HGSE 2018

Edugy

13 hours ago, fmtj1996 said:

Hi!
Does anyone know the stats/ have any input on how difficult it is to get in straight from undergrad? I want to apply and have very solid internship/extracurricular experience and good GRE and GPA and go to a good public university and I have good reasons for wanting to go to grad school. Is it pretty much impossible to get in with no work experience or do I have a chance?

I think it would be dependent on what kind of programs you are looking at. Applying for a Master's program straight from undergrad would most definitely be easier than applying to a doctoral program. Check out HGSE's "Who Studies at HGSE?" page. You'll see that there were students without any work experience in both the Ph.D. cohort and Master's cohort from the 2016-2017 entering class. But the catch is also that while the age range for the Master's cohort was 20-61, the age range for the Ph.D. cohort was 23-37, which means that the youngest member might have gone into a two-year Master's program straight from undergrad before applying OR they could have just taken a bit longer with their undergrad career OR they could have completed uni and gotten a few years of work experience prior to their acceptance... there are a multitude of plausible explanations for possible correlations between the age range and years of work experience, which is to say that it's difficult for anyone to give you a direct answer detailing your level of admissibility in regards to post-undergrad work experience.  

Personally, I think it's totally fine to apply this year if you have the funds, are totally ready with the appropriate application requirements, and feel that it is the most appropriate step for your future. Likewise, we, as applicants, never know what HGSE is looking for. Institutional goals and benchmarks are changed regularly so you may very well get into the program of your choice. BUT, as you are set to graduate this year, I would definitely have a backup plan ready just in case admission results do not go well... aka you probably should start preparing yourself for job/career fairs after you submit your application if you choose to apply for admissions this year.    

Edited by EdPhDHopeful

Hi everyone! I have a question about GRE verification for the PhD program (application through GSAS, not HGSE). Posters from previous years have said that they can tell when their GRE scores have been "verified." Is this the same for PhD apps? I cannot tell if mine have been received or not. For reference, Standardized Test Scores is bold in the applicant portal. Thanks in advance!

5 hours ago, NativeEd said:

Hi everyone! I have a question about GRE verification for the PhD program (application through GSAS, not HGSE). Posters from previous years have said that they can tell when their GRE scores have been "verified." Is this the same for PhD apps? I cannot tell if mine have been received or not. For reference, Standardized Test Scores is bold in the applicant portal. Thanks in advance!

I was wondering about this too. When I log in to my account on GSAS it says “application status submitted” in bold and the list of my recommenders, but nowhere does it mention my GRE scores. After seeing your post I found a link to the applicant portal, and underneath the bold "Standardized Test Scores" mine says GRE General Official 11/2017, so I presume this means these have been received? 

Edited by imagical

12 hours ago, NativeEd said:

@NativeEd I submitted my application about two weeks ago and did not see my scores under the bolded "Standardized Test Scores" section. As such, I contacted GSAS and they informed me that scores do not automatically get matched with applications immediately after submission. It takes a day or two for the application system to put the two together. Seeing "GRE General Official (date of exam)" under "Standardized Test Scores" will mean that GSAS has received and matched your GRE scores. 

It should look like this (I blurred out my references and GRE exam dates):

Harvard Application.jpg

Edited by EdPhDHopeful

1 hour ago, EdPhDHopeful said:

@NativeEd I submitted my application about two weeks ago and did not see my scores under the bolded "Standardized Test Scores" section. As such, I contacted GSAS and they informed me that scores do not automatically get matched with applications immediately after submission. It takes a day or two for the application system to put the two together. Seeing "GRE General Official (date of exam)" under "Standardized Test Scores" will mean that GSAS has received and matched your GRE scores. 

It should look like this (I blurred out my references and GRE exam dates):

Harvard Application.jpg

Ok thank you both! They just showed up.

Edited by NativeEd
Corrected response.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys.

My second time applying to HGSE Masters program. Does anyone have a good cv format to use? I'm thinking I shouldn't use my 'colourful' one I use when applying to teacher vacancies. I think it needs to be more professional. Also, would having my photo on my cv be politically incorrect? I've heard from some quarters it is.

