Fall 2018 PhD (Social Work/Social Welfare)

I know I got on here way late, (I definitely could have used some of this moral support a month ago), but just wanted to come into the conversation. I have an MSW from Pitt... I think someone said they were applying there?

I applied to University of Chicago, Boston College, Ohio State, and UConn. I am interested in macro, international work, human rights, human trafficking, and policy. It was actually a bit difficult to find professors at schools who have similar interests. 

Anyway, I was rejected at Chicago and Boston, and still waiting for UConn. However, just found out that I was accepted at Ohio State!! :) . Has anyone else applied there? 

5 hours ago, noncompliant94 said:

Same here!! (Well, it's the last combined master's/PhD program I'm waiting on - I did apply to some master's as backups that I haven't even had interviews for yet.) I feel like my whole decision is contingent on this though.

Is UCLA your first choice? I only applied to two schools: UCLA and USC. I received an email yesterday stating that I’m considered a “finalist” for USC and will be interviewing next month. Still waiting for UCLA though! 

6 hours ago, DisasterBin said:

Columbia University just replied my email inquiring the time of decision announcement. They will send out the decision by early March.

By the way, has anyone heard anything from Umich recently?

Hello~ 

I asked Umich yesterday and they replied "the decisions are being recently made and will be announced soon..."

Frankly speaking, Im not sure whether Umich really needs more time to make decisions or just....you know....(is it possible they already had the final decisions but still express the decisions are on the process?) ya, I'm anxious...

1 hour ago, Anything4Salinas said:

Is UCLA your first choice? I only applied to two schools: UCLA and USC. I received an email yesterday stating that I’m considered a “finalist” for USC and will be interviewing next month. Still waiting for UCLA though! 

It really depends on funding. I've been offered full funding for an interdisciplinary PhD program at the University of South Florida, and that program's faculty is extremely aligned with my research interests. But, they don't have a clinical master's, and I'd really like the ability to practice clinically/gain clinical skills in addition to my research. But if UCLA can't guarantee the same level of funding, then I'm not sure it would be worth it since the cost of living in LA is so high...

Congrats on getting an interview at USC! Do you have a preference between USC and UCLA? Are you applying to the combined master's/Phd program or do you already have your MSW?

20 minutes ago, royerful0 said:

Hello~ 

I asked Umich yesterday and they replied "the decisions are being recently made and will be announced soon..."

Frankly speaking, Im not sure whether Umich really needs more time to make decisions or just....you know....(is it possible they already had the final decisions but still express the decisions are on the process?) ya, I'm anxious...

I think they have announced the acceptances; perhaps, they need more time to compose the waitlisted. 

4 minutes ago, DisasterBin said:

I think they have announced the acceptances; perhaps, they need more time to compose the waitlisted. 

If it were true, another waiting game would start and we have to wait it for long long time.....

Did you apply for other programs in addition to Umich, WUSTL, and BC?

20 minutes ago, royerful0 said:

If it were true, another waiting game would start and we have to wait it for long long time.....

Did you apply for other programs in addition to Umich, WUSTL, and BC?

I applied for these three schools with strong international resources and Columbia.

8 hours ago, SocialW said:

Accepted to Minnesota-Twin Cities PhD in Social Work Program! SO excited :)

HI @SocialW,

Congrats!! Me also got the offer yesterday!! Are you taking the offer? It seems that the offer package is  lower than previous years, according to the feedback from current students. 

6 hours ago, mf2854 said:

I know I got on here way late, (I definitely could have used some of this moral support a month ago), but just wanted to come into the conversation. I have an MSW from Pitt... I think someone said they were applying there?

I applied to University of Chicago, Boston College, Ohio State, and UConn. I am interested in macro, international work, human rights, human trafficking, and policy. It was actually a bit difficult to find professors at schools who have similar interests. 

Anyway, I was rejected at Chicago and Boston, and still waiting for UConn. However, just found out that I was accepted at Ohio State!! :) . Has anyone else applied there? 

Go Buckeyes!

Congrats on the offer!! We may become classmates this fall. I think I am about to take up the offer. :)

Good morning, 

I’m late to the forum, unfortunately. All of the support during this arduous process would have been welcomed! I have already been accepted at the University of Georgia - full tuition, assistantship, and stipend. I have an interview at University of Houston tomorrow ?. Denied from UT- Austin. Haven’t heard anything from any of my other schools, which is starting to make me nervous. I applied to a LOT of schools. 

UMich, UNC-CH, UCLA, USC, ASU, Fordham, FSU (UMich and USC seem to have already made decisions so I’m just waiting on confirmation of rejection). 

Edited by JesstDoIt

6 minutes ago, SocialResearcher said:

Hope you get off there!

At this point I just wish I got an answer. this process is completely exhausting and I am so sick of waiting (untill april 15th now). I don't think many people are going to decline their acceptance to WashU, but I am sure it's happened. 

17 hours ago, noncompliant94 said:

It really depends on funding. I've been offered full funding for an interdisciplinary PhD program at the University of South Florida, and that program's faculty is extremely aligned with my research interests. But, they don't have a clinical master's, and I'd really like the ability to practice clinically/gain clinical skills in addition to my research. But if UCLA can't guarantee the same level of funding, then I'm not sure it would be worth it since the cost of living in LA is so high...

Congrats on getting an interview at USC! Do you have a preference between USC and UCLA? Are you applying to the combined master's/Phd program or do you already have your MSW?

Congratulations on your acceptance and offer from University of South Florida!! :D Cost of living in LA is high, but it becomes more affordable in surrounding areas. Funding is such a huge factor in deciding which school to attend so I hope UCLA gives a comparable offer so you can choose freely without having to worry about $$$!

Thank you! I have my heart set on USC so I’m hoping I do well on the interview. I’m really nervous about it... I received my MSW from WashU so this is the final step in my academic journey!