So it is becoming apparent to me after 2 rejections that I may very well have to try to apply to grad school again at a later time. I was wondering if any of you had advice as to what to do if an individual was not able to get into graduate school straight out of undergrad? Did any of you apply to be an Speech Language Pathology Assistant? Also, if anyone has taken Post Bacc classes, do you have to apply in order to enroll into post bacc classes? Are you able to enroll into Post Bacc classes simply to boost your GPA? 

9 hours ago, Zaftik said:

So it is becoming apparent to me after 2 rejections that I may very well have to try to apply to grad school again at a later time. I was wondering if any of you had advice as to what to do if an individual was not able to get into graduate school straight out of undergrad? Did any of you apply to be an Speech Language Pathology Assistant? Also, if anyone has taken Post Bacc classes, do you have to apply in order to enroll into post bacc classes? Are you able to enroll into Post Bacc classes simply to boost your GPA? 

I enrolled in post bacc courses to boost my GPA and take classes I had never taken before and replace a couple grades!

Hello! I have been an SLPA for 5 years. It was my plan to become an SLPA before applying to grad school, but I was hoping to be in a program by now! I love working as an SLPA and I am so happy that I chose that route. I think I will be much better prepared for grad school when that happens (hopefully this year!). It has also given me the opportunity to see if it really is a good fit for me before investing into grad school. I have met SLPs who went straight through undergrad to grad school, and they have realized that they don't like it as much as they thought. 

I'm not sure what the job market is like where you're from, but it can vary from place to place. I have worked in Phoenix and Houston and did not have much difficulty finding jobs. I recommend being in an independent contractor over an employee if you are good with handing your finances. The hardest thing was getting my observation hours. I earned did my program online and therefore was unable to get university approved observation hours, so I had to go about that independently not only when I got my initial license, but also when I moved states. If you're still in school and haven't gotten those hours, make sure you do!

This cycle will be my 3rd time applying, so hopefully I get in! I have worked hard to strengthen my application through work experiences and volunteer experiences. If I don't get in I may have to suck it up and take some more classes. The pos-bacc classes really depend on the school University of Houston for example, requires you enroll in the entire post-bacc program. I took 1 pre-requisite I was missing for some colleges I applied to at University of Wisconsin Eau Claire online - and it was super easy to register, and get signed up for just the class I needed. The tuition wasn't too bad either I think I paid about 1,200 for a 3 credit course - and I was able to do it in 2 payments. 

Sorry that was a lot, but if you have any other questions about being an SLPA feel free to DM me!

I see your from Virginia, but if you want good experience in the school system, California hires SLP's with just bachelors degrees on "credential waivers".  You can get hired straight through the school district and they get the waiver for you and they pay you around $40-50k to work as an SLP.  There are a lot of districts in Southern California especially who will do this because of the huge shortage still.  I did it the year after undergrad and it was a huge learning curve the first few months but was good.  Even with a Masters degree now its still a learning curve within every district because each runs things differently or uses different software.  Hope that helps.

13 hours ago, Zaftik said:

I chose to become a SLPA after undergrad because I needed a mental break from all the studying and stress. I feel that was the best choice I made. Not only do you get a ton of hands-on experience to solidify if you truly want to be an SLP before spending thousands but I also got great LORs from SLPs and supervisors. I also did the waiver Twinguy7 referred to but that is only for 2 years and you no longer can apply for it unless you are enrolled into a grad program.I  took a few pre-reqs I needed that weren't required for my CD program but other schools did to boost my GPA (I did it through Eastern New Mexico online-super affordable). I taught English in Costa Rica over the summer and worked in a special needs camp to add to my volunteer experience. You still have a few schools to hear from, don't lose hope! But if all else fails take this next year to improve your application and do further research into schools. Hope this helps! :)

15 hours ago, tvl said:

I chose to become a SLPA after undergrad because I needed a mental break from all the studying and stress. I feel that was the best choice I made. Not only do you get a ton of hands-on experience to solidify if you truly want to be an SLP before spending thousands but I also got great LORs from SLPs and supervisors. I also did the waiver Twinguy7 referred to but that is only for 2 years and you no longer can apply for it unless you are enrolled into a grad program.I  took a few pre-reqs I needed that weren't required for my CD program but other schools did to boost my GPA (I did it through Eastern New Mexico online-super affordable). I taught English in Costa Rica over the summer and worked in a special needs camp to add to my volunteer experience. You still have a few schools to hear from, don't lose hope! But if all else fails take this next year to improve your application and do further research into schools. Hope this helps! :)

That's awesome! So did you get paid to teach English for the summer/work at the special needs camp or was it volunteer-based? If so, how did you manage to afford to volunteer and go to school without a consistent income?