Cheers.

Edited by Expateacher

Did everyone get their apps in? How are you feeling?

I turned in my Ed.L.D. application an hour before the deadline. I am SO relieved that it is done. I definitely feel like I put my best foot forward. Don't really know what else I could've done so I am happy.

I was curious. Did anyone submit anything on the last page? The additional information? I attached a portfolio but I didn't know if people actually use that section.

Good luck, everyone!

Hello, everyone! I hope everyone's having a great start to the holiday season. I also hope there are still people reading the forums who are willing to assess an applicant's chances of admission. If so, please let me know what you think my chances are, or if you have any pertinent advice. Thank you!

Program/Concentration: HGSE M.Ed-- EPM Concentration
GRE Score: V 163; Q 152; AWA- 5.0 (retaking GRE this Saturday as well) 
GPA: 3.5 overall; 3.74 (English major); 3.67 (Religious Studies major); many academic and other honors in undergrad; several key leadership positions in university
Work Experience: Teach for America alum, promoted to department head/leadership team in second year. Worked for the past 4 years in China. In China, was a lead teacher at American school. Then promoted to school Director after 1.5 years, where I oversaw all aspects of the school, (curriculum, teachers, sales, marketing, and customer service); boosted enrollments, parent satisfaction, and all overall sales; and managed a multicultural staff of Chinese and American employees. I was then promoted to Vice President of Business Development, where my primary tasks involved expanding and implementing our company's schools and model throughout China. Also have extensive community service experience in China (unrelated to education) and in the States (related).
Undergrad/Grad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Top 2 Public University/"Public Ivy"
Research Experience: I don't currently have research experience in education and policy. However, I've just received a research-intensive fellowship specifically geared towards education and policy, and that fellowship and all pertinent research will run from January 2018 - June 2018, so therefore before matriculation.
LoR/SoP: Should be strong. My supervisor when I was school director, my CEO who supervised me at the corporate level, and my major advisor from undergrad.
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: UPenn, Curry School, Vanderbilt, Stanford, UCLA, UC Berkeley 

Thank you all so, so much!

Hey @TMW88! I'm a TFA alum who is also applying to Harvard's M.Ed program. I was initially thinking of EPM, but have changed the concentration I'm interested in to Human Development & Psych. Your stats seem really stellar...you sound like an excellent candidate for the program. Of course, I am no expert and am currently going through the application process along with you. How's your application coming along? 

1 hour ago, memphismocha said:

Hey @TMW88! I'm a TFA alum who is also applying to Harvard's M.Ed program. I was initially thinking of EPM, but have changed the concentration I'm interested in to Human Development & Psych. Your stats seem really stellar...you sound like an excellent candidate for the program. Of course, I am no expert and am currently going through the application process along with you. How's your application coming along? 

Hey, Memphismocha! Awesome that you're applying, and thanks for your response! The application is coming along fairly all right. I still have the SoP to finish. I keep getting stuck on organizing and crafting it. Might just be best for me to tear the whole thing up and start with a much stronger outline going into the new draft. How about you?? I'm sure you're gonna be great!

@TMW88 Yeah, I'm in a similar position. I'm still teaching, and so it's been hard juggling both work & applying. I'm looking forward to winter break to work on my SoP. I have a lot of notes and ideas that I need to make more concrete. I agree that it's tricky to figure out the best tone and organization...this is my first time applying to grad school and crafting a SoP for a program like this. You seem like an excellent applicant...your work experience after TFA sounds very interesting! Are you applying to any other schools besides Harvard? 

@memphismocha Yeah, I definitely understand the challenge of having to balance all of that, but I'm sure that, considering your past successes, you're doing a great job even though it may sometimes feel like you want to pull your hair out haha. And thank you! I had a chance to read your post earlier. You sound like an extremely strong candidate who'd certainly make many contributions to the program and beyond. Haha yes, it's definitely been a great experience working and living in China. I've learned much more than I thought I would. And I am! I'm looking into MBA programs as well as Stanford, UPenn, Vanderbilt, UVa, UC Berkeley as well for M.Ed programs. How about you?

