

What are the alternatives you are considering?

49 minutes ago, DJ3Sigma said:

What are the alternatives you are considering?

I am thinking about a research assistant position like post-bachelor program and maybe jobs or even last minute applying Masters. 

Virginia Tech gave me an official offer.  It's only one semester of funding guaranteed at $1826 a month.  I am declining it citing funding concerns (in the off chance that they might fix the problem and give me some security).  The lack of funding security and the fact that their completion rate is 30% (as reported by them)  makes me too nervous.   I am kinda offended because they acted like they were going to give me the fellowship and if they really wanted me to go there like they said they did they should have given me a more stable offer.   My other packages are multiyear and are easily renewable provided I pass quals/prelims/comps (or whatever their exam structure is) and have a reasonable GPA and are at places with over double the completion rate and at better programs.        

3 hours ago, gates said:

Congrats man!

May I ask what's your stats/experience/background? Just curious what kind of credentials Stanford is looking for. Thanks!

Recent undergrad at a Top 30 school w/ a major in Stats and Econ. 3.78 GPA. 161V 169Q 5.5W. I did an undergrad research thesis that did pretty well. My letters of rec were very good. I also have extensive experience outside of classes and a pretty clear direction w/ why I want to pursue an MS in stats, which I think helped my profile tremendously (my stats are to me, just ok)

Good luck in your app process!

Hi everyone. I am Rian from Indonesia. I am a Fulbright scholarship from Indonesia this year. I had applied to several universities approved by the Fulbright committee in this order of preference:

1) Vanderbilt University (Peabody School of Education); Admitted but still waiting for the merit scholarship

2) UIUC ; waiting

3) Lehigh University Pennsylvania ; waiting

4) Bowling Green State Ohio; waiting

5) American University ; Admitted and granted merit scholarship worth 30k for 2-year program.

At this point actually I do not care about my 2nd-4th list anymore. I just put my hope in these two universities that have admitted me so far. My ideal scenario is when Vandy give me merit based scholarship as well because it is one of the most competitive program for my major (Policy and Management of Education). On the other hand, American University seems legit. Apart from securing myself there with another grant, DC seems to be the best place to learn policy of education. However the American university does not provide doing thesis at the end of the program while in Vandy, I can do thesis. I really want to do thesis tho. So I am kind of puzzled here.

Can someone give me some inputs here about the comparison of these two universities? I would highly appreciate that

2 hours ago, ipsumlorem said:

Recent undergrad at a Top 30 school w/ a major in Stats and Econ. 3.78 GPA. 161V 169Q 5.5W. I did an undergrad research thesis that did pretty well. My letters of rec were very good. I also have extensive experience outside of classes and a pretty clear direction w/ why I want to pursue an MS in stats, which I think helped my profile tremendously (my stats are to me, just ok)

Good luck in your app process!

So did you apply after you graduated from college? And what other programs did you apply to?