I'm trying to figure out how to gain more hands-on experience whilst working a full-time job. It seems a lot of people in undergrad have financial help from their parents and that gives them a little bit of an advantage because they are able to gain experience without needing a paying job. Not trying to sound bitter, just trying to understand how I can make it work! 

I'm a little late, but I though I'd share my experience. This was my first time applying to grad school. I graduated in 2015 and knew I needed a break before applying. I even mentioned this is one of my interviews and they seemed to appreciate the honesty/self awareness (this was one of the schools that I was accepted to).

I moved to Houston and have worked as an SLPA in two settings for the past 1.5 years. I think this really helped my application because I was able to draw on real life experiences and demonstrate that I had gained experience in various settings. I asked my clinical supervisor to write one of my LoR. I know schools prefer PhD, but I felt she could also speak on behalf of my strengths and write about her experience working with me as her SLPA. Another suggestion is to consider enrolling in a Spanish/foreign language class. I believe this helped me(I had experience working with bilingual families, which allowed me to show I have experience working with multiple cultures and backgrounds). Another benefit of working as an SLPA is that it allows you to shadow a ton! Plus, you can save some money before grad school! :)

7 hours ago, StPaulCCC said:

I'm trying to figure out how to gain more hands-on experience whilst working a full-time job. It seems a lot of people in undergrad have financial help from their parents and that gives them a little bit of an advantage because they are able to gain experience without needing a paying job. Not trying to sound bitter, just trying to understand how I can make it work! 

There are paid jobs related to SLP aside from SLPA's/SLT's. Some options:

-Special Ed paraeducator

-Early Childhood Special Ed teacher (would need a certain number of units in ECE to get the credential)

-Applied Behavioral Analysis interventionist

-Academic Language Therapist

-Lindamood-Bell tutor

-Newborn Hearing Screener

-Respite provider for those with special needs

-Doing Clinical Nurse Assistant training (10 weeks at my local community college) and then working in a nursing home/rehab facility.

On 3/11/2017 at 1:56 AM, StPaulCCC said:

That's awesome! So did you get paid to teach English for the summer/work at the special needs camp or was it volunteer-based? If so, how did you manage to afford to volunteer and go to school without a consistent income?

Unfortunately, I did not get paid to teach English- I thought you needed to be certified for that but once I was there I was told by many people you can find work without it. I volunteered since my family is from Costa Rica I took it as an opportunity to volunteer/visit family/explore the country :)

I am totally on the same page! My family can't financially help me which is why I become a SLPA. The pay is pretty good in CA and I got a ton of hands-on experience. Honestly though I don't know how much volunteer experience really helps. Only 1/3 schools I applied to gave me the opportunity to state any volunteer experience- the rest didn't ask. So didn't worry too much if it is impossible, you can find other ways to improve your app :)

2 hours ago, tvl said:

Unfortunately, I did not get paid to teach English- I thought you needed to be certified for that but once I was there I was told by many people you can find work without it. I volunteered since my family is from Costa Rica I took it as an opportunity to volunteer/visit family/explore the country :)

I am totally on the same page! My family can't financially help me which is why I become a SLPA. The pay is pretty good in CA and I got a ton of hands-on experience. Honestly though I don't know how much volunteer experience really helps. Only 1/3 schools I applied to gave me the opportunity to state any volunteer experience- the rest didn't ask. So didn't worry too much if it is impossible, you can find other ways to improve your app :)

It sounds like regardless of the relevant school experience aspect, you had fun and were able to take time to grow as a person while learning. You're right, I think there are other parts of my current application I should make stronger (like my LORs). Thanks for taking the time to respond!

5 hours ago, StPaulCCC said:

It sounds like regardless of the relevant school experience aspect, you had fun and were able to take time to grow as a person while learning. You're right, I think there are other parts of my current application I should make stronger (like my LORs). Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Yes totally! I got different letters of rec this time around and I really think they helped me. Good luck!!

Right now my current plan is, if I don't get accepted, I am going to take online courses to full-fill the prereqs since I do not have my undergrad in CSD. I'm also applying for local community colleges to get into the SLPA program. I hope something works out for us all either way. It breaks my heart when I read about someone wanting to get into their desired program so badly, because it reminds me of myself. Good luck to you! I hope for the best!! :) 

I've been rejected from 5 schools and on the waiting list for 1....