3 hours ago, fmtj1996 said:

Online it says decisions will be available late March but on the thread for last year it looks like they came out in the first week of March. Anyone know if they changed when they release decisions? 

What program did you apply for? It seems like it has traditionally been early March for PhD and EdLD programs.

4 hours ago, fmtj1996 said:

Online it says decisions will be available late March but on the thread for last year it looks like they came out in the first week of March. Anyone know if they changed when they release decisions? 

Looking at the forums in previous years, it looks like early March is the norm for Masters courses too, and doctoral applicants seem to find out by the end of February. I guess maybe they say late March online just in case of delays or to give themselves a couple of weeks extra time if they need it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I submitted my application last week and now trying to chill during the dreaded wait. Opinions on odds are welcome, but mostly just contributing to pass time until the decisions come.

Program/Concentration: International Education Policy
GRE Score: V 167; Q 153; AWA- 4.5
GPA: ~3.4 but went to undergrad in the UK where they don't use GPAs, graduated with a 2:1 in their system
Work Experience: Current Peace Corps Volunteer teaching English. Before that I worked in the Education Department at a small museum and was the head cheerleading coach at a local high school.
Undergrad/Grad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Public in UK, Top 25 in World
Research Experience: None
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: Brandeis- mostly for their 50% off scholarships for Peace Corps service and because I want to be close to home (Boston area)

My Peace Corps service was supposed to last until 2019 but my post is closing unexpectedly so I had to rush my application a bit to get ready for this season but I'm cautiously hopeful.

Good luck to everyone!

Hey folks, another lurker from previous years, primarily because HGSE Admissions people are so cadgy about answering questions, so reading these threads has been way more helpful for me. I got into MEd in Specialized Studies last year, but didn't end up going. Just submitted my application! This year:

Program/Concentration: PSP research strand
GRE Score: verbal - 162, quantitative - 154, analytical - 4.5
GPA: 3.8
Work Experience: 6 years in youth work, primarily focusing on youth voice/youth empowerment/youth involvement in policy and homeless youth work. Also have worked with the littler ones. Right now I manage a new young adult Diversion housing pilot program and coordinate a homeless youth worker training institute in Seattle. My goals and reasons for applying to HGSE are very tied up in this work experience.
Undergrad Experience: BA honors from Hamline University in MN w/ double major in Middle East Studies and History - nothing-to-write-home-about private institution; took some ECE classes back when I wanted to be a teacher
Research Experience: Published a few articles in notable journals, but it was all Middle East related, so I'm not sure that is super helpful (and the admissions people refused to tell me). I have led workshops at a few professional conferences and have built youth worker training materials, but those are different than academic research, so IDK.

LoR/SoP: Last year I submitted one from my BA honors thesis advisor, one from my former ED who used to work at the US Dept of Ed and my former supervisor; I only had to add one new reference since I was re-applying, and I got one from another former ED who is very well respected in homeless youth work and has seen some of my new leadership work this past year up close. I didn't want to tip my current org that I'm applying, so none of mine are from them. SoP is done. Feels strong. I am hoping to study the same thing I wanted to study last year, just realized that I was not going to vibe at all with the Specialized Studies cohort after being on the program-specific call with them. All of that meant I had to change a few things, but not re-write an entire SoP.
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: None. If I don't get in, I'm just going to apply to some European schools with late deadlines and English youth work programs and go. Since I got in last year and feel like I'm a better applicant this year, I'm hoping it works out.

Edited by smashtron
realized I missed a part

On 12/21/2017 at 9:05 AM, fmtj1996 said:

Last year they came out on March 3, and every thread before last year says they came out basically the first Friday of March - I have March 2 marked on my calendar already because I'm 99% sure we will get our answer that day.

I think they just say that in case they can't get them out on time.

