Genetic Counseling Fall 2017 Applicants

KT123

13 minutes ago, Gadgette said:

Time to take yourself out for a nice dinner or get a massage or something! 

1 hour ago, Blizzard said:

To add to make an even better week, I had a chance to buy back my first car last night. Called the kid this morning to make an offer, because hey I just found out I'm not going to grad school for at least another year and so I have the money now, and he sold it literally as I was leaving the voicemail. 

So I'm not really sure how the last 6-7 days could get any better. 

I second the self-care thing, do something for yourself, to take care of your needs! It can feel really personal when schools reject you, but it might just have been the wrong timing for you! (the Augustana director wrote me last year after rejection that some of the best GCs he knows have had to go thru 2 or 3 application cycles...)

Sending comforting hugs!

2 hours ago, Blizzard said:

Well, the official utah rejection letters are out now. Andddddd with that, that's a wrap on my applications for the cycle! 0/3. Not even an interview :(

@Blizzard I am so, so sorry to hear that. I know it really hurts. It happened to me two years ago. Applied to three places, rejected w/o a single interview.  It sucks.  

As Lorelai would say, I think what you really need to do today is wallow.  Definitely what @raindaywoman said about self-care..., do something for yourself that helps you to de-stress and feel valued.  It's hard not to take every rejection personally, but it's such a numbers game... there are so many qualified applicants, but the programs are tiny, and they can't possibly interview every qualified applicant.

When you're ready to think about the future, you should definitely reach out to the program directors (after the admissions cycle is complete) to see if there are any areas of your application that could be strengthened. It sounds like you have excellent advocacy experience as an academic advisor.  Maybe there is another area of your application that could use a little polishing?   

As many people have said, lots of GCs have taken multiple admissions cycles to find the right program.  You have a whole year to make yourself into the best possible applicant! Work on any areas of your app that may be weaker than the rest, and get some more shadowing experience in. Next year, apply to a few more programs if you are able to, especially the ones with larger class sizes (Sarah Lawrence, Arcadia).  Every program is looking for something different, so it doesn't hurt to cast your net wide.

Hang in there! We are all sending positive thoughts your way!

Edited by metabolismo

2 hours ago, metabolismo said:

@Blizzard I am so, so sorry to hear that. I know it really hurts. It happened to me two years ago. Applied to three places, rejected w/o a single interview.  It sucks.  

As Lorelai would say, I think what you really need to do today is wallow.  Definitely what @raindaywoman said about self-care..., do something for yourself that helps you to de-stress and feel valued.  It's hard not to take every rejection personally, but it's such a numbers game... there are so many qualified applicants, but the programs are tiny, and they can't possibly interview every qualified applicant.

When you're ready to think about the future, you should definitely reach out to the program directors (after the admissions cycle is complete) to see if there are any areas of your application that could be strengthened. It sounds like you have excellent advocacy experience as an academic advisor.  Maybe there is another area of your application that could use a little polishing?   

As many people have said, lots of GCs have taken multiple admissions cycles to find the right program.  You have a whole year to make yourself into the best possible applicant! Work on any areas of your app that may be weaker than the rest, and get some more shadowing experience in. Next year, apply to a few more programs if you are able to, especially the ones with larger class sizes (Sarah Lawrence, Arcadia).  Every program is looking for something different, so it doesn't hurt to cast your net wide.

Hang in there! We are all sending positive thoughts your way!

Sorry to hijack your post (as it was really sweet and informative), but can I ask when you heard from Pittsburgh?  Are they done sending interview invites at this point?

4 minutes ago, Gorays39 said:

Sorry to hijack your post (as it was really sweet and informative), but can I ask when you heard from Pittsburgh?  Are they done sending interview invites at this point?

I haven't heard anything from Pittsburgh either. Slowly going insane over here.

On 2/9/2017 at 3:34 PM, GC20171 said:

I have PDFs of each chapter, if anyone's interested!

Hi!  I was wondering if you would be willing to send me the PDFs?  I am interested in reading them before interviews! Thank you very much.  My email is katies107@yahoo.com

:)

28 minutes ago, Gorays39 said:

They emailed me Jan 25th.  @Gadgette have you tried contacting the program? If you are really going crazy, you could reach out to the coordinator to ask for an update on your application, she is extremely nice and usually responds quickly.

5 minutes ago, metabolismo said:

They emailed me Jan 25th.  @Gadgette have you tried contacting the program? If you are really going crazy, you could reach out to the coordinator to ask for an update on your application, she is extremely nice and usually responds quickly.

Insane may be a bit hyperbolic, but news would be nice. I was giving it until mid week this week before contacting them. I've emailed the program regarding letters and application questions and they've been really great! 

