Fall 2018

Ken5566

9 hours ago, ejeon0501 said:

For those who posted about rejections from Columbia: was it a generic email to check the portal? I haven't heard back and am curious.

I haven't heard from them either, and the website hasn't changed. I am flabbergasted since my fit is quite atrocious. What does it mean? Are we wait-listed or are we so insignificant that they won't even deem to reject us? ;)

Has anyone had an answer from NYU? It was my equal top choice, so absolutely devastated I haven't had an interview. In previous years has anyone for art history been waitlisted/accepted without an interview? A friend of mine was waitlisted for a different subject without an interview last year so wondering if it can be the same situation. 

Perhaps I'm just clutching at straws watching my dreams disintegrate here...

On 2/14/2018 at 4:35 PM, Allegorica said:

Congratulations!

I had an interview for a PhD last week. They asked me to go more in depth about what I want to study, what type of methodology I might use, and what I am looking for in a PhD program - basically why I want to do a PhD. It seemed pretty straightforward, however, they also asked me to describe "an object I consider compelling" and explain why. The questions were direct and we had very minimal back and forth natural conversation. Since then, I have not heard anything from the school so I don't  know my admission status.

Thank you! It’s on Friday and I’m so nervous ?

Hi there. I'm on the wait-list for Boston U. Does anyone know how many spots BU has for PhD students? What are the chances of moving off of the waitlist and being accepted? To the people accepted, do you plan to attend? (PM me if you prefer answering this question privately).

Hi Fragonard

So I just received an invitation to interview in late March today, if that helps at all. That being said - I applied to the MA/MS program for Art Conservation and Art History not the pure Art History program so I'm not sure how different programs time interview invitations. Good luck!

On 1/25/2018 at 10:17 PM, ReichenbachFalls said:

Ah Goldsmiths!!! I’m obsessed with that school. If they offered more funding for Americans it would definitely be my top choice. 

I got in!! Now I have to figure out funding. Did they offer you anything at all? Not sure where to start here...

9 hours ago, /sigh/twombly said:

Is it over for Penn? Saw a few responses awhile ago on the acceptance/rejections thread and unsure whether to hold out hope or assume that a rejection letter is coming...

I think so; unless you’ve been waitlisted (I was and I have withdrawn myself from it due to an acceptance at another program).

Maybe you could send an e-mail to your POI?

Not to be be negative, but I think Berkeley is done. I received an email yesterday addressed to "Dear Admits to UC Berkeley" and I would imagine they sent that out to all who accepted. 

Their cohorts are incredibly small. Last year they only accepted 6; this year might be similar or even smaller. It isn't crazy to expect a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio of grad cafe users to non grad cafe users. 

On 2/5/2018 at 3:03 PM, Imenol said:

Given that she got the email on Friday and that other people have been notified, I am afraid that you are likely to have been rejected if you have not had any news as of yet... If you want to receive confirmation, I think you might want to go ahead and email the department at this point

4 hours ago, Ian Takaes said:

I think so; unless you’ve been waitlisted (I was and I have withdrawn myself from it due to an acceptance at another program).

Maybe you could send an e-mail to your POI?

I think Penn is over - their cohort was even smaller than Berkeley's this year; according to a Prof. I contacted, only 4 slots existed.

Edited by storiadell'arte

1 hour ago, storiadell'arte said:

I think Penn is over - their cohort was even smaller than Berkeley's this year; according to a Prof. I contacted, only 4 slots existed.

I called UPenn's art history office and was told that not all offers of admission have been sent out yet, but they should finalize everything by the beginning of next week.

1 hour ago, BelleEpoque said:

I called UPenn's art history office and was told that not all offers of admission have been sent out yet, but they should finalize everything by the beginning of next week.

Hi BelleEpoque - thanks for that info! Do you know if that is in reference to the waitlist as well?

Edited by storiadell'arte

On 21/02/2018 at 8:38 PM, scadgradtobe said:

I got in!! Now I have to figure out funding. Did they offer you anything at all? Not sure where to start here...

For accommodation check out Goodenough College. My friend lived there several years ago during her MA. Great atmosphere and events, all studious postgrads from all London universities. I went to visit often and was so jealous!! They have scholarships which would cover your accommodation at least (which is a huge chunk of costs in London!)