Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

50 minutes ago, proctorvt said:

I deeply sympathize with your plight. I spent my entire 20's in that position. If you still want to pursue an academic career there are still avenues for you. Consider reaching out to professors at area universities to ask whether you might sit in on some courses. This is not ideal, I know -- I have posted about my travails elsewhere in this thread. Life is long if you're lucky. Don't give up on your dreams simply because the "standard route" has been closed off to you (for now). Keep scratching and clawing. In the meantime, take good care of yourself. And always remember that a career isn't guaranteed to anyone -- not even those on this thread who have been admitted to their dream schools. That goal is still well within your grasp if you want it badly enough.  

Some people's path to an academic career is paved in gold. For the rest of us, we have to fight like hell.

With that being said, academia can be a tough and awful road. Give yourself time to think about your future and be nice to yourself!

@proctorvt thank you so much for your incredibly thoughtful and heartfelt message.

I’m in my early 30’s and already put aside a career in finance when I got pregnant with my first back in 2014 since I was working on my MA concurrently and saw it as a sign to pursue grad school full time. I was fortunate enough to get a fellowship that covered full scholarship and stipend (which went entirely to help with childcare - babysitters are $20/hr in nyc area and daycare is around $3500/mo.) but it was incredibly hard to do both full time at home with a newborn and grad school. I had my second last year and managed to juggle another newborn with a toddler, a doctoral course (while I deferred the MA offer on maternity leave ), PhD applications, and working remotely on a European study. I figured with all this wind behind the sails, I finally had a fighting chance. With another little one coming in July (we are done after this lol) I don’t have the fight left in me to torture myself and my partner and kids to keep clawing for a space somewhere I’m clearly not wanted.

Without institutional support to get IRB and funding, I have 0 chance of pursuing any more original research. I can try to boost my gre score (162 Q and 158 V) but as another year passes, my entire portfolio will age too while my peers continue to grow and plump up their credentials. Is it conceivable? Depends who you ask. Is it possible? Anything is. Is it probable? We all know there is overwhelming evidence pointing to no. Even going back to finance at this point is fruitless bc the few years out of the game have set me back professionally to a point where the comp won’t even cover the cost of childcare for the insane amount of hours I’d have to put in at the office (yay gender pay gap!). I’m out of ideas. I don’t know where to go from here. 

Btw I’m including personal details bc 1) it clearly doesn’t make a difference anymore and 2) I have not come across many students who are primary caretakers for anyone but themselves. So many have to or choose to put off/sacrifice the personal side of their lives, whether it’s their relationships or families, to pursue this field and others simply have the road “paved in gold,” as you said. I guess I thought from an ideological standpoint, the ONE place that would be supportive of a working mother would be a Sociology dept but alas, nope nope nope. 

59 minutes ago, qualsoc2018 said:

Count me into the 0 acceptances club too, but like I said in an earlier post, I'm basically at peace with the whole thing because now I have the opportunity to pursue other things I'm passionate about that I wouldn't have been able to do in a PhD program due to time constraints 

Dear @qualsoc2018 I seriously admire your incredible positivity and resolve and wish you and @2733amh both success in everything you pursue. 

33 minutes ago, FutureGames said:

Hey everyone,  I've been lurking for weeks and decided to join in. So far, I've gotten into Penn State, Boulder, and Temple.  I've been rejected from Brown and UMN Twin Cities. I've interviewed at Irvine. I'm mainly waiting to hear back from UPenn, Princeton, and UCLA, but I also applied to Arizona, Amherst and Davis and have yet to hear anything. This process is ridiculous. I'm trying to decide between Penn State and Boulder right now, I know the former is a better ranked program but living there sounds like a nightmare. They are courting me pretty hard though, the grad director has called me a few times and she's offered to send my partner's resume around, plus they have sent me all this info about housing and grad life. I haven't talked to anyone at Boulder, just the acceptance and invitation to the recruitment weekend. Anyways, good luck to everyone, I hope you are able to find happiness at the end of all of this.

Congrats! How was the Penn State acceptance? Any idea if all the acceptances are done?

22 minutes ago, Socioeconnut said:

@proctorvt thank you so much for your incredibly thoughtful and heartfelt message.