On 2018/1/1 at 1:20 AM, smashtron said:

Hey folks, another lurker from previous years, primarily because HGSE Admissions people are so cadgy about answering questions, so reading these threads has been way more helpful for me. I got into MEd in Specialized Studies last year, but didn't end up going. Just submitted my application! This year:

Work Experience: 6 years in youth work, primarily focusing on youth voice/youth empowerment/youth involvement in policy and homeless youth work. Also have worked with the littler ones. Right now I manage a new young adult Diversion housing pilot program and coordinate a homeless youth worker training institute in Seattle. My goals and reasons for applying to HGSE are very tied up in this work experience.
Undergrad Experience: BA honors from Hamline University in MN w/ double major in Middle East Studies and History - nothing-to-write-home-about private institution; took some ECE classes back when I wanted to be a teacher
Research Experience: Published a few articles in notable journals, but it was all Middle East related, so I'm not sure that is super helpful (and the admissions people refused to tell me). I have led workshops at a few professional conferences and have built youth worker training materials, but those are different than academic research, so IDK.

LoR/SoP: Last year I submitted one from my BA honors thesis advisor, one from my former ED who used to work at the US Dept of Ed and my former supervisor; I only had to add one new reference since I was re-applying, and I got one from another former ED who is very well respected in homeless youth work and has seen some of my new leadership work this past year up close. I didn't want to tip my current org that I'm applying, so none of mine are from them. SoP is done. Feels strong. I am hoping to study the same thing I wanted to study last year, just realized that I was not going to vibe at all with the Specialized Studies cohort after being on the program-specific call with them. All of that meant I had to change a few things, but not re-write an entire SoP.
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: None. If I don't get in, I'm just going to apply to some European schools with late deadlines and English youth work programs and go. Since I got in last year and feel like I'm a better applicant this year, I'm hoping it works out.

Hi! Glad to find someone also apply for PSP! 

Just posting to pass the time as well! I was enrolled in a doctoral program at a top 10 medical school, but realized part way into my first semester that I was no longer interesting in becoming a healthcare professional. I withdrew officially from my program last month. I had daily exposure to children who are deaf or hard of hearing (d/hh) during my time in the program. Due to this experience, I am applying to the SSP strand to research how healthcare initiatives and special and deaf education can be blended in a more cohesive manner to promote education equity in primary schools.

[Applying directly from undergrad... essentially]

Program/Concentration: SSP
GRE Score: verbal - 158, quantitative - 152, analytical - 5
GPA: 2.74
Work Experience: 5 years experience in education working as an independent tutor and as the general manager of three tutor centers. Half a year working with children who are d/hh providing language modeling and teaching behavioral management skills. Internship experience working in a pediatric clinic at a large medical center in the Bay Area assisting providers with direct patient contact and learning testing protocols.
Undergrad Experience: B.A. in Linguistics and Psychology from a Top 2 Public University in the US. 
Research Experience: Experience working in a linguistics lab focused on effortful language processing via eye tracking. Basic familiarity with SSP. Some experience constructing, running and analyzing results from a 30-subject-pool research project. 

LoR/SoP: Letter from the director of my doctoral program, one of my graduate program professors and a former professor from undergrad.
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: None.

Wishing everyone the best of luck!!~ 

Hi everyone. I wasn't sure if I would post here. I've been lurking and trying to figure out what my chances are. I applied to HGSE's Ph.D. program.

