JMAurelius
Members-
Posts
87 -
Joined
-
Days Won
3
Everything posted by JMAurelius
-
Congrats on the interviews and acceptance!! ??
-
Congrats on the interview invites, @applyingforfall2023 and @Fall2023Classics! And best of luck! I screwed up one of my interviews so badly that even now I still cringe a little when I think about it. lol
-
Welcome! Fingers crossed for you! ?
-
Congrats on the Oxford acceptance! ?
-
I know the feeling! The first time I applied, I got all rejections and I still remember exactly where I was when I received my last two rejections. I hope it works out for you and everyone else this round, but don't give up! I also did an MA before PhD. It definitely made me a stronger candidate when applied for PhD later. Here's an updated list of all the funded Classics MA/pre-doc/post-bacc programs in North America (plus one or two in Europe I think). Applications for some of them are still open. They should be open to international students, too, but don't take my word for it, and check with the programs. If you (or anyone else!) have any other questions or just want to chat, let me know!
-
When I applied to UChicago through Classics last year, I got the interview invite at the beginning of January and got the decision at the end of the month. Of course, that's last year and in any case NELC might follow a different schedule. Fingers crossed for you and everyone else!
-
For UChicago, are you applying through Classics or through Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations?
-
*summoning @Archaeogirl* ?
-
Happy holidays, everyone!??
-
How's everyone's application going?
-
Best of luck to everyone applying to grad school this round! You got this!! ?
-
I wonder whether, instead of history vs art history, it would be better to find scholars whose research interests match yours and whom you would like to work with, and then just apply to whichever program they are currently at. In some schools, a faculty might belong to two or more departments. For instance, a Byzantine art historian might be a faculty member of the Classics and the Art History Departments. So perhaps what the program is called is not quite as important as the faculty you can work with? In any case, best of luck!
- 5 replies
-
- history
- history ma
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Welcome! I'm more on the history track, so I'm not as familiar with the literature side of things, but from what I understand, Johannes Haubold at Princeton is a specialist on near-eastern influence on Greek epics (though you probably already know this ?). The SCS has a list of all the Classics graduate programs in North America. That might be a good place to start. When I was applying, I went through that list first and filtered out programs that I knew I would not be going no matter what (bc of location, weather, or whatever other reasons you might have). For the remaining programs, you can go over the faculty page on their websites and see if any might match your research interest. Or if you have read a book or article that really interest you, find out what programs the authors are currently at. You can also check with your advisor and other faculty in your current programs and see if they might have suggestions for which programs to apply to. Hope this helps a little!
-
So I'm curious. How many rounds of application did everyone go through? I went through a total of three and didn't have any luck till the second time around. It took me three tries to get into the department I'm in now (though technically I applied to a different program within the same department the first two times). Edit: typo
-
To continue the great work of our very own @ClassicsCandidate, here's the thread for this round of applications. Any questions, comments, thoughts, or whatever else related to applying to classics and classics-related graduate programs, post away!?
-
If I remember correctly, last year Notre Dame had sent out at least some of the rejections by now. I don't know if ND uses waitlists, but given how they accept only about two people each round, it does seem less likely that anything would be posted here. In any case, congrats on the other offers!
-
This is Awesome!! Congratulations! Well deserved!! ???
-
To those who are still waiting to hear back from the programs they applied to, best of luck!
-
Congrats!! ??
-
Here is a list of funded MA/Post-Bac/Pre-Doc Classics programs maintained by Liv Yarrow of Brooklyn College, updated for fall 2021. Check them out, especially those bridge programs such as those at Cornell and Princeton. They are specifically designed to prepare students for PhD programs. Everything else being equal, consider those programs offering funding packages that do not require TA/RA duties, which would allow you to focus on your study and getting ready to apply to doctoral programs.. As for summer intensive courses, if you can do one this summer, that should make your application this fall much more competitive. The CUNY Latin/Greek Institute is pretty good. It's not cheap, but they do offer scholarships that cover the entire tuition, and depending on your situation, the Society for Classical Studies might also have scholarships you can apply to and, if received, use to cover any summer income you might lose because of the full-time commitment required by the Institute. They are also offering basic programs in both Latin and Greek this summer, the timing of which works out great for you. Do note, however, that you cannot join a basic program if you have taken any course in that language, even if just one introductory course. So one possibility is as follows: Spring 2022: an intensive course in of the two languages (say, Latin) at your current school, i.e. one that covers the first two courses in a four-course sequence (in this case Latin 1 and 2). Summer 2022: a basic program in the language you didn't do in the Spring (say, Greek), either at CUNY or elsewhere. Fall 2022: the third Latin course in the four-course sequence; and apply to funded MA programs Spring 2023: the fourth Latin Course in the four-course sequence That should give you about two years of experience in Latin and about 1.5-2 years in Greek by the time you enter the MA program. OR Spring 2022: intensive course in one of the two languages (say, Latin) at your current school Summer 2022: an advanced intensive program in the same language (in this case Latin) at somewhere other than CUNY since they only offer basic programs this summer. Fall 2022: Greek 1 at your current school; and also an advanced Latin reading course Spring 2023: Greek 2 at your current school; and another advanced Latin reading course This would give you about 3.5-4 years of experience in one of the two languages (here Latin) and one year in the other (here Greek). This has the advantage of letting you focus on one language first and transition to the other language after you have had significant experience in the first. Of course, the more experience in both languages the better, but it's not uncommon for an applicants to be much stronger in one language and weaker in the other (that's true to some degree even with PhD applicants), and the admissions committees understand that. It's especially true for bridge programs since they are designed to help you improve on whatever weaknesses you have in your qualifications. These are just some suggestions. Feel free to adjust to your own needs or discard entirely! But do talk to your advisor, and if your school has a Classics department/program, talk to them as well. You do need to plan your course load now though. Three semesters can go by pretty fast. However you do it, it will be a lot of work, and many of those funded programs mentioned at the beginning are very competitive (don't quote me on this, but I think Notre Dame takes only two and Cornell takes only one each year?) But it is definitely doable, and if you are really passionate about doing Classics in grad school, go for it! Best of luck!
-
How Much Language Experience is Needed for MA Funding?
JMAurelius replied to Pasiphae's topic in Classics
I second what the others have already said. As for post-bacc, as far as I know, the only one that offers full funding is ESI PREP at Yale. It's not, however, specifically for Classics or classical archeology, so you will most likely be competing with applicants in other fields. But it's worth looking into if post-bacc is an option for you. -
Plans for All PhD Rejections - What Now?
JMAurelius replied to ClassicsCandidate's topic in Classics
Sorry to hear about the funding. Best of luck with the museum jobs and the UK applications! If anyone deserves it, it's you!- 14 replies
-
Is that the same as being placed on the waitlist? If so, that's good news! ?
