WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

9 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I've officially been accepted to all 12 schools I applied for.

On the results search, I said something on the order of "Step 1 of success: have vagina"
So now I am referred to as "the vagina below".

COOL

Congratulation :D Looking at your lovely green signature always provides me motivation :D

3 minutes ago, raaawr said:

Congrats @iloveOM! :)

Thank you and good luck @raaawr !

I'm starting to get nervous again. All of the accepted Cornell STS applicants reported here on grad cafe in years past were in February (with a lot of rejections going into March). 

I have about a week left. The rest of my programs are far easier to get accepted into compared to Cornell, so I'm not even sure if I'm competitive there.

Edited by Neist
For clarification.

Hey all, I've been lurking for a few days and figured posting might be a better distraction than refreshing this page. Refreshing my email is enough for now...

I heard back so far from only one school, for a master's program (pure math) and was accepted with tuition+stipend! Except I don't actually want to go there, it's my back-up- I applied to 10 other schools, all PhD, and the waiting is starting to drive me nuts.

*sigh* just a couple more weeks before I can start actually considering where I will end up!

Beginning to think I shouldn't have wasted money applying. Out of 6 schools, the 2 least competitive came back with a rejection. One was the school I did my undergrad at. I know I'll be drinking the rest of my Glenlivet tonight.

I got an acceptance letter today. It's a form letter. It says  "              Surname" so essentially there is a giant blank followed by my last name. Given that my last name is not that common, I feel safe in continuing with the assumption that it's meant for me. It did come to my email address. If someone with the same last name and first initial applied and is using a Yahoo email address, well…. 

No takesy-backsies. 

Seriously, though I'm convinced that this feeling of waiting won't end until I'm sitting in a class or something. It's like I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop. 

Anyone heard from the below?

Penn State - Philosophy, Syracuse - Cultural Foundations of Education, Villanova - Philosophy, Rutgers - Education, CUNY - Philosophy?

Spending my time reading all of the journal articles as if I'm already in.

1 minute ago, dirk150 said:

Beginning to think I shouldn't have wasted money applying. Out of 6 schools, the 2 least competitive came back with a rejection. One was the school I did my undergrad at. I know I'll be drinking the rest of my Glenlivet tonight.

It's not uncommon for people to be rejected from many, if not all, of their 'safe' programs, only to get accepted to their top choice. 

Don't give up hope yet!

Just now, Demeter said:

I got an acceptance letter today. It's a form letter. It says  "              Surname" so essentially there is a giant blank followed by my last name. Given that my last name is not that common, I feel safe in continuing with the assumption that it's meant for me. It did come to my email address. If someone with the same last name and first initial applied and is using a Yahoo email address, well…. 

No takesy-backsies. 

Seriously, though I'm convinced that this feeling of waiting won't end until I'm sitting in a class or something. It's like I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop. 

Congrats! A little odd-sounding, but hey, you gotta take what you can. :) 

And I agree. I think part of the anxiousness for me isn't waiting to hear application decisions. These applications represent a future path of my life, and I want to be on whatever that path is, not waiting to be on that path. I want to look into apartments. I want to start planning budgets. I want to contact programs with more depth.

I don't want to be waiting. 

@Neist I think you are totally correct. I really just want to know where my life is heading. As of now, it could go in five or six nearly divergent directions, and the program I end up attending will define the choices that I'm able to make in the future.

You know what I'm really looking forward to?

Making a degree plan checklist. I've made one based off of the plan for each degree I have, and keeping track of notes and grades and research progress is important for me. I just want to make one and stick it in the back of my planner. 

And it does sound odd! I wish that the emails were a bit more polished. I know it's a silly concern, but it shakes my confidence in what is a solid program. 

Edited by Demeter

I also think this is probably the case for everyone here, regardless if a person gets any acceptances or a dozen. Once all schools have responded, you know your options, which means one can with make decisions about one's future with confidence.

Right now I have one funded offer, and the numbers are probably against me getting any other funded offers. My rational brain wants to plan to attend that program, but I don't want to waste effort if any other program is possible.

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I've officially been accepted to all 12 schools I applied for.

