Is taking a break before applying to grad school a good idea?

Help a girl out here, y'all. I've been set on taking a gap year before applying for grad school. Most of my classmates are applying this Fall and during this whole summer I've been watching them freak out over their apps, GREs, etc. and I'm just here not worrying about it since I'm planning to apply next Fall. I just feel like I am not ready for grad school yet, feel like I haven't done enough to boost my apps or get to know my professors enough, you know? But now, I'm really having second thoughts. I'm super conflicted. I feel like I might miss my chance if I don't apply now. Plus all the other issues like, who am I gonna ask for my letter of recs in a year when I'm not attending school anymore and all that stuff. I freaking doubt you can recycle LoRs (or can you? :huh:)

If anyone here is on the same boat, feel free to reply and freak out with me. If anyone here has taken a gap year and got into grad school anyway, please take me as your young Padawan and school me of your ways. If anyone here is totally against a gap year, please enlighten me as to why.

Edited by BurritoConnoisseur

My gap was measured in decades.  Slow learner.  :-P  Even after my master's, I used a year to get my act together for doctoral applications.  This is in the humanities, but still...

There are a lot of reasons not to go immediately.  One is that you said you don't feel ready yet.  Unless you're a Class A sociopath, that will probably trickle into your applications, making them less successful.  If you wait, you'll (a) have a better academic year as a senior, and (b) have the chance to take a good look at the job market after you graduate, albeit from a really low level.  Combined, that will probably enable you to get stronger recommendations [but keep those contacts warm!], and have a more focused idea of what you want to do with them.  There may also be financial benefits to working for a year, but that will depend on your exact plans.

Good luck.

I found out about the field early in my senior year and didn't feel prepared to apply to the 3 year programs directly, so I took a gap year to do pre-reqs. Ended up with plenty of acceptances so it is definitely doable! 

The above poster already offered really good advice, and I just want to emphasize that whatever you do in your gap year should add value to you as an applicant. So you could do something related to speech that you can talk about in your SOP.

I'm currently about to start my gap year now. I was in the same boat as you essentially and was actually in the process of applying but had to make the decision to do a gap year after one professor wouldn't get back to any of my emails about a recommendation (fingers crossed that doesn't happen this year). But I know what you mean, I felt very unprepared compared to my friends and in my opinion the stress wasn't worth it. I was also trying to work really hard my senior year to raise my gpa and the stress of applications would not have helped me.

But I agree with what everyone else has said, make sure you are going to do something meaningful with that year off (more so 6 months bc you only really have the summer before you're going to have to start apps). I'm starting in 2 weeks as a special education assistant at an elementary school and might try and get a job as an aba therapist a little later on in the year. 

While not having the stress of not applying will be nice, fair warning that it does suck to see all your friends get accepted into places and that they will be starting school in September while you'll be stuck at home (but that is also just me). My advice is to try and think really hard about it and weigh the pros and cons, discuss with parents, teachers, etc. Whatever you do make sure that it's what you want to do and what you think is best for yourself! Good luck!!

I took a gap year to gain experience in the field and make some money to afford graduate school. I ended up working as a speech assistant for 3 years until I got accepted into a program (it took me 2 rounds of applying to get in). I absolutely loved working as an assistant and it really motivated me to want to go back and earn my masters. My salary from those few years will definitely ease the financial burden of grad school!

I had a year between my undergrad and my grad year and I managed to get a job in my field during my gap year. It was part-time and low pay, but that was still a step up from an unpaid internship. I got in after being out of school for a year, and I think that if you use time during your gap year to pursue or keep up with relevant interests, there's really no harm in it.

Also, with the letters of recommendation, some professors will still write them after a year if you were in contact with them a bit. I asked an art history professors I had to write me a letter of recommendation for the Fall 2018 application cycle, and I took her class in Fall 2014, but we still kept in touch. Usually, they'll ask for your CV and statement of purpose to know what you've been up to since you left. My advice would be to keep in touch with professors over the gap year; it helps.

I'm in a humanities field, but I took a year off between my undergrad from a small university and my master's.  I honestly did nothing productive or related to my field (I worked retail and in a coffee shop) and I got into 3/4 of my top schools.  I knew I wasn't ready for grad school- I was exhausted and worn out after working so hard in undergrad.  I absolutely needed the gap year to be ready and to be excited for my master's.  your application will reflect your desire regardless.

I took 8 gap years! I applied to grad school four times before I finally got in. Luckily my professors from undergrad were always happy to write me a recommendation, even after I hadn't seen them in years...but I went to a really small program, so that definitely helped. Maybe let your professors know of your plans so they aren't surprised to hear from you in a year when you write to ask for a recommendation.