Schools that don't require prerequisites

lee09

Hello everyone,

I'm attempting to apply to graduate school again....:( I would like some feed backs so I know how to prepare. Has anyone applied to a school that does not require prerequisites or if they require them, it's not necessary to have a lot completed. I really want to apply for Fall of 2018 but it's so disheartening when I read that you need prerequisites to get in. I've already earned my first BA and I am going to school right now trying to fulfill the prerequisites. I'm willing to move out of state if need be. I'm just super ready to get into graduate school so I can hurry up with starting the career I want to do. Anyone has any wise recommendations? 

Thank you <3

You will still have to take the same courses whether you do them at the undergraduate level or the graduate level. It doesn't actually save time to do a 3 year "extended" master's as an out-of-field applicant vs. a post-bacc/2nd bachelor's plus a regular 2 year master's.

Pro of applying to "extended" master's programs: you know for sure before you start taking the leveling courses that you have acceptance to a master's program.

Con: way more expensive tuition (difference can be $25k depending on the school)

What is your GPA from your 1st bachelor's? What are your GRE scores? Do you have any relevant work/volunteer/shadowing experience?

Most UK/Irish schools will accept you if you are applying from a Psychology/Linguistics/Cog Sci related major. In the US, I have found that Northeastern and SCU will accept students who have completed minimal SLP prerequisites.

Of course, you would be wise to consider the flip side of this coin. If you have not studied Com Sci that deeply prior to attending graduate school...you will have that much more work to do while in grad school. From my understanding, SLP grad school is a time consuming, high stress, fast paced environment that is difficult on your mental health as it is.

UTD has it's prerequisites built into the program so 6 semesters vs. the usual 5 semesters.  Very short compared to other programs!   They regularly get applicants from out of field as long as your undergraduate gpa and GRE scores are good i'd consider applying!