MPH CANADA FALL 2012 APPLICANTS

niche22

Just joined...seen all the threads.

I had my interview and was recommended by the department last week by UofA and was told to expect a feed back from them sometimes in the coming week. Contrats to all that have got to their dream institutions.

For members who were accepted to UofA, did you all have interviews? I was never contacted for one, but received an offer of admission and I am now starting to get concerned that maybe I missed an email or something!

Congrats! I wouldn't worry about it if the end result was still an offer of admission.

Hah I knew you'd go for UofT. See you there:)

I will be rejecting UBC, LSHTM, and Oxford for those wait-listed. Best of luck!

Thanks Dr. P for all your help! I am so excited!! See you there :)))

Hi everyone,

Last week I received an email from UofT stating that I had been recommended for acceptance to the MPH (Health Promotion) program and today I received an email from SGS asking for my official paper transcript. My application status on the SGS website has also changed to "Decision Made".

Has anyone experienced something similar to this? I'm hoping that this is leaning towards good news!

Hi everyone,

Last week I received an email from UofT stating that I had been recommended for acceptance to the MPH (Health Promotion) program and today I received an email from SGS asking for my official paper transcript. My application status on the SGS website has also changed to "Decision Made".

Has anyone experienced something similar to this? I'm hoping that this is leaning towards good news!

Hey SMK17, it means you are in for sure, welcome:) When you're recommended you have to be approved by the SGS and they issue the official offer letter. When they approve your file (as they almost always do when you've been recommended by the dept.), they issue a conditional acceptance based on the condition of seeing your official transcripts before classes begin. You'll get an official letter in the mail in a few days or you can email Sandra Lang and she will send you a .pdf of the package. You have to sign something saying you'll go and send your official transcripts. But you're in! See you in Sept!

Edited by dr.p

Hi everyone,

Hi smk17,

Congrats! It definitely sounds like you're in! Did you receive an email before that stating that you were waitlisted?

I'm still waiting to hear back.

Hey SMK17, it means you are in for sure, welcome:) When you're recommended you have to be approved by the SGS and they issue the official offer letter. When they approve your file (as they almost always do when you've been recommended by the dept.), they issue a conditional acceptance based on the condition of seeing your official transcripts before classes begin. You'll get an official letter in the mail in a few days or you can email Sandra Lang and she will send you a .pdf of the package. You have to sign something saying you'll go and send your official transcripts. But you're in! See you in Sept!

Thank you dr. p! That information was very helpful :) Once and if I have an official offer in my hands I will be very happy and accepting immediately!

Hi smk17,

Congrats! It definitely sounds like you're in! Did you receive an email before that stating that you were waitlisted?

I'm still waiting to hear back.

Hi ellio - yes I was waitlisted and a few days later was notified of a recommendation from the department! They must be doing admissions on a rolling basis as spots open up - if you contact the school maybe they'd be able to give you an idea of where you are on the list. Good luck!

Thank you dr. p! That information was very helpful :) Once and if I have an official offer in my hands I will be very happy and accepting immediately!

Hi ellio - yes I was waitlisted and a few days later was notified of a recommendation from the department! They must be doing admissions on a rolling basis as spots open up - if you contact the school maybe they'd be able to give you an idea of where you are on the list. Good luck!

Thanks smk17, and that's great, very happy for you!

Hii Everyone,

It has been great and fun sharing and reading from all of you. I received my official acceptance into SFU for my MPH in Environmental and Occupational Health yesterday. I am wishing all the best for those still waiting for their offers or to make their final decision.

For those already accepted to SFU i believe we shall have a great academic year for i am looking forward for September.

@Linten, are you finally decided on pursuing SFU?

I officially declined my SFU offer for the Environmental and Occupational Health stream last week. I've been accpeted at McGill and Queen's, which are both a better fit for me than SFU, so my final decision will be between the two. All the best for your studies at SFU!

@ Ironman: Basically a professional program like MPH, MPA etc means the students interest is work oriented ie the student is more interested in working (public, private corporations etc) than in research in the field and the Academia.

The Msc means that the student is Research oriented, is geared towards researching in the field, going on to Phd, becoming a Prof and teaching in the academia.

Please note that an MPH holder can get into the Public Health PhD Program with his MPH in SOME schools while the MSc holder can get into the Public Health PhD program with his MSc in ALL schools.

That's the basic fact about both degrees. Hope I helped a little at least.

Friends, Peeps I just got off SFU's waitlist. I've been recommended to the DGS for admission into MPH Global Health. I just have to wait for the official offer. Am so overjoyed, happy, over the moon ... Just fill in the gaps.

Edited by Ginnie

Friends, Peeps I just off SFU's waitlist. I've been recommended to the DGS for admission into MPH Global Health. I just have to wait for the official offer. Am so overjoyed, happy, over the moon ... Just fill in the dots.

Someone will get a spot at Waterloo My rejection to their offer was just officially removed. Best of luck

Hi MPHopeful,

When did you reject your offer and how long did it take to be officially removed? I'm waiting anxiously to hear back from them!

Hi MPHopeful,

When did you reject your offer and how long did it take to be officially removed? I'm waiting anxiously to hear back from them!

I sent it about 2 weeks ago or even more. I emailed them 2 days ago to remind them cause I never heard back and they forwarded my message to someone who officially removed it just today. Goodluck!

For those of you who got accepted to UofT and were asked to send in official transcripts... after you sent it in did you hear back with a firm acceptance rather than a conditional one? I'm still a bit hesitant to reject another school before I get that firm acceptance. What do you guys think?

Just got off the waitlist for SFU. And was just notified today that I am on the waitlist for Memorial University. So 1 spot opens up for SFU and if Memorial comes in that will open up to. Best of luck everyone.

@ Ironman: Basically a professional program like MPH, MPA etc means the students interest is work oriented ie the student is more interested in working (public, private corporations etc) than in research in the field and the Academia.

The Msc means that the student is Research oriented, is geared towards researching in the field, going on to Phd, becoming a Prof and teaching in the academia.

Please note that an MPH holder can get into the Public Health PhD Program with his MPH in SOME schools while the MSc holder can get into the Public Health PhD program with his MSc in ALL schools.

That's the basic fact about both degrees. Hope I helped a little at least.

Thanks for the response Ginnie! So will MSc holders have more difficulty landing jobs outside of academia/research?

Also does anyone have any news about the HRM program at McMaster. I haven't heard anything from them since I submitted the application. Should I be worried?

Edited by ironman

Thanks for the response Ginnie! So will MSc holders have more difficulty landing jobs outside of academia/research?

Also does anyone have any news about the HRM program at McMaster. I haven't heard anything from them since I submitted the application. Should I be worried?

sent you a PM.

Just got off the waitlist for SFU. And was just notified today that I am on the waitlist for Memorial University. So 1 spot opens up for SFU and if Memorial comes in that will open up to. Best of luck everyone.

Hi, Did you get post mail or email from memorial university? Thanks.