Fall 2018

Ken5566

Hello! Has anybody heard back from NYU or Columbia’s Art History masters programs yet? I noticed that the first acceptance given by Columbia for the MA program last year was around Feb 23rd so I’m wondering if anyone heard back yet this cycle and just hasn’t posted on the results page...

Thanks!!

Edited by Cezanneaway

3 hours ago, texasod said:

Any Rutgers applicants out there? I’m curious if anyone has heard anything from them yet!

Rutgers app over here as well, but nothing on my end so far!

Hi all!

I just came across this forum after applying to several schools (UT Austin, University of New Mexico, University of Chicago, Tulane, CUNY Hunter College, and Columbia). It's been really helpful to understand where others are at in the application process. While I'm still waiting to hear back from Tulane (not very optimistic), I did get accepted to Hunter's MA program and University of Chicago's Latin American and Caribbean Studies MA program (with a focus on Art History). My area of study is Latin American art history.

I noticed that quite a few of you are regionally focused on Latin America as well. Does anyone have any knowledge of these two programs? I intend to apply to PhD programs in Art History after receiving my MA, so does anyone here have any insight on which program might be better for preparing me to apply to PhD programs? I have been offered a half-tuition scholarship to Chicago, so tuition would be comparable to CUNY. 

I have a BA in Art Practice from UC Berkeley. I found that many of my rejections were due to the fact that even though I have been working in museums for years, I did not take many upper division art history courses as an undergrad. This is something I will be focusing on making up for in my MA.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Edited by sol.sheri

On 2/26/2018 at 8:49 PM, Cezanneaway said:

Hello! Has anybody heard back from NYU or Columbia’s Art History masters programs yet? I noticed that the first acceptance given by Columbia for the MA program last year was around Feb 23rd so I’m wondering if anyone heard back yet this cycle and just hasn’t posted on the results page...

Thanks!!

I don't think Columbia has released any MA decisions yet, just the PhD. I'm still waiting too. 

7 hours ago, sol.sheri said:

I just came across this forum after applying to several schools (UT Austin, University of New Mexico, University of Chicago, Tulane, CUNY Hunter College, and Columbia). It's been really helpful to understand where others are at in the application process. While I'm still waiting to hear back from Tulane (not very optimistic), I did get accepted to Hunter's MA program and University of Chicago's Latin American and Caribbean Studies MA program (with a focus on Art History). My area of study is Latin American art history.

I noticed that quite a few of you are regionally focused on Latin America as well. Does anyone have any knowledge of these two programs? I intend to apply to PhD programs in Art History after receiving my MA, so does anyone here have any insight on which program might be better for preparing me to apply to PhD programs? I have been offered a half-tuition scholarship to Chicago, so tuition would be comparable to CUNY. 

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Biased opinion, here, but:

Harper Montgomery at CUNY did her Ph.D. at University of Chicago, and she is the Latin Americanist there. I know she has helped place some of her students into well-regarded Ph.D. programs, putting a friend of mine into Princeton.

The ability to take courses at the Grad Center through Hunter MA is also worthwhile.

Howard Singerman has done some great things for the Hunter department, and I think it has become exciting to be there again. 

18 hours ago, RomeSweetRome said:

Anyone have any Duke or UVA admissions updates? Saw a post for each on the results page (Duke acceptance, UVA rejection) but haven't heard anything on my end...

Hey: I received an email notification of my acceptance from UVA at the end of January. Next week, they’re hosting admitted students to meet with the department. 

23 hours ago, RomeSweetRome said:

Anyone have any Duke or UVA admissions updates? Saw a post for each on the results page (Duke acceptance, UVA rejection) but haven't heard anything on my end...

Hi! I was the UVA rejection. Got accepted into their architectural history master's program a couple days before so I figured a PhD rejection was coming. Hope you hear good news soon!

HAs anyone received an official offer from Berkeley's Art History program? I still haven't heard from them and it's hard to tell if the cohort has been determined or if they are still deliberating. Both options seemed to have been raised by different posters on this thread. Oh, the suspense is killing me!

Good luck everyone!

8 hours ago, ReichenbachFalls said:

Hey @texasod I randomly Checked the status website last night and found an acceptance waiting for me, just FYI! 

Thanks, @ReichenbachFalls! Nothing on my end...must not be good news for me! If you’re willing to share, what’s your subfield?

14 minutes ago, texasod said:

Thanks, @ReichenbachFalls! Nothing on my end...must not be good news for me! If you’re willing to share, what’s your subfield?

Best of luck - I know acceptances tend to come through in waves. My subfield is contemporary!