Program/Concentration: CIS
GRE Score: V 168, Q 152, AWA: 6 (I took the GRE once, and I studied very hard for the quant, but it's been a long time since I had to use math at that level; I am really happy with my V and AWA, but worried over the low Q. I considered taking the test a few more times, but I elected not to do so in the hopes that my V and AWA scores will be more important, but I don't know.)
GPA: 3.73 undergrad magna cum laude / 3.9 masters
Work Experience: 20 years as a classroom teacher, including 3 years as a technology integrator and about 4 years as a department chair. Some experience consulting. Lots of experience presenting at national/regional/state conferences in many different areas. 
Undergrad/Grad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Public in both cases, and I'm not sure how well regarded (UGA and VA Tech).
Research Experience: None really, but I have published two articles in a peer-reviewed education journal. I also have a well-regarded blog (12 years and counting!).
LoR/SoP: 2 from supervisors and 1 from a colleague who has worked with me closely. SoP focused on assessment in education. I earned my masters in 2010, and all of my undergrad professors are retired (I am a lot older than many of you!); I don't think any of my graduate school professors are still at it, either, or at least, I don't know where they are. I honestly think people who have worked with me would be able to speak more accurately about my abilities than my college professors who might barely be able to recall the work I did in their classes years ago, but I could be wrong. I decided I better not worry about it.
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: None; if I don't get in, I'm content to continue working in my current teaching job. This program is the one I want to try. If I'm not admitted, I probably will not go on to earn a Ph.D. anywhere else. I did research other schools, but my conclusion is that I really want to attend this school and participate in this program. 

I've been lurking for a while, and I figured I might as well add my stats as well! 

Program/Concentration: TIE (I've only seen like one of y'all, so if anyone else out there is applying, let me know!)

GRE Score: Taking it in a few days, but my prediction is V: 162 Q: 161 AWA: 4.5

GPA: 3.21 (I explained the rollercoaster that was my time in undergrad in my additional info, so hopefully it'll be enough)

Work Experience: Second year TFA, currently do remote work for an edTech company

Undergrad/Grad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..):  Private Top 50

Research Experience: none. like literally 0. 

LoR/SoP: LoR- 1 from TFA, 1 from my principal, and 1 from the tech company I work for; SoP: I teach at a high poverty school in Silicon Valley. I focused on the disparities between my classroom and Silicon Valley/ what I've personally done to address them.

What Other Schools Are You Applying To: Stanford and Columbia!

On 12/31/2017 at 12:20 PM, smashtron said:

PSP '11 here, you're a great fit for the program. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I think your interests and experiences align well with those of Bob Selman and Gretchen Brion-Meisels.

Hi everyone! 

Program/Concentration: Specialized Studies Program (SSP)
GRE Score: TBA
GPA: 4.0 Summa Cum Laude
Work Experience: a combined 6 years of urban early childhood teaching; was a founding teacher at two public Montessori start-ups (Chicago/Memphis); experience as team leader, mentor, coach, PLC director, school-wide professional development coordinator; on-site coordinator and instructor for the pilot of a first of its kind Public Montessori Teacher Institute and Residency launched in collaboration with a national public Montessori organization; frequent presenter at national Montessori conferences, contributor for an online Public Montessori periodical; currently participating in a consortium of school leaders around the country to raise funding in order to replicate the pilot of the training program on a national scale
Undergrad/Grad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): B.A. in Early Childhood Education from a small public university, American Montessori Early Childhood teaching credential, IL and TN state teaching license in Early Childhood Education with an Approval in Special Education
Research Experience: no personal research experience, however worked as a writing consultant at my university's Writing Center offering tutoring support for undergraduate and graduate students
LoR/SoP: 2 LORs from HGSE Alum (one Masters, one Doctoral; a neuroscience teaching fellow for Harvard's Extension School, and the Head Researcher for the National Center for Montessori in the Public Sector), 1 LOR from my Leadership Coach who is also a Montessori consultant and instructor; I feel good about my SOP and had a lot of people read it and provide feedback before I submitted
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: none

I'm excited to hear about your experiences as well as get some feedback on mine. I threw my hat in the ring at the very last minute for this program so this is my Hail Mary attempt- which also means that I don't have a GRE testing date until January 10th. It is published on the website as well as was communicated with me via email from the both the SSP Faculty Director and the Associate Director of Admissions that there is some flexibility for testing dates scheduled before January 15th. Therefore, I'm not sure if my application will even be  considered for the program (but I'm hoping my work experience, SOP, GPA, and LORs are strong enough to be considered).

Has anyone on this thread either had experience with an extended deadline or know anyone who has? Thanks and I look forward to hearing any feedback the group has to offer!

Edited by SSPhopeful