Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2017 admissions

MSW&MD

On 11/1/2016 at 3:06 PM, jaylynn said:

Hey all, 

For those applying to Windsor's Advanced Standing program, is anyone else familiar with how eGAS works? 

It says my references won't be notified until I submit everything else, but what if I can't complete everything before December 1 (the deadline). 

My mind is spinning with confusion. 

Hey @jaylynn this isn't directly related to your question but I was wondering how you got your eGAS up & running? I'm having trouble setting up both my eGAS & OUAC accounts for Windsor & the help line person wasn't very helpful! 

On 11/8/2016 at 4:51 PM, riaveda said:

Hey @jaylynn this isn't directly related to your question but I was wondering how you got your eGAS up & running? I'm having trouble setting up both my eGAS & OUAC accounts for Windsor & the help line person wasn't very helpful! 

Hey @riaveda that's so annoying! Are you applying to the two year or advanced standing program? I know when the application wasn't up yet for the advanced standing, OUAC wouldn't let me create an account. As for setting up eGAS, I just followed the instructions provided in a confirmation email from Windsor. It worked for me no problem, but if you did receive instructions, what part of it isn't working for you?

On November 2, 2016 at 8:01 PM, socialwerq said:

Hey there! I'm interested in the UBCO program because of its clinical focus. I have 2 quick questions:

1) Does the program run through the summer? I saw that it is divided into 3 terms but was not sure if the summer term would end in August or June or some other time.

2) The schedule on the website looks like the practicum ends and then you take an additional 3-4 electives afterward? Just trying to clarify.

P.S. I would be applying for advanced standing. Thanks!

Hi socialwerq!  

1) I am in the Foundational 2 year program, but I'm pretty sure it would be the same ... The program does run through the summer, but there are 2 summer terms you can choose from.  Fall semester is Sept-Dec, Winter is Jan-Apr and then you can do a summer course in either May/June OR Jul/Aug 

2) I am actually not sure about that, but it's definitely possible you would do a couple of courses during the summer term.  To clarify on that question you can email Marilyn Gale at marilyn.gale@ubc.ca :) 

On 11/11/2016 at 9:12 AM, jaylynn said:

Hey @riaveda that's so annoying! Are you applying to the two year or advanced standing program? I know when the application wasn't up yet for the advanced standing, OUAC wouldn't let me create an account. As for setting up eGAS, I just followed the instructions provided in a confirmation email from Windsor. It worked for me no problem, but if you did receive instructions, what part of it isn't working for you?

@jaylynn Finally got my OUAC profile set up for my 2-year application!  Just about to get eGAS up & running, thanks for your help! 

2 hours ago, nicolodeon said:

Does anyone know how many students are accepted into each specialization (i.e., Children and Families, Mental Health, etc.) for the UofT MSW program?

Are you applying to the 2 year or advanced standing? You don't declare specialization for the 2 year program.

On 11/21/2016 at 11:35 AM, nicolodeon said:

Does anyone know how many students are accepted into each specialization (i.e., Children and Families, Mental Health, etc.) for the UofT MSW program?

Mental Health and Health is the most competitive one while Gerontology stream usually receives least applicants..... 

On 11/21/2016 at 11:35 AM, nicolodeon said:

I'm currently in year 1 of the MSW program at U of T and we don't have to declare specializations until next semester. There is no competition, you just pick one. I'm not sure how it works if you're applying to advanced standing though! 

On 11/21/2016 at 10:35 AM, nicolodeon said:

I can't quite remember how many per specialization - but they take popularity into consideration! ie since mental health is the most popular, they'll offer extra mental health courses to accommodate the interest. Advisors have said to just be honest about your interest. 

Hope that helps!

I have a question for everyone who is applying to the 2-year program at UofT. The second question on the application says: "describe your skills and experiences (e.g. volunteer/work) that you believe are relevant to social work (with examples). In particular, please describe your experiences working with diverse and marginalized populations."

How have the rest of you approached this question? I'm struggling to answer it without simply regurgitating my resume! 

19 hours ago, riaveda said:

I have a question for everyone who is applying to the 2-year program at UofT. The second question on the application says: "describe your skills and experiences (e.g. volunteer/work) that you believe are relevant to social work (with examples). In particular, please describe your experiences working with diverse and marginalized populations."

How have the rest of you approached this question? I'm struggling to answer it without simply regurgitating my resume! 

Those applying to advanced standing have to answer the same question. Personally, I discussed a couple of skills I have that are relevant to social work (i.e. empathy), and how these skills have been demonstrated in particular work experiences. I addressed the next part by discussing which marginalized groups I have worked with and what I have found through working with such diverse populations. 