I’m in my early 30’s and already put aside a career in finance when I got pregnant with my first back in 2014 since I was working on my MA concurrently and saw it as a sign to pursue grad school full time. I was fortunate enough to get a fellowship that covered full scholarship and stipend (which went entirely to help with childcare - babysitters are $20/hr in nyc area and daycare is around $3500/mo.) but it was incredibly hard to do both full time at home with a newborn and grad school. I had my second last year and managed to juggle another newborn with a toddler, a doctoral course (while I deferred the MA offer on maternity leave ), PhD applications, and working remotely on a European study. I figured with all this wind behind the sails, I finally had a fighting chance. With another little one coming in July (we are done after this lol) I don’t have the fight left in me to torture myself and my partner and kids to keep clawing for a space somewhere I’m clearly not wanted.

Without institutional support to get IRB and funding, I have 0 chance of pursuing any more original research. I can try to boost my gre score (162 Q and 158 V) but as another year passes, my entire portfolio will age too while my peers continue to grow and plump up their credentials. Is it conceivable? Depends who you ask. Is it possible? Anything is. Is it probable? We all know there is overwhelming evidence pointing to no. Even going back to finance at this point is fruitless bc the few years out of the game have set me back professionally to a point where the comp won’t even cover the cost of childcare for the insane amount of hours I’d have to put in at the office (yay gender pay gap!). I’m out of ideas. I don’t know where to go from here. 

Btw I’m including personal details bc 1) it clearly doesn’t make a difference anymore and 2) I have not come across many students who are primary caretakers for anyone but themselves. So many have to or choose to put off/sacrifice the personal side of their lives, whether it’s their relationships or families, to pursue this field and others simply have the road “paved in gold,” as you said. I guess I thought from an ideological standpoint, the ONE place that would be supportive of a working mother would be a Sociology dept but alas, nope nope nope. 

I feel your pain.  I am also a primary caregiver of 3 young children.  I've also been accepted no where yet (2 rejections and 4 still pending).  I think most people that get accepted are young, and without children.  Probably you chose where you applied to with the expectation that you couldn't move, yes?  I can't move, so applied to literally every program in my geographic area.  Most young people that are unattached can apply to the program that is a perfect fit for them because they can relocate.

I think your GRE scores are fine, because I've seen a bunch of people get accepted to schools with much lower.  I really think it's about showing off to the committees with your LORs, writing sample, and statement of purpose.  Plus, in the end--if you get rejected--you will have no idea why.  It could be the phrasing of one sentence in your writing sample--who knows.

I can't just be GRE scores that are causing some people to get accepted to many schools at once.  My advice to you--because I'm going to do the same if I get accepted no where--is to flat out call or email one of the schools and ask them how you could have done better (i.e., how you could have gotten accepted).  You'd have nothing to lose.

26 minutes ago, Socioeconnut said:

This post moved me, and I am frustrated by the obstacles that we, in a structural sense, allow parenthood to create. I also deeply admire your grit, courage, and perseverance. I am currently involved in motherhood penalty-related research, and WOW does your situation hit home, especially "I guess I thought from an ideological standpoint, the ONE place that would be supportive of a working mother would be a Sociology dept but alas, nope nope nope."

I obviously don't have influence in the outcomes of this app cycle for you, but I do have tremendous respect, admiration, and frustration for your situation.

I'm also cynical of these programs--I mentioned that I'm a parent of three young children and now am almost regretting it--I won't mention it next year if I'm not accepted anywhere.  I say this because clearly someone with three children will (1) have less time to spend on work than a childless student and (2) will be more likely to be unavailable due to childcare needs.  I know it's not legal for places to *not* accept people because they have children, but it seems too easy for them to reject the person for "some other reason."  I sold myself that I have a 4.0 in masters and close to 4.0 in undergraduate--while at the same time caring for children--but I worry that these committees may be weary of taking on someone with three children when they can just as easily take someone who has none.

Also, I decided to call/email places today.  FYI UMass Boston's sociology program does not expect to have decisions ready until the first week of March--I hope no one else here applied there; I emailed UMass with my name, too, so I hope that doesn't blacklist me there.  Also I got vague answers from Brandeis and Boston college (via phone), mostly because I spoke to the office managers ("ugh...I think they are still deliberating").  Someone else said Boston University will be a couple weeks, but I can't confirm.  Again, I hope no one else here applied to these programs.

4 minutes ago, Want_PHD said:

I'm also cynical of these programs--I mentioned that I'm a parent of three young children and now am almost regretting it--I won't mention it next year if I'm not accepted anywhere.  I say this because clearly someone with three children will (1) have less time to spend on work than a childless student and (2) will be more likely to be unavailable due to childcare needs.  I know it's not legal for places to *not* accept people because they have children, but it seems too easy for them to reject the person for "some other reason."  I sold myself that I have a 4.0 in masters and close to 4.0 in undergraduate--while at the same time caring for children--but I worry that these committees may be weary of taking on someone with three children when they can just as easily take someone who has none.

