2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

My writing sample was quirky and a bit of a risk.

I jumped into the debate in Moral Psychology between the proponents of character-based and situation-based accounts of moral conduct. I propose a definition of 'moral education' that should be acceptable to proponents of either view and then argue that interactive digital media (video games and simulations) could be used as a tool to teach moral lessons by either side.

Edited by SirPyros

18 minutes ago, mynameismyname said:

Writing sample: topic was on expressivism and internalism. 

Just got an acceptance letter from OSU. I'm probably refreshing my email over 100 times a day at this point. Whew. 

Congrats!!

I applied to OSU and Purdue...both of which sent out letters today. Maybe not a good sign. Ah well.

But on the bright side, I got a call from Baylor to invite me to campus (it's a semi-acceptance, I think contingent upon a successful visit--they do it a bit differently there).

Can anyone claim the Saint Louis acceptance? I was disappointed to hear the phone call was on the 30th. That was the day my application was finally completed! My MA transcript had been lost and I didn't know it until two weeks ago and had it resent. I emailed the head of the committee and he said he would still consider my application but would need the transcript. So naturally I am disappointed that Saint Louis sent out an acceptance already. In past years it was the end of February for them. It's okay to be rejected because I'm not wanted but not because my MA transcript was lost. How disappointing.  

Edited by Neither Here Nor There

35 minutes ago, Neither Here Nor There said:

Can anyone claim the Saint Louis acceptance? I was disappointed to hear the phone call was on the 30th. That was the day my application was finally completed! My MA transcript had been lost and I didn't know it until two weeks ago and had it resent. I emailed the head of the committee and he said he would still consider my application but would need the transcript. So naturally I am disappointed that Saint Louis sent out an acceptance already. In past years it was the end of February for them. It's okay to be rejected because I'm not wanted but not because my MA transcript was lost. How disappointing.  

Don't lose hope. Their application isn't even due for another 13 days. Surely they will meet again after this deadline to choose more people to admit. Maybe you will be accepted then. Good luck!

My writing sample was on neutral monism (à la Mach, James, and Russell) and embodied consciousness. 

Curious to see how others are coping with the stress of waiting. Other than checking their email and gradcafe every 5 seconds...which I’m feeling is contributing to rather than alleviating my stress! But what a sweet sweet addiction it is. 

22 hours ago, be. said:

I can claim an acceptance to Toronto. The department is nominating me for a fellowship, so that explains the early notification. I’m told that more acceptances will be sent out later on.

Congratulations!!!

6 hours ago, Neither Here Nor There said:

I wouldn’t read too much into it. From what I’ve learned, many programs send out initial and early offers to entice students they really, really want to attract, especially if it’s bumping up to the application deadline for a fellowship for which they’d like to nominate the applicant. This sometimes means reaching out to an early applicant before the deadline.

23 minutes ago, Spinozian said:

anybody know anything about moving to canada from the us?

Easy.  If you are an American immigrating to Canada on a student permit, you can obtain the permit by flag poling. Just show up at the border and ask to go inside and apply for a permit. You need basically two things (1) acceptance letter and (2) proof that you have enough money. For proof, you need enough money to cover all the tuition and fees and about $1000 worth of income per month to pay for your living expenses. So for a 1-year MA, you need about $12,000 in the bank for living expenses + the amount you need for tuition and fees.

It does not have to all be cash, however, If you have a fellowship and TAship that counts. You can also work up to 20 hours per week off campus. If you have a phd offer, you have proof of income through the fellowship and TAship. So it will be no big deal. MAs are more likely only to be partially funded (enough to cover the fees and some living expenses) so you will need more cash in the bank.

You can also get your parents to send a copy of their bank statement +  notorized copy of their signature saying that they will provide funds if you run out.

If you are not American, flag poling will not be an option and there will be addition loopholes required. But it is very very easy for Americans as long as you can show proof that either you or the university or a combination of the two is providing enough funds for all your fees, tuition, AND living expenses. You will probably have to pay around $125 for the permit and expect to be at at the immigration building a few hours (probably because of long lines and I think they will run a background check on you, though they probably will not tell you they are doing that).

You can also bring your car if you are American. PM me if you have questions. 

Edited by Neither Here Nor There

9 hours ago, Goonasabi said:

Congrats!!

I applied to OSU and Purdue...both of which sent out letters today. Maybe not a good sign. Ah well.

But on the bright side, I got a call from Baylor to invite me to campus (it's a semi-acceptance, I think contingent upon a successful visit--they do it a bit differently there).

I applied to Baylor as well but I haven't heard back from them yet. Hopefully I get a call early next week! Around what time did you receive the call? And when is their prospective students weekend?

9 hours ago, Goonasabi said:

Congrats!!

OSU seems not to have sent all their offers out at once, so you might still have a pretty good chance. I'd assume the same with Purdue.

Concerning University of Chicago, can anyone confirm whether they are indeed doing interviews this cycle? If so, does anyone know if they have sent out interview requests to everyone they intended to send one out to? 

6 hours ago, Derrida said:

Concerning University of Chicago, can anyone confirm whether they are indeed doing interviews this cycle? If so, does anyone know if they have sent out interview requests to everyone they intended to send one out to? 

I can confirm this. My interview was on Thursday with two members of their faculty. The interviews were done for everyone who cleared the final round of review. They did not mention exactly how many applicants they'd be interviewing, but did mention that the final pool is "extremely small". I was also told that the final meeting about decisions was held on Thursday evening itself, and that they expect to communicate decisions by early next week. 

1 hour ago, Metanoia said:

I can confirm this. My interview was on Thursday with two members of their faculty. The interviews were done for everyone who cleared the final round of review. They did not mention exactly how many applicants they'd be interviewing, but did mention that the final pool is "extremely small". I was also told that the final meeting about decisions was held on Thursday evening itself, and that they expect to communicate decisions by early next week. 

Damn. Congratulations to everyone who was interviewed! Being accepted to Chicago is definitely an achievement.

Another lurker new to the site here! Saw that a few people got DePaul interviews- does anyone know if they contacted everyone who will be interviewed, or if there is still hope for next week? My nerves may not last all of February. 

14 hours ago, incredulous_stare said:

I applied to Baylor as well but I haven't heard back from them yet. Hopefully I get a call early next week! Around what time did you receive the call? And when is their prospective students weekend?

I got a call around noon on Friday. The prospective student trip is March 15-17. I have no idea when they call, or if they called other people. So it could be any time this week. I hope you get a call!