Hey, everyone! :)

I just wanted to stop by and ask those of you who are currently in a program three questions about GA positions assisting with living expenses. Also, if you have any tips or cautionary advice please feel free to share. 

What is the compensation rate like for those of you who have graduate assistantships (in the CSD department and other departments on campus)? 

How are you able to cover rent and other basic necessities while in graduate school? 

Does your GA cover tuition and provide a stipend ( i.e full vs. partial depending on hours worked per week)?

My GA is within the department and 10 hours a week. We get paid twice a month and my checks are always $170. So, no, it does not help at all with any major expenses. If anything, it's lunch money and used for small personal expenses (ie. getting a pedicure)

Others in my class make a few dollars more, some make a couple dollars less but we all work a maximum of 10 hours regardless.

The GA did allow me to have in-state tuition though, so that was a plus, but I also could've gotten in-state tuition via a tuition waiver if needed.

I primarily rely on student loans to pay for rent and tuition.

I'm in the English department and receive a stipend, insurance and waiver of tuition. The stipend is low, but not as low as Chai Tea's is. I have other independent income, but most of the GAs are in roommate situations. Most assistantships are 1/2 time (which is as much as the department will allow) = 20 hours per week. I teach a 2/2 schedule and hold office hours on campus. My MA campus was different in that the 20 hours had to be spent completely on campus. Anything lower than the 20 hours is quarter time and the benefits are reduced accordingly.

Edited by cowgirlsdontcry

1 hour ago, Chai Tea Latte said:

My GA is within the department and 10 hours a week. We get paid twice a month and my checks are always $170. So, no, it does not help at all with any major expenses. If anything, it's lunch money and used for small personal expenses (ie. getting a pedicure)

Others in my class make a few dollars more, some make a couple dollars less but we all work a maximum of 10 hours regardless.

The GA did allow me to have in-state tuition though, so that was a plus, but I also could've gotten in-state tuition via a tuition waiver if needed.

I primarily rely on student loans to pay for rent and tuition.

Wow. For some reason I thought GA positions would at least come close to cost of living expense. I was wondering why everyone was freaking out about loans despite having a GA. Makes sense now. Thanks for responding. 

8 hours ago, Blue J said:

Wow. For some reason I thought GA positions would at least come close to cost of living expense. I was wondering why everyone was freaking out about loans despite having a GA. Makes sense now. Thanks for responding. 

It varies by school.

University of North Texas offers $5200-6000 a year and they work 10 hours as well.

Downside is, they only have about 20 GA positions and accept over 40 people per cohort.

Edited by Chai Tea Latte

I don't have a GA position but I do work on campus and have Federal Work Study. I work 15 hours a week and same with @Chai Tea Latte get paid every two weeks. It's not a lot of money but personally for me it helps with utilities for my apartment and groceries. Personally I think its just the right amount of time working. Other than that I rely on loans to pay for living expenses and tuition. 

Master's programs don't tend to offer the very generous stipends that a PhD. program often will. The flip side is that they accept a LOT more students. A department might only have a handful of doctoral students but dozens or even 100+ master's students.

Kutztown University (Pennsylvania State school) had a flat rate for any graduate assistants. It was 20 hrs a week for $7500/annually plus the tuition waiver.  The installment was paid biweekly beginning late August and ending a bit after the academic year let out.  

• 2 months later...

I currently have a GA position. I work 20 hours a week, get tuition remission for up to 24 credits annually, and I receive a biweekly stipend which over my annual contract will amount to $7,500 (before taxes). It seems to vary quite a bit by university, and the number of positions also varies depending on the program. Out of about 35 students in my cohort, about 5 of us were offered GA positions.

You're not likely going to make enough to cover all of your living expenses no matter what program you attend. My last stipend check didn't even cover the cost of my textbooks for the semester, but the experience, tuition remission, and little income definitely makes it worth it and alleviates some of the financial pressure of grad school.

• 1 month later...