On the results search, I said something on the order of "Step 1 of success: have vagina"
So now I am referred to as "the vagina below".

COOL

Well, "step 1 of success: have vagina in a hard science field"  (That sounds mildly dirty.)

Having a vagina in a social science/humanities field isn't really a big boost. ;-)

@nevermind I took it more as in "having a vagina is awesome" vs it giving any kind of boost. Sort of like, Tina Fey's "Bitches get stuff done…" saying. Because it is, and mostly, we do get stuff done.  Or Betty White's admonition that we should all grow vaginas because they're tough.

At least in my opinion. Also, Betty White is amazing. 

Edited by Demeter
To add that Betty White is Amazing.

I just got accepted into my top choice school!!!! I'm moving to Pennsylvania in the Fall! Thank you all for keeping me sane during this process. Finally, after several years of trying to get into a PhD program, I finally have. 

7 minutes ago, Cat_Robutt said:

I just got accepted into my top choice school!!!! I'm moving to Pennsylvania in the Fall! Thank you all for keeping me sane during this process. Finally, after several years of trying to get into a PhD program, I finally have. 

Congratulations! :D 

22 minutes ago, Cat_Robutt said:

Well done :D Congratulation! Another good new is that you can spend the weekend to celebrate :D

7 minutes ago, raaawr said:

congrats @Cat_Robutt:)

meanwhile in raaawrville *crickets* lol!

I'm sort of jumping out of my skin. Cornell is definitely one of my top choices, and it is by far the most prestigious program I applied to. There's been two acceptances posted in the last two years. Both of which were on Fridays, and they fell on Feb. 18 and Feb. 20.

I'm glad to have a funded offer, but none of the other programs I applied to carry the career-making gravity that Cornell STS has.

58 minutes ago, Cat_Robutt said:

Congratulations!!!

As someone who has lived in PA all her life, I welcome you to PA with open arms!

Where in PA will you be located?

Let me know if you need any PA tips and tricks. Like, Lancaster is pronounced "LANK-ah-ster" rather than "LAN-caster," Lebanon is pronounced "LEB-nin" rather than how it's spelled, etc. Lebanon bologna, Tastykake, Middleswarth chips, Farm Show milkshakes ... I'll let you in on all the secrets.

30 minutes ago, Neist said:

I'm sort of jumping out of my skin. Cornell is definitely one of my top choices, and it is by far the most prestigious program I applied to. There's been two acceptances posted in the last two years. Both of which were on Fridays, and they fell on Feb. 18 and Feb. 20.

I'm glad to have a funded offer, but none of the other programs I applied to carry the career-making gravity that Cornell STS has.

@Neist Will you contact them if you don't hear by the end of day today?

@raaawr Crickets are full of protein...? Do you have something to look forward to over the weekend?

Just now, Cat_Robutt said:

@Neist Will you contact them if you don't hear by the end of day today?

Probably not until after next week, but definitely soon.

It's getting to a point in which I need to consider my offers seriously. I need to know what's on the table.

1 minute ago, gingin6789 said:

Congratulations!!!

As someone who has lived in PA all her life, I welcome you to PA with open arms!

Where in PA will you be located?

Let me know if you need any PA tips and tricks. Like, Lancaster is pronounced "LANK-ah-ster" rather than "LAN-caster," Lebanon is pronounced "LEB-nin" rather than how it's spelled, etc. Lebanon bologna, Tastykake, Middleswarth chips, Farm Show milkshakes ... I'll let you in on all the secrets.

Thanks! I will be in State College, at Penn State. My dad is actually from Lancaster; he was Amish...but I know next to nothing about the area and would love any and all tips and tricks, like how to dress, places to visit!

@Cat_Robutt sweet! I did my BA in Lancaster! Great place! 

State College is a ways away from Lancaster. The main thing to know is just how seriously PA takes Penn State!!! It's a huge school, and alums who meet each other by chance long after their college days are over will bond instantly with each other because of Penn State.

My mom and my sister's BF are both Penn State alums. 

I will definitely be sending you a PM later! Gotta go for now though!

Again, CONGRATULATIONS!!!