First off, high five fellow parent. Secondly, to assume that being parent will do anything but contribute to our efficiency, determination and scope of perspective is wildly ignorant. Now I know academics are not exactly the most “Street/life” smart, but sociologists should know better. They should DO BETTER. The reason I was so moved by Columbia was bc it was the first dept I had visited that had installed a changing table in their gender neutral bathroom :) This was such an incredibly low-cost yet highly meaningful gesture to show that, yes, this is a place that accommodates small children. Now maybe it was put there for a faculty member and not a student, but still.. they had me at changing table :) 

You hit the nail on the head, I had to apply locally bc of family obligations. We are also taking care of elderly parents so I would be relocating two sick senior citizens, the primary earner with no replacement income and 3 small children...on a 30k stipend? Riiiiiight ? 

5 minutes ago, Socioeconnut said:

First off, high five fellow parent. Secondly, to assume that being parent will do anything but contribute to our efficiency, determination and scope of perspective is wildly ignorant. Now I know academics are not exactly the most “Street/life” smart, but sociologists should know better. They should DO BETTER. The reason I was so moved by Columbia was bc it was the first dept I had visited that had installed a changing table in their gender neutral bathroom :) This was such an incredibly low-cost yet highly meaningful gesture to show that, yes, this is a place that accommodates small children. Now maybe it was put there for a faculty member and not a student, but still.. they had me at changing table :) 

You hit the nail on the head, I had to apply locally bc of family obligations. We are also taking care of elderly parents so I would be relocating two sick senior citizens, the primary earner with no replacement income and 3 small children...on a 30k stipend? Riiiiiight ? 

I've read that the majority (more than 50%) of graduate students relocate for school.  My current thesis advisor said I'd be a shoe-in for a Bowling Green's program, and he could give me a great LOR.  They are in Ohio, and I'm married with three children--and own a house--in the Boston area.  It's unfortunate, but the childless have a very prominent competitive advantage because they can apply to the best program that meets their research goals.

I also sympathize because--unless you're affiliated with a university--I can't imagine that you'll (1) have access to a library of publications to do research and (2)--if you did have publishable material--you won't be associated with a university, so would unlikely get published because of that.  I've never seen any research article from a person not affiliated with either a university or some research institution/think thank place.  I mention this because I'm worrying about the same thing.  Not to mention how many times can you ask the same people to write LORs?

I've read that the majority (more than 50%) of graduate students relocate for school.  My current thesis advisor said I'd be a shoe-in for a Bowling Green's program, and he could give me a great LOR.  They are in Ohio, and I'm married with three children--and own a house--in the Boston area.  It's unfortunate, but the childless have a very prominent competitive advantage because they can apply to the best program that meets their research goals.

I also sympathize because--unless you're affiliated with a university--I can't imagine that you'll (1) have access to a library of publications to do research and (2)--if you did have publishable material--you won't be associated with a university, so would unlikely get published because of that.  I've never seen any research article from a person not affiliated with either a university or some research institution/think thank place.  I mention this because I'm worrying about the same thing.  Not to mention how many times can you ask the same people to write LORs?

I can't add any more reactions today lol but you just get me. We are living parallel lives in different cities. I sent my thesis to the dean of social science at UC Irvine, who authored the only qualitative study on my research topic (I approached it from a mixed-method, quant focused angle), and have been exchanging ideas and emails for the past 2 years. He cc'd emails to multiple professors in his sociology dept and even asked them to advise/connect me to their alma maters/the best fit east coast schools bc he understood I couldn't relocate everyone to cali..Had I just moved to Irvine, I could have continued working with him! Every acceptance I see to Irvine, I just wince. 

Rejected from Yale, which means I have heard from all 3 of the PhD programs I applied to (with three masters to go). Didn't think that I would make it into a doctoral program straight from undergrad with minimal background in sociology, but so blessed and humbled by the UC Irvine acceptance. I only joined a couple weeks ago, but have had a great time going through this agonizing waiting period with you all.  I wish everybody the best of luck! 

6 minutes ago, Sosoc said:

Fellow mother here and first time posting. Like @Want_PHD and @Socioeconnut I could only apply to local schools. We're homeowners and my husband's job is here so relocating is not possible. This is my first round of applications but I'm also finding it disheartening. 

