2018 Education Applicants

Waiting&Hoping2018

Hello!

I have a quick question. I recently exchanged e-mails with the director of the graduate program I am the most interested in.

In the closing paragraph of the e-mail the director said : "All of your materials have been submitted and reviewed.  I can go ahead and recommend you." 

Does this mean that I have been accepted into the program? What exactly does "recommend you" mean? :) Anyone?

I'm anxious and I'm sure most of you are as well. Good luck to us all as we begin to receive responses! 

2 hours ago, nesasp said:

Hello!

I have a quick question. I recently exchanged e-mails with the director of the graduate program I am the most interested in.

In the closing paragraph of the e-mail the director said : "All of your materials have been submitted and reviewed.  I can go ahead and recommend you." 

Does this mean that I have been accepted into the program? What exactly does "recommend you" mean? :) Anyone?

I'm anxious and I'm sure most of you are as well. Good luck to us all as we begin to receive responses! 

When I've received emails with recommend you it meant that I was to be recommended for admission to the graduate school (to the dean of the school) so congrats!

I just received my acceptance to the HID program at Vanderbilt today. I got a notification in my email about an update and logged in and my acceptance letter was there.

I was also wondering about the PhD program at Stanford GSE... I saw that they did a few interviews...? Does anyone know whether the admitted candidates all had an interview before getting an admission offer?

Edited by Cookiz

9 minutes ago, Cookiz said:

I was also wondering about the PhD program at Stanford GSE... I saw that they did a few interviews...? Does anyone know whether the admitted candidates all had an interview before getting an admission offer?

I didn't see anything specific from anyone, and I didn't hear from them. No information on the site as to whether or not an interview is required.

Yeah... It's quite stressful... I also applied to Harvard GSE and apparently they have started to make offers over phone yesterday... It also seems that they made (at least) one this morning... I haven't received any calls though... :(

Actually, I've just found this thread and a guy said the interview is not a prerequisite step for admissions into the Stanford GSE PhD program... phew! cf. below

On 2/3/2017 at 4:59 AM, Espeon said:

Hey guys! @hopefulPhD2017 mentioned on the Fall 2017 acceptances/etc thread that things on this thread are eerily quiet, but decisions will probably start coming out next week, I think! There are two PhD interviews on the results board (one is mine; happy to answer questions via pm), and it seems that interviews are based on the POI instead of being program-wide (so no interview isn't necessarily a bad thing like it could be for schools that usually interview, like HGSE or Vandy). Past years' results indicate letting students know about most PhD admissions decisions between Feb 6-12, and since next week is Feb 6-10, I'm going to hazard a guess that Friday, Feb 10 is when the first wave will go out. Good luck everyone!

Edited by Cookiz

Yeah, they are pretty clear on their website that interviews are not a part of the process at Stanford-- so I think those few reports may have been one-offs. Perhaps specific faculty who really wanted to meet with an applicant? Who knows. I wish their application status page wasn't so ambiguous-- they've given me so much stress!! It also feels like they're a little later than everyone else. I heard from other schools weeks ago....

7 minutes ago, OntheOffChance2018 said:

Yeah, they are pretty clear on their website that interviews are not a part of the process at Stanford-- so I think those few reports may have been one-offs. Perhaps specific faculty who really wanted to meet with an applicant? Who knows. I wish their application status page wasn't so ambiguous-- they've given me so much stress!! It also feels like they're a little later than everyone else. I heard from other schools weeks ago....

Yes, I agree on the ambiguity.  

16 hours ago, nesasp said:

Or should we always try our very very very best to hang in there?

Yes! Hang in there. We will hear back soon.  This is my second time around applying to PhD programs and we are coming up on decision time. If you get to mid-March without hearing from the school, then might advise contacting them; but starting Monday, and for the next three weeks, we are going to see the majority of results returned from Ed programs. Good luck!

Hi! I've been on the Sociology forum since every other program I applied to was pure soc, but I actually can claim the SHIPS acceptance! I was notified by the same professor who interviewed me, via email. I'm not sure when official emails from the department come out. Best of luck to everyone! 

Has anyone heard back from UC Berkeley GSE, yet?

I emailed admissions coordinator, specifically asking if initial offers were sent out yet. She replied saying "Admission decisions have not yet gone out. Decisions should be out by the end of this month."

But it's weird, because somebody posted a result on February 7th. Anyone else have info here?

2 hours ago, OntheOffChance2018 said:

Has anyone who applied to Stanford heard back without having heard from a POI first?

I know that a current PhD student there did not have any interview before getting the admission offer. Whether or not they do interviews varies by program apparently.

10 hours ago, atomintheuniverse said:

Stanford decided to play with me for a couple of months on the waitlist for a CTE PhD. I didn't have an interview, so for those of you who didn't, hope isn't lost! 
On that note, is hope lost? How likely is it for waitlisted candidates to get an offer? Good luck to everyone else!

varies year to year. I know at least on person who's gotten off the waitlist at Stanford. But it is rare.