38 minutes ago, SJMcGC said:

I was so confused why it was complete silence yesterday! Let the waiting commence....!

It was kind of crazy, the entire forum was silent! 

Only news I received yesterday was another rejected from Denver, but like Stanford this was expected as I do not have their prereqs completed. Oh well. I am about to head over to meet and shadow the prenatal genetic counselor I mentioned previously! I am so excited! 

I also received a rejection from UC Denver yesterday. I expected it, but it's too bad - Denver is a pretty cool city. I really want to hear back from BU one way or the other so that I can book a flight to Boston already.  

I had this idea in my mind that I needed five interviews to feel somewhat 'safe', like, to have a reasonable assurance that I will get into grad school somewhere next year, and it's looking like that is not going to happen. That, of course, doesn't mean I have no chance - I only need to get into one school - but I can't feel optimistic. I wish there was a way to not give this process so much of my emotional energy, especially when there is a decent chance I'll have to do it again next year.

68 more days.

Any Canadian applicants hear back from Toronto or McGill yet? :) I'm so happy I've discovered this forum. It has been awesome/comforting/motivational to read about everyone's application experience! I wish you all the best of luck!

26 minutes ago, Gc1993 said:

Any Canadian applicants hear back from Toronto or McGill yet? :) I'm so happy I've discovered this forum. It has been awesome/comforting/motivational to read about everyone's application experience! I wish you all the best of luck!

Still nothing from Toronto or McGill on my end!

Hi all! I am new to this forum - I've been following it for about a week, but decided it's about time I post something.

Congratulations to those of you who have been offered interviews! And I'm sorry and can empathize with those of you who didn't receive any interviews. I applied to 3 programs last year and did not receive any interviews, so I know how it feels! :(

For those that have mentioned not hearing back from UofT yet, I also haven't heard anything either way (interview or rejection). I was offered an interview at UBC and signed up in the online poll, but my date and time has not yet been confirmed either. I emailed them today to find out when they will send out confirmations. 

18 minutes ago, Cricket643 said:

Hi all! I am new to this forum - I've been following it for about a week, but decided it's about time I post something.

Congratulations to those of you who have been offered interviews! And I'm sorry and can empathize with those of you who didn't receive any interviews. I applied to 3 programs last year and did not receive any interviews, so I know how it feels! :(

For those that have mentioned not hearing back from UofT yet, I also haven't heard anything either way (interview or rejection). I was offered an interview at UBC and signed up in the online poll, but my date and time has not yet been confirmed either. I emailed them today to find out when they will send out confirmations. 

Im in the same boat for UBC. Let me know what they say! :) 

5 hours ago, AspiringGC said:

Oh yay! The board is working again! 

This makes so much sense.  It's become part of my morning routine to check this board, and I was wondering why no one had posted anything yesterday.

Looks like some people have heard back form Univ of Pitt, I'm assuming by now that I didn't get in, but I haven't gotten a rejection email (I've even checked spam). Is anyone else still waiting on it?

Also, UT Houston just sent out some interview emails. I choose March 30th, is anyone going to interview that day?

Edited by atx09

I'm about to book my flight to New York for the Sarah Lawrence interview.  I'm doing the afternoon interview on the 7th if anyone else will also be there that same day! My flight leaves Chicago at 5:45AM to go to New York and then my return flight is at 10PM that same day.  Going to be such a long day!  Just getting to the airport from my place is an hour and a half train ride, which is nice because it's only $2.50 to take the train.  I might just pay $30 for a cab though which is only a 40 minute ride.  I've never been to New York, so I was thinking this will give me some time to check out the city for a least a little bit.  Maybe grab some dinner or something.

18 minutes ago, atx09 said:

Looks like some people have heard back form Univ of Pitt, I'm assuming by now that I didn't get in, but I haven't gotten a rejection email (I've even checked spam). Is anyone else still waiting on it?

Also, UT Houston just sent out some interview emails. I choose March 30th, is anyone going to interview that day?

I emailed them yesterday to ask, ready to hear that I had been rejected. They are hoping to send out the rest of the interview invitations this week! They've sent out less than half at this point.

4 minutes ago, Elisheva said:

Who do you contact when you contact the programs? If it's the directors, they don't get frustrated you're emailing at such a busy time? I want to reach out to SLC because I haven't heard anything but I don't know how they'll react...

I usually just call whatever number they have listed on their website for contact information.  A lot of times that does end up being the director's number.  Other times it's an administrative person.  I've never had them seem frustrated when I call.  I've found that it's usually difficult to get through to them on the phone though, so I usually just stick to emailing.