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, there is still time and in the words of my gf who is a lawyer and first time mom: you are a superhero for even getting the applications together! Seriously. Even the childless female academics know what's up bc their male peers that have kids use the paternity leave to churn out papers while their wives take care of the kids. Academia is still incredibly misogynistic. 

FYI...there are online sociology masters degrees as well, like Sam Houston State, University of New Mexico--I think University of Alabama has one too.  They are masters only, plus you'd have to get a scholarship or secure funding somehow, but you can take a graduate program there while waiting for next year's applications--I don't think you have to enroll full time.  (1) you'd have access to all scholarly publications via their libraries (2) you'd have a chance to build better/stronger LORs.

@Socioeconnut it's not clear, have you been rejected everywhere yet?  If not, the party's not over yet.

Not everywhere but the odds of getting into the other programs is close to 0 bc I don't have as strong of a connection to the remaining three as I did to Columbia. Columbia was my best shot so I deduced if I didn't get in there, there is no way I'm getting into Princeton, MIT or NYU. I also went to NYU for undergrad and grad so the likelihood of getting in for PhD was already a reach since schools rarely admit you for all three. The LOR's are all NYU profs but not the same dept... but you are right, the rejection party is still going strong lol.. 

4 minutes ago, Socioeconnut said:

Not everywhere but the odds of getting into the other programs is close to 0 bc I don't have as strong of a connection to the remaining three as I did to Columbia. Columbia was my best shot so I deduced if I didn't get in there, there is no way I'm getting into Princeton, MIT or NYU. I also went to NYU for undergrad and grad so the likelihood of getting in for PhD was already a reach since schools rarely admit you for all three. The LOR's are all NYU profs but not the same dept... but you are right, the rejection party is still going strong lol.. 

I didn't even know there was a sociology program at MIT--I would have applied (and yes, probably been rejected).  I did *not* apply to Harvard because they don't accept transfer graduate credit--I'm almost done with my master's (in May) but they wouldn't accept it either way (plus, yes, I would likely have been rejected--Brown and Northeastern wouldn' t take me, why would Harvard).

Were you going to do your graduate (or master's) again had you been accepted to Harvard?

10 minutes ago, Want_PHD said:

I didn't even know there was a sociology program at MIT--I would have applied (and yes, probably been rejected).  I did *not* apply to Harvard because they don't accept transfer graduate credit--I'm almost done with my master's (in May) but they wouldn't accept it either way (plus, yes, I would likely have been rejected--Brown and Northeastern wouldn' t take me, why would Harvard).

Were you going to do your graduate (or master's) again had you been accepted to Harvard?

MIT and HBS both have economic sociology in their management phd under the organizational behavior umbrella and harvard sociology works with hbs and mit. I spoke with the head of both programs over email and telephone over the past year as they both found my research topic compelling. mit was surprisingly more responsive this year and the chair actually met with me back in october to discuss my research topic further and advise on how to pitch it in my app. I don't know. I don't know anything anymore. 

I would do a second MA if it was part of a PhD. Doing a terminal MA, like the one offered by Columbia is much harder to justify bc I would use it to apply to PhD programs that will require ANOTHER MA? A third MA? I can't justify that. 

Edited by Socioeconnut
added content

Has anyone applied to Penn State's Rural Soc program and heard back (whether rejected or accepted)?  I've gotten responses from all of my other schools but Penn State (of course the one I want to hear back from desperately)...

was wondering if anyone who has gone the MA route prior to the PhD can offer me some genuine advice? it's not looking like i will garner any PhD acceptances this cycle but i have been accepted to Columbia's MA Sociology program and U Penn's MS Criminology program. In addition, I was accepted at several T15 law schools including my top choice Georgetown Law and i'm also in at Columbia's MSW program. still waiting on PhD decisions from UNC, Emory, Princeton (social policy), Vanderbilt, and NYU but i'm assuming rejections from all of those. 

career/research wise, i'm really interested in crime and deviance study, specifically mass incarceration and sentencing. i am passionate about criminal justice and mass incarceration reform, and i have a special interest in specifically researching the children of incarcerated parents. i have always dreamed of being in a place like DC and pushing for intense advocacy, public policy change, and reform supported by research, and do not foresee myself pursuing a strict academic career. 

i am wondering if anyone has input on which of my options might be best suited for me at this point/thoughts on if doing a masters degree first is worth it in the long run? it seems like many people here have done a masters previously and are still not having any luck in the PhD game so it has made me nervous to invest in the masters degree. i am weary of the financial burden of an MA (and JD for that matter) but i am a Truman Scholar and have a $30,000 award for graduate study in my pocket which would certainly help. again any input would be greatly appreciated, as i have a lot to figure out!! 

