2012 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

InquilineKea

Which program at OSU did you apply to? I know people that have heard from IGBP and the Biochemistry department, but I'm still waiting on word from MCDB. I contacted them and got a reply that I'd hear "anytime between now and late March."

I applied to the IGBP. According to the website my application is still in review, but I am starting to think it may not work out since I know people have heard from them. Same with Case Western. I'm a little sad about OSU since I did an internship there and one of my recommendations was from a PI there, granted he is in the Plant Pathology department.

I just emailed the IGBP at the Ohio State University and they said they are still reviewing and sending out invitations. There is still hope!

Case Western's BSTP AdCom is still reviewing too. They haven't finished sending invites for the final two weekends yet. Good luck!

Rejection from Rockefeller

"Your record is excellent, but competition

for our program was especially intense this year. Consequently, we are

not able to offer you admission.

Regrettably, every year we are unable to accept many qualified

candidates due to limited space and resources.Regrettably, every year we are unable to accept many qualified

candidates due to limited space and resources."

Generic mail for rejection.

Edited by Sulay Patel

Did it really say that last sentence twice?

What happens if you apply with an absolutely terrible record? Normally they're a little more generic, probably for that reason. "We've received hundreds of extremely qualified applications [implyingbutnotstatingthatyou'reoneofthem]."

Did it really say that last sentence twice?

What happens if you apply with an absolutely terrible record? Normally they're a little more generic, probably for that reason. "We've received hundreds of extremely qualified applications [implyingbutnotstatingthatyou'reoneofthem]."

Guess some dedicated gradcafe-ers will have to submit a dummy application and see!

Official Rejection from Weill Cornell. Have to say, Rockefeller's generic email sounds a lot nicer:

I regret to inform you, that the Admissions Committee has not recommended the acceptance of your application for admission. I am sure you understand that our programs receive many more applicants than we can hope to place.

We wish you the best of luck in the future.

Guess some dedicated gradcafe-ers will have to submit a dummy application and see!

Hmm...maybe someone could find a friend with a major in a completely unrelated field (18th Century Poetry? Yeah, I just made that up) to send in an application. We'd have to make sure the person didn't have a strong mathematical background, and had no coursework in biology/chemistry/etc. That way no one who was actually interested would have their name sullied with the fake application. I'd definitely help pay the fee for this experiment.

Hmm...maybe someone could find a friend with a major in a completely unrelated field (18th Century Poetry? Yeah, I just made that up) to send in an application. We'd have to make sure the person didn't have a strong mathematical background, and had no coursework in biology/chemistry/etc. That way no one who was actually interested would have their name sullied with the fake application. I'd definitely help pay the fee for this experiment.

i love scientists. we must analyze everything :-D

on another note...thank you soo much helicase for letting us know case western is still sending out invites! That is actually one of my top choices.

My friend was admitted to the UCSF TETRAD program last year and she said they admitted about 70-75% of interviewees. Seems like a good number to me. Good luck!

Difficult to say. With the increase in number of applications this year, we've invited 30 more people than last year (for a total of 90 people) to interview. However, the target class size (typically around 25) is unlikely to increase. I would predict ~60 admission spots?

Edited by Krypton

Difficult to say. With the increase in number of applications this year, we've invited 30 more people than last year (for a total of 90 people) to interview. However, the target class size (typically around 25) is unlikely to increase. I would predict ~60 admission spots?

Wow, so does this mean that essentially everyone who interviewed last year at TETRAD was offered a spot?

Alright, I will try to round up funding for some control applications. Let's meet back here in Septermber.

Undergrad Institution: Utah Valley University

Major(s): Biotechnology

Minor(s):

GPA in Major: 3.5

Overall GPA: 3.5

Position in Class: Middle

Type of Student: White dude lol

GRE Scores (revised/old version):

Q: 70

V: 70

W:

B:

Research Experience: 1 year of molecular evolution work and 1 semester protein work

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Couple of times on deans list

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Academic tutor, 4 years pharmacy technician work

Applying to Where: Utah State University and Wyoming University

I just got accepted to Wyoming University for their MCLS program today. Hope my average stats give some other people hope too.

Acceptance at Vandy! Still waiting on WashU....

...I have four Skype interview for Emory on Monday and Tuesday...leave for Johns Hopkins on Wednesday, interview at their CMM program on Thursday, the CMDB program on Friday and try to speak to people from Human Genetics on Wednesday evening/any time during my stay...leave on Saturday and host an engagement party in NC on Saturday evening.

Wish me luck??

Wow, so does this mean that essentially everyone who interviewed last year at TETRAD was offered a spot?

Last year, 56 out of 60 interviewees were accepted.

For situations like this, are schools generally prepared to offer all 60 people acceptances if they deserve them? Presumably, there is something "wrong" with the 4 who weren't extended offers. Frequently people suggest that some folks simply didn't match up to their statements or had an interesting story like vomiting on a professor's carpet. I'm sure not every interview weekend is this exciting. So is it sometimes actually a matter of not accepting the 4 least qualified candidates?

That sounds just cruel for the four that didn't get accepted... I hope they don't know those stats.

Got an email from a POI at my dream school (/the only school I applied this season)

"Don’t worry, preserve those nails, I can’t officially say you are in, but.... You are in a really good place with very strong support! "

I'm half squeeeeeeeeeeee-ing on the inside, and half worrying it's some cruel jape to get my hopes up only to crush them with a cruel rejection letter. Like, "Yeah, you were so close, but in the end we decided not to take you. Sorry. Lulz."

Done with my UCSF Tetrad interview and starting to worry about my acceptance chances. Guess it's back to the waiting game. If anyone has any info, I'd be glad to hear it, although I will probably contact the department on Monday.

Edited by greenertea

greenertea, I was told by a professor on the admissions committee that their meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, so don't worry if you haven't heard back before then!

Good luck, and I hope you enjoyed your visit! :)