If you're someone who is coming out of school, you might not have as much volunteer/work experiences. In which case, I would just elaborate on one or two experiences you do have. I think here they're really just emphasizing the fact that social work requires a lot of understanding and they want to make sure you're someone who would be comfortable working with all types of people. 

Not sure if this helps, but it was my interpretation of the question. Best of luck!

6 hours ago, jaylynn said:

Those applying to advanced standing have to answer the same question. Personally, I discussed a couple of skills I have that are relevant to social work (i.e. empathy), and how these skills have been demonstrated in particular work experiences. I addressed the next part by discussing which marginalized groups I have worked with and what I have found through working with such diverse populations. 

If you're someone who is coming out of school, you might not have as much volunteer/work experiences. In which case, I would just elaborate on one or two experiences you do have. I think here they're really just emphasizing the fact that social work requires a lot of understanding and they want to make sure you're someone who would be comfortable working with all types of people. 

Not sure if this helps, but it was my interpretation of the question. Best of luck!

Thanks @jaylynn! I have had quite a few volunteer experiences but I wasn't sure how to tie them into a unified answer. Good luck with the rest of your statement :)

On 11/24/2016 at 2:41 PM, riaveda said:

I have approached this question by discussing two skills and one international experience. With each skill, I discussed an experience in which this skill was showcased and how it can contribute to and be relevant in social work. With the international experience, I described what I experienced and the how it impacted my own skills and how it encouraged me to operate should I be admitted to the MSW. Luckily for me, I have mostly worked with diverse and marginalized populations so that was not very difficult for me to incorporate. 

To differentiate this from my resume, I took a more anecdotal approach. Where my resume explained my roles and responsibilities of particular experiences, my written statement explained how it impacted me professionally and how it will contribute to my success in the field of social work. 

On 9/10/2016 at 7:37 PM, wishingonuoft said:

Hey all,

I got into the U of T MSW in 2015, now going into my second year. If you have any questions about the application process feel free to message me :)

Good luck and self care!

Hi @wishingonuoft! I was wondering if you could tell me what you think the school looks for in the statements. I dont have the best marks, but I do think that they hold a huge weight on your statements as well. 

2 hours ago, ssbbaker said:

Final day before the deadline for most programs? Best of luck to everyone still frantically writing/organizing/calling references!

the references are the worst, I feel so pesky! <_<

But ditto! good luck everyone. 

On 10/17/2016 at 10:28 AM, ssbbaker said:

Hi everyone!

So this is my first year applying - I've decided on applying to both U of T and Carleton for the 1-year Advanced Standing programs. Getting nervous about it already..

I graduated with my BSW earlier this year, where I did placements wit h the CMHA and a school division. I'm currently working full time for the WRHA (public health for you Ontario people) for a mental health program. I've previously worked for the government's social assistance program ~ 1600 hours, and have volunteered with a lot of mental health not for profits organizing awareness events (~ 300 hours I think), but also volunteering on suicide hotlines ~500 hours. I also have some research experience as I'm helping my friend with her masters, but it's not my own research so thats a bit of a downfall I think.

I went for a tour at U of T a few months ago and they recommended I join a board - only problem is I'm young and who wants young people on their boards?! So I'm working on that but I doubt it'll happen before it's time to get my CV in...

Hoping this is enough but who knows! It's helpful reading everyone else's experience :) How many schools are most people applying to??

Good luck to us --

Alot of youth focused organization are looking for young people to join their boards. FPYN (http://fpyn.ca/) posts board opportunities every now and then. 

http://www.mentalhealthcommission.ca/English/youth-council-opportunity

On 11/1/2016 at 3:06 PM, jaylynn said:

Hey all, 

For those applying to Windsor's Advanced Standing program, is anyone else familiar with how eGAS works? 

It says my references won't be notified until I submit everything else, but what if I can't complete everything before December 1 (the deadline). 

My mind is spinning with confusion. 

Hey! I'm applying to the Windsor Advanced Standing program as well, and I ran into this same issue! This response is probably a little late.. but I emailed the school and asked and they said as long as your documents are submitted by December 2 then everything is considered on time. Your references will then have 21 days to complete their portion, but it does not have to be before Dec 2. Hope that helps!

Good luck applying :)

Hi everyone.  I have an undergrad in business and would love to make a career change.  Unfortunately I have a GPA of 2.7 and no work experience to date in the field.  Reading this forum has been a real eye opener.  What do you think my chances of admission are at York, UofT or Laurier.  Please be honest.

Also I have seen that the University of Athabasca in Alberta offers an online MSW course.  I see that this course is accredited by the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy association.  Does anyone know whether the school has a decent reputation and whether one should apply?  It is less well known and I am hoping that admission would be easier.