4 minutes ago, 2733amh said:

was wondering if anyone who has gone the MA route prior to the PhD can offer me some genuine advice? it's not looking like i will garner any PhD acceptances this cycle but i have been accepted to Columbia's MA Sociology program and U Penn's MS Criminology program. In addition, I was accepted at several T15 law schools including my top choice Georgetown Law and i'm also in at Columbia's MSW program. still waiting on PhD decisions from UNC, Emory, Princeton (social policy), Vanderbilt, and NYU but i'm assuming rejections from all of those. 

career/research wise, i'm really interested in crime and deviance study, specifically mass incarceration and sentencing. i am passionate about criminal justice and mass incarceration reform, and i have a special interest in specifically researching the children of incarcerated parents. i have always dreamed of being in a place like DC and pushing for intense advocacy, public policy change, and reform supported by research, and do not foresee myself pursuing a strict academic career. 

i am wondering if anyone has input on which of my options might be best suited for me at this point/thoughts on if doing a masters degree first is worth it in the long run? it seems like many people here have done a masters previously and are still not having any luck in the PhD game so it has made me nervous to invest in the masters degree. i am weary of the financial burden of an MA (and JD for that matter) but i am a Truman Scholar and have a $30,000 award for graduate study in my pocket which would certainly help. again any input would be greatly appreciated, as i have a lot to figure out!! 

As a preface to all of this advice, if you think that you would use a law degree in your lifetime in any way, go to a T15 law school that you've been accepted to. That is an amazing opportunity. 

If you think about it and you can't see yourself using that law degree and really, genuinely want to go the PhD route in Soc, I would recommend the MA route as a way to gather research experience and pristine LORs. I applied (and was rejected) to Soc PhDs straight out of undergrad, and thought grad school was just a placeholder for me; after 2 years of graduate study, I retook the GRE and was SHOCKED at my verbal improvements, gained some research experience, and made connections I would not have otherwise been able to. It isn't a BAD idea, per se, but you have to keep the final goal in mind the whole time, and it's a bit exhausting. Additionally, a lot of MAs aren't funded--mine wasn't--and woah, was my program expensive. Worth it? To me, yes. But keep all of this in mind. 

18 minutes ago, latemeg said:

As a preface to all of this advice, if you think that you would use a law degree in your lifetime in any way, go to a T15 law school that you've been accepted to. That is an amazing opportunity. 

If you think about it and you can't see yourself using that law degree and really, genuinely want to go the PhD route in Soc, I would recommend the MA route as a way to gather research experience and pristine LORs. I applied (and was rejected) to Soc PhDs straight out of undergrad, and thought grad school was just a placeholder for me; after 2 years of graduate study, I retook the GRE and was SHOCKED at my verbal improvements, gained some research experience, and made connections I would not have otherwise been able to. It isn't a BAD idea, per se, but you have to keep the final goal in mind the whole time, and it's a bit exhausting. Additionally, a lot of MAs aren't funded--mine wasn't--and woah, was my program expensive. Worth it? To me, yes. But keep all of this in mind. 

thank you for this comment! the law degree is one that i think i would certainly use. a lot of nonprofits/think tanks/advocacy groups in the world of criminal justice reform have JD's on their staff, which is why I applied to the law schools when I started all of this. but like you were, i'm straight out of undergrad right now and trying to sort out which path will get me to where i want to ultimately be. i have considered taking the JD acceptance while it is there and seeing where that takes me - say 6 years down the line from now i will still be only 29 years old with a JD and hopefully 3 years of quality professional experience. i guess at that point if i find myself still itching for PhD i would be a much stronger applicant than i am now at least. my GRE is definitely one area that i can improve on, so i am glad to hear you noticed significant improvements after graduate study. i am just struggling to pick a path right now but thankful to at least have these choices despite the PhD not working out 

51 minutes ago, 2733amh said:

I went the MA prior to the Ph.D. route. All I can say is that the best decision I've made. Although I've been rejected 3 times and have 1 acceptance, it made me realize how passionate I am about health disparities and Public Health as a whole. You shouldn't take it personally at this point. You have a well-planned out future that not many have. I, myself, realized that I was being too close-minded by just focusing on Sociology, and realized that my work/academic/research experience is expansive that I can go into Communications & Public Health if funding doesn't go through this year.