How many schools should I apply to?

jaaaayciee

I want to get a Master's in History, so I have been looking at schools I would like to go to online for years. Since then, I have made a list and it originally stood at about 15. Now, the list is down to about 8 after narrowing it down. I don't really want to waste the money applying to schools I know I won't get into, but at the same time, I don't want to narrow my options in case I am rejected by all the schools I want to go to.

So what is a good number range of schools I should try and apply to?

I agree with telkanuru on the range.  Almost all MA programs are not as selective as PhD programs, and many are cash cows to fund the latter.  Since you already did research on your possible choices, then you are generally aware of the admission requirements for each program. If your stats meet those requirements you should be able to get into at least a few.  In any event, don't do what I did, which was to apply to only one.  Luckily I was admitted, but I should have had two or three alternatives just in case. 

That sounds like a good range. As someone going for a Biochemistry PhD program, it's really hard to gauge though. Since research experience and LOR can often times triumph low GRE and GPA scores, its hard to say what schools not to apply for (i.e. I have a gpa of 3.00 but am applying to Brown University). At the end of the day, i'd say its up to your budget. I currently have 8 schools, but I'm going to narrow it down to 5 (not regarding whether I can get in or not, but regarding my interest in the program) since my budge is under $400 overall (including sending GRE scores). 

I'm applying to 10 PhD programs and am in the same boat. I'm constantly looking for ways to trim, but my list will probably still be 10 in December. 

1 hour ago, deutsch1997bw said:

I'm applying to 14 PhD programs in political science. I have a few top 10-15s, many top 20s, and a few top 30-40s.

You should really trim that down. Don't try to think of it as "safety" and "reach," because that's not how it works. And trust me, 9 apps for HoS was a lot. You're going to go nuts with 14 (plus it's expensive).

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, AP said:

My response is always the same: as many as you can afford money-wise and application-materials-wise. 

And know that the world will not end if things don't work out the way you'd like them to.  There's always next year!

Keep the application fees in mind. I'm going to randomly choose eight MA programs from around the country as examples: Brandeis, Georgia, Arizona, Washington State, Indiana, LSU, Montana, and William & Mary.

Brandeis is $75, Georgia is $75, Arizona is $85, Washington State is $75, Indiana is $55, LSU is $55, Montana is $60, and William & Mary is $50.

That's $530 out of your own pocket. You probably didn't want a parental-type lecture about wise spending, but you have to consider it. If you can afford eight programs, go for it. I say four to six is fine, but if you're not confident in your application, go for eight. Best of luck!

I know this has been stressed on other threads but make sure to contact POIs before applying! A couple of schools have been moved off my list already because a POI is getting ready to retire.