I appreciate any responses in advance.

9 hours ago, bengali said:

Hi everyone.  I have an undergrad in business and would love to make a career change.  Unfortunately I have a GPA of 2.7 and no work experience to date in the field.  Reading this forum has been a real eye opener.  What do you think my chances of admission are at York, UofT or Laurier.  Please be honest.

Also I have seen that the University of Athabasca in Alberta offers an online MSW course.  I see that this course is accredited by the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy association.  Does anyone know whether the school has a decent reputation and whether one should apply?  It is less well known and I am hoping that admission would be easier.

Hi bengali,

Unfortunately without work experience to deflect from the GPA, I do not think the chances of you getting into York, UofT, or Laurier is very good. There is no evidence for the admissions review committee to believe you will be successful in this program. I'm sure if you upgrade some of your courses and do a year + or so of related experience it would truly increase your chances. Also, it might be useful to do some soul searching. If you want to make a career change but have no experience in the social services, how can one be sure this is what they want to do? It's one thing to think it's a good idea, it's another to actually see if you're capable of doing it. For example, I currently work on the ground in a First Nations community and I thought I wanted to work somewhere in this field hands-on. After a year of being here, I realized that I will burn out of I keep going at the pace I am and need to be helping these communities from a higher level (policy). Just something to think about, friend. Best of luck.

9 hours ago, bengali said:

I think it depends? What is your last year GPA? You should definitely try to gain more volunteer or work experience in the field. Also look into doing a two year BSW then doing the 1 year MSW. Much less competitive this way. With no volunteer or work experience and a low GPA, two year MSW programs isn't very realistic at the moment. 

On ‎2016‎/‎11‎/‎11 at 11:58 AM, katkatkat said:

Hi socialwerq!  

1) I am in the Foundational 2 year program, but I'm pretty sure it would be the same ... The program does run through the summer, but there are 2 summer terms you can choose from.  Fall semester is Sept-Dec, Winter is Jan-Apr and then you can do a summer course in either May/June OR Jul/Aug 

2) I am actually not sure about that, but it's definitely possible you would do a couple of courses during the summer term.  To clarify on that question you can email Marilyn Gale at marilyn.gale@ubc.ca :) 

Thank you for the info about the summer sessions, that is very helpful! :) 

Hi everyone! 

It's my second time applying to an MSW program (UofT last year - waitlisted). I'm applying to only UofT's program again this year for an MSW, but I also applied for a post-grad BSW at McMaster (my undergrad school) and three programs within UofT's OISE.

I have an Hons B.A. and double-majored in Health and Sociology. My GPA in my last 2 years at McMaster is a 4.0 (according to UofT's GPA scale). I got an A in both Statistics and Research Methods. I did not complete a thesis (big mistake on my part, since I have no other real research experience).

My most relevant social work experiences are volunteering at a women's transitional home as a shelter support worker/case worker, both (paid) worked and volunteered at a non-profit that connects Canadians in need with government resources such as ODSP and OW (was able to work with Syrian refugees as well), a non-profit that I co-founded that delivers food/toiletries/clothes/information pamphlets to homeless individuals and teen shelters in Toronto, soup kitchens, and food basket builds. 

Other experiences that are sort of relevant are: mentor at McMaster for first year students who are struggling with university life, a literacy tutor at an elementary school in a lower-privileged part of Hamilton, and a companion volunteer at a long-term care home.

All of these experiences combined equal to 995 hours in the past three years.

My references were the House Operator at the transitional home, my professor of 5 classes at McMaster, and the supervising teacher at the elementary school. 

I hope that this year will be better for me and that the new addition of volunteering at a transitional home on my resume boosts my chances.

Best of luck to you all!

Edited by rabschaud

On 9/10/2016 at 7:37 PM, wishingonuoft said:

Hey all,

I got into the U of T MSW in 2015, now going into my second year. If you have any questions about the application process feel free to message me :)

Good luck and self care!

Hey! How much formal research experience did you have when you applied, if you don't mind me asking?

7 hours ago, rabschaud said:

Hey! How much formal research experience did you have when you applied, if you don't mind me asking?

I was wait-listed last year as well, re-applying again, and I know UofT out of all MSW schools weighs pretty heavily on research experience. They are extremely big on evidence based practice and on-going research in the field of social work. 

I had 0 research experience when applying last year (was mid-way through my thesis). Now I have completed my thesis and have been working full time as an RA so hopefully have more luck this time around. 

A friend of mine is in the 2nd year of the program now and she had about 300 hours of RA experience and an A+ on her thesis. So it seems like that was enough to get her in (plus a good amount of volunteer experience and a